Reiner Knizia games wants iphone game developer

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by mrbass, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Basically Reiner Knizia wiki is a German board game designer and probably the most famous in world of board games.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3207172

I have most of his boardgames...very strategic. For those not familiar with his games you still might be able to port them. Lemme just tell you some of my favorite ones post links to some online play so you can quickly get an idea.

RA see game info here currently #24 boardgame on bgg. Great auction one and each game due to the tile draw and you need to adjust your strategy on the fly). I'd love to play this 2 player or 3 player wifi or heck even internet. There exists a PC (unofficial port) that has an AI of this. To me not all that fun.

Lord of the Rings Confrontation see bgg and here is a spin on Stratego but way better. Deluxe version is also out. Great 2 player game.

Amun-Re a see bgg Knizia title (turned based) I used to be champion at Tikal on that website. (completed game screenshot) play online here.

Lost Cities see bgg would be probably the easiest to port and probably one of the all time high sellers if you get to port it. I play it on my ds and own the card game too. Very simple 2 player game. I play it on my DS which I have version there. You can play online here. Battle Line is similar see bgg

Tigris & Euphrates kinda hardcore game but with panning around it might work. play online here.
    Tigris & Euphrates

Samurai this is one of my all time favorites by far. I have an overview on my site here and bgg. Also I use to play a lot of it online here.

Taj Mahal see bgg another hardcore one like Tigris & Euphrates. Play online here

Modern Art see bgg is awesome but personally don't think it would work too well on iphone.

Ingenious see bgg I'm sure this would be a huge hit. Use to play it online but taken down since official PC version is out.

Hollywood Blockbuster see bgg parody names due to movie, actors theme to avoid copyright but still a fun auction game which I have.

Medici wow this auction game I love btw my sister is one in photo holding Medici boardgame see bgg.

Anyway I think those are some of his main staple games although he has hundreds. Personally I think you need to be a huge publisher or an extremely talented developer with a few hit titles to be considered. My opinion the ones with the most mass appeal and huge sellers would be in this order
    1) Lost Cities (easy rules to learn, quick play, against AI is semi decent too).
    2) Ingenious easy too but not would require some panning to see whole board.
    3) Samurai (actually this might be best seller with Lost Cities since AI is fun to play too...I have pc and mac version and of course couple copies of boardgame too). Extremely strategic.
    4) LOTR Confrontation...guessing it'd be successful but not sure if Reiner would have to renegotiate licensing rights or not so I'm don't have my hopes up.

2. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    I remember playing a really great PC port of Samurai. The developer had to discontinue it for whatever reason though.

3. #3 mrbass, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
    That PC / Mac port I believe you can still download demo. Anyway Knizia has over 300 games and went through his list and these ones you might also consider porting to iphone well perhaps not all would work but these are the ones I like of his so you don't have to look at all 300 especially if you haven't a clue about em.

Circus Flohcati card game
    Colossal Arena card game
    Euphrates & Tigris Card Game not as good as boardgame but decent
    Fish Eat Fish quick and easy board game
    High Society one of my all time favorite ones but not sure if this 3 to 5 player game would work on iphone though.
    Ivanhoe a classic card game 2 to 5 players
    Kingdoms can play online at bgg...this one is decent believe movie Beowulf remade this and called it Beowulf Board Game.
    Loot quick
    card game...I have this one.
    Lost Cities Board Game (German board game of year 2008)
    Money! always wanted to play this but never could cuz couldn't find a copy and not
    sure if it ever got reprinted.
    Palazzo love this game..build Palaces...I love it so much wrote a Quick Reference for it.
    Pickomino dice game....I wasn't too hot about it but the others I played with sure were.
    Poison really like this for a while....think it's if your cause a cauldron to hit 13 you take the cards with the poison (which you don't want).
    Razzia! this is a mafia card game like RA.
    Relationship Tightrope quick nice little game I've played a few times before.
    Strozzi is 2 player version of Medici
    Taj Mahal I have this one it's pretty good but might be too hardcore. There is an AI for this one online I've played a few times.
    Through the Desert actually this would be really fun to play on iphone..love this one. Please if you do develop it NO PINK CAMELS or at least give us option to change color.
    Too Many Cooks nice trick taking game...often overlooked.
    Tower of Babel might work but probably too hardcore.
    Trendy ...fashion design card game..yes I own this one I admit it.
    Winner's Circle great horse racing gambling game with some blind betting / bluffing.

Forgot to add Blue Moon like Magic the Gathering and the tons of expansions and the board game version Blue Moon City (have that one)

4. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

5. Appy_Entertainment

Appy_Entertainment Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Brand Director
    Carlsbad, CA
    Many of Knizia's games would be brilliant additions to the iPhone library. Provided the AI was strong I'd love to play them.

6. It appears they've narrowed it down to a few big publishers which is great news. I honestly don't care who it is as long as the ball is rolling. Sweet Lost Cities via bluetooth anyone?

7. cmfnyc

cmfnyc Active Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Loved Samurai

I loved playing Samurai on my Mac and would be interested in an iPhone version.

8. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    I would buy any Knizia game for iPhone without even blinking. I own quite a number of his games, and many of his smaller games could work on the iPhone just fine. Card games like Korsar/Loot, Lost Cities, En Garde, Money, Blue Moon... I would be in heaven to be able to play these mobile.

The Samurai computer game was withdrawn which was a shame. I still play it quite often, and the boardgame is one of our gaming groups favourites.

Not only Knizia, but Michael Schacht, Alan Moon, Bruno Faidutti etc. could jump on the bandwagon too. I'm quite sure the market in US and Europe would be large enough to make any well-made boardgame adaptations worthwhile.

Of course, Apple should find a way around the 148 app limit first!

9. conlan

conlan Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Mobile Developer
    California
    Knights of Charlemagne

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd chime in here, that Reiner Knizia's Knights of Charlemagne is planned to be released to the iTunes appstore on April 8.

I've also posted to BoardGameGeek as well, you can see the original thread here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/394934

There's some screenshots there too :)

10. phishboy

phishboy Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Hampton, VA
    Thanks for the update on that on. I ws very curious which game it would be.

BGG is a great site for all who have not checked it out BTW :)

11. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    In a bit of serendipity, our studio adapted Reiner Knizia's card game Poison to the iPhone shortly before he issued that announcement. It's in the AppStore now. If you're a fan of the original, I feel it translates well to the platform-- it's easy to learn and a nice game to load up if you have a few minutes to kill. It's a single-player game with 3-5 AI opponents.

~Ryan

AppStore Link
    Web page
    Original board game (on Board Game Geek).

Here's the press release:

REINER KNIZIA’S POISON DEALS DEADLY FUN
    Griptonite Games Releases Popular Strategy Card Game for iPhone, iPod touch

KIRKLAND, WA – April 6, 2009 – Griptonite Games, a Foundation 9 Entertainment studio, announced today the release of Reiner Knizia’s Poison for the iPhone and iPod touch. Based on the popular card game, Reiner Knizia’s Poison is a fast-paced, strategic, press-your-luck experience. The game is priced at $2.99 and is available immediately from Apple's App Store on iPhone and iPod Touch or at http://www.itunes.com/appstore/

"As a longtime fan of traditional card and boardgames, I’m incredibly excited to bring one of Dr. Knizia’s acclaimed games to the iPhone,” said Griptonite Studio Head, J.C. Connors. "Poison is addicting, atmospheric, and challenging all at once, and it’s great to play on the go!”

It’s an exciting battle of skill, luck, and nerves in Reiner Knizia’s Poison. As potion-makers brewing magic elixirs, players play numbered Potion cards into one of three, colored cauldrons, being careful not to overfill them. The player who overfills the cauldron must take all of the cards that go with it, including any of the deadly Poison cards that were mixed in! Players with either the most or least of a Potion at the end of the game might just have a chance of surviving the potions lab and winning the game.

The game features three different game modes, a challenging AI opponent, and distinctive music and sound effects.

About Griptonite Games
    Griptonite Games is the leading developer of high quality, fun games for handheld platforms. Located in Kirkland, WA, the studio employs over 100 people who are passionate about making handheld games. The studio has shipped over 50 titles across most of the major handheld platforms including GBC, GBA and DS, and is currently developing games for DS, PSP, iPhone and iPod Touch. Griptonite is a Foundation 9 Entertainment Studio. For more information, please visit: www.griptonite.com.

About Foundation 9 Entertainment
    Foundation 9 Entertainment is the largest independent games developer in the world. The company has studios across North America, Europe and Asia, making it a development powerhouse, uniquely positioned to deliver quality games on all gaming platforms for all age groups. The company's studios are masters in working with licensed properties and have collectively developed more than 500 titles since 1992, including more than 60 in 2007 alone. For more information, please visit: www.f9e.com.

About Reiner Knizia
    With more than 500 published games and books, selling more than 10 million copies in numerous countries and languages, Dr Reiner Knizia is the world’s most prolific games designer. His numerous international awards include two German Game of the Year Awards, four German Game Prizes, three French Grand Prix du Jouet, three Austrian Game Awards,
    two Japan Board Game Prizes, the Spanish Game of the Year, the Swiss Game Award and five European Children Game of the Year Awards. Reiner Knizia was born in Germany and now lives in the UK. He gained a Master of Science from Syracuse Uni******* in the USA and a PhD in Mathematics from the Uni******* of Ulm in Germany. After managing a £2bn
    financial company, he now dedicates his time solely to designing games. Further information can be found at www.knizia.de.

The iPhone® and iPod® touch are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.

Attached Files:

12. #12 mrbass, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Following have been officially announced and are in development for iphone and/or iPad.
    Medici, Ra, Samurai, High Society, Kingdoms

I'm really excited about all five of those.

A few more that would be nice to come out.
    Fish Eat Fish
    Tigris & Euphrates (really hoping for this classic!!!!)
    Amun-Re (also a favorite too)
    Lost Cities (yes Keltis Oracle kinda but not quite the same)

Following Reiner Knizia Games have been released
    Knights of Charlemagne
    Keltis Oracle
    Money
    Monumental
    Poison
    Robot Master
    Roto
    Topas

13. richmlow

richmlow Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Research Mathematician
    Ingenious has also been released for the iPhone. Also, I believe that "Through the Desert" is being ported.