Press Release on a weekend?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CodeCritical, Nov 13, 2010.

1. CodeCritical

CodeCritical Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2010
    YEAH! Our app went live.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should wait until Monday to send out the press releases, or do it today.

Thoughts?

Many thanks

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

what difference would it make? if you receive a email at work on sunday you are reading it on monday.. or do you skip over it because you did not received it at the same day?

well i assume your sending youre "press release" via email..

i have all my accounts with me on my iphone so i recieve anything everyday. even if im not @work.

3. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    That is why he is asking. Some people will read their mail at the weekend, but not do anything about it at the time, then forgot about it when they reach the office.

It is a fine balance. It can seem old news if you wait until the weekday, but get lost at the weekend.

I think many would leave relatively generic emails unread until Monday morning and then deal with them in one go, so I would release the information at the weekend. It could be dealt with early on Monday morning before becoming jaded with the volume that is sent that day.

4. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well actualy no.. i don't work based on the emails i recieve on the iphone..
    when i get into the office the mail client still holds the same emails so i see them twice at least. i also get my mail on my home computer and my ipad.. so i actualy get them on alot of devices.

but if youre press release isn't catching my interest in the first place it doesnt matter if you send it now or tomorrow.. at the end there is no "harm" in waiting.

5. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    I'm guessing there is no right or wrong on this, probably just opinions. My thought about sending it on the weekend is that, if not read when received, there may be a log jam of emails on Monday morning, where as if it's sent out later in the day on Monday, it may be read upon receipt. While I would LOVE to assume my press release is the most important thing in a reviewer's day, I'm guessing that won't be the case.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this one way or the other.

Many thanks for the input.

6. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well you could ask hodapp about it.. he might be the one getting your email in the first place.. the rest of us is sitting on the other side of the table :)

7. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    Heh! Yup, agreed.

I am doing the marketing for the group and find that most people know lots about the development, but there isn't really much out there about marketing. Seems to change on a dime.

I do appreciate the feedback, though.

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I handle corporate communications and you never put out a press release Thursday-Sunday as a rule of thumb. Your key dates are Monday through Wednesday, and Tuesday is really your ideal day since everyone puts out announcements on Mondays.

Thursdays-Sundays are not ideal for a variety of reasons. Thursdays and Fridays are days that writers are typically wrapping up their week unless it's something really newsworthy. Weekends are not good for the obvious fact that most emails end up sitting there or wind up in junk folders that most don't bother to check upon returning at the beginning of the work week.

Keep in mind that I do PR for a living, and you should really be doing a lot of pre-briefings and marketing activities before the release of your game. In many ways, doing marketing activities post-release already puts you behind. A press release is really the last step of your launch activities, and by itself doesn't do much to help with generating buzz. Other tools such as social media, contests, and special promos among others should be part of your overall strategy.

9. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    Big Albie, that is exactly what I knew in my old life as a straight PR/Marketing gal. I know that this arena is SO different, that I wasn't sure if perhaps the rules were varied. Now that folks are working 24/7, perhaps a weekend PR isn't as bad as it use to be, then again ... maybe not ;)

I think I'm going to send a few out each day, and see what happens. The learning curve is ever steep.

Melia

10. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Hey Melia, the old school rules still apply to a certain degree. But, I hear you on this new arena we're in. Obviously if your game releases on a Thursday and you know in advance, then you plan accordingly. But with social media and the growing online presence, there are new dynamics to consider. For me, I still use the old rules as a guide and if I need to adjust or decide to create my own rules, then so be it. Having said that, putting stuff out on a weekends is still something I wouldn't do barring other circumstances just because you have to assume that most writers are gone for the weekend even in this 24/7 world.

Drop me a line a sometime and we can talk shop. ;)

11. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I would expect that the weekend is typically still going to be a horrible time to do any kind of PR. You want your news to hit and get disseminated when people are at the workplace, out and talking and all that.. the weekend will find lots of folks ignoring email (and anything "office-related") as mentioned above.

Delicate marketing is really crucial to properly releasing an app these days, what with the sheer volume of releases. I feel that it's become so much more important than the quality of the app itself in many cases (sadly!)

12. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    Agreed!

As we gave a kid focused game, we did send through some press releases to mom blogs, but are saving the bulk until tomorrow.

Appreciate all the thoughtful feedback.

Melia