iPad Dungeon Raid (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Nov 15, 2010.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hup Hup Hooray! Long Live FireFlame and Dungeon Raid! :D

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Right before i read FF's reply to you, i took a deep breath. Now I can breathe Happy! Hahaha!

Cheers!

3. CrashingBore

CrashingBore Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Germany
    great, great news. thanks for sharing!

4. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I think it doesn't really make much sense, because the strength of the skulls themselves vary within a pretty narrow range based on the turn number, and so just by seeing how strong the skulls are getting, you can measure the difficulty directly; you don't need the turn number for that.

5. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    While that is true... I still think the lack of the turn count makes it harder for people to determine where they are. Putting the turn count in there will make it much easier to break down the game and reduce any current feeling of randomness the game has which Fireflame wants to keep in there. He wants each trip to feel different. Right now all you have is a rough idea which I feel is what Fireflames intent is and I get why he wants it that way now. He wants the end of the game to be more of a question mark and not a known formula so as to build the intensity of games and that feeling of "how much longer can I survive?". I think that's a good tactic from a design standpoint.

6. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Well, the problem is that it depends on the player. I am more analytical, it's obvious to me right away that the games are all nearly the same, and I can give you a very good estimate of where I am in the difficulty curve just by looking at the skulls. To someone else it might not be so obvious. If you really want the games to not feel the same, you can hide some partial information, which works with some players but not others, or you can actually make the games different.

7. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I understand Fireflame's reasoning. I would still like to have it from a personal standpoint to see where I am compared to past games from an achievement standpoint("Only 10 more turns to my best!!"), but I get where he's coming from.

Glad to hear he's working on it again.

8. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I'm slightly befuddled here. I've been playing a current game for what seems like EONS. I'm Level 225 and have a score of about 65k, I think this is one of my highest scores so far, but my problem is this...

Throughout all this playing, however, I have not leveled up once. And I'm at a level now where there's NOTHING I can do to kill myself. I think I've gotten stuck like this before where I've been unable to level up, but somehow I've died - but crap I've got 192 armor, 1770 health and I'm INVINCIBLE... it seems..

I'd hate to kill myself now just to put an end to it, but I can't just keep going if I'm never going to level up.

Has anyone ever been in this position?

9. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'm not sure what you mean by not leveling up. If you're level 225, then you must have leveled up, lots of times (224, exactly).

If you're feeling invincible, maybe you're on Easy difficulty.

10. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Yep. I'm an idiot, I was on easy. I'll go hang my head in shame now.

11. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I think it's not just you, there is some way of accidentally changing difficulty to Easy. The number of people who've reported it is too large for everyone to explicitly choose it by accident. It would be nice if the current difficulty level were visibly displayed in the game somewhere.

12. spudd

spudd Member

Nov 1, 2011
    The reason I find myself paying Easy, is because I've just introduced the game to someone else, and they will choose Easy to learn the game. Then I forget to change it back before I start a new game for myself.

13. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #2233 eflin, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    So the gold build is definitely the way to go. I just had my best run yet and cracked the top 20 on gamecenter. I've only done like 6 high score runs with the gold build too. Not too shabby!

14. DOOMBOT

DOOMBOT Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    How the heck do people score 65k+? Best score I've gotten is like 3k... on Normal or whatever, not Easy.

15. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #2235 eflin, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    I've done a bunch of strategy posts that might help you in this thread. If you have any specific questions just post here and I'd be happy to help!

EDIT: Here is my most recent one. There are more though. Keep in mind that I keep getting better though so the newer the post is the better/more relevant it likely is (particularly back when fireflame was updating the game as things changed ALOT). This one I'm linking is from before I figured out the right way to do the gold build so I might tweak it a little now a days but it's a good start none the less!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1974825&postcount=2093

16. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I really sort of want to go back to this game, but I don't want to unlock everything. Can anyone suggest a way that I can unlock all of the content without hundreds of hours of waiting for trophies to drop? I don't want to jailbreak, but if it's just a matter of copying a file into user space on my iPad, I could do that. Anyone who gives me a specific, easy formula that works, I'll paypal you $100.

17. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I just did a couple games on adventurer with big game hunter and unlocked all the classes. Since then I just have been slowly unlocking the stuff I like. One trick is to play the build you like and if you have maxed it out then the next game you start the first guy will drop a trophy (assuming you killed a bunch of specials with the maxed put class). So kill one special... Get the trophy... Exit out... Start a new game with the build you like... Rinse and repeat... I've been doing this with my high score runs and have almost fully levelled the last few classes I didn't really like or use while playing the way I like too.

18. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Yeah, that's just not for me.

19. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    #2239 Drexiel, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    there are programs that enable you to transfer save file data withouth jailbreaking your device...

i was looking for a ways to transfer data with a jailbroken device but all i always found was with non jailbroken devices

here's a how-to-geek tutorial... i haven't done it but i used to frequent that site and what ever i needed, they ALWAYS provided a working toturial

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/41631/how-to-backup-and-copy-data-between-ios-devices/

you could ask for the save file of someone who had everything unlocked and use that to transfer it to ur device...

i only have 4 classes unlocked so i can't really provide you with the necessary data

20. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Yeah, I've transferred save files successfully before (for other apps). Most games store their save files in user space, it is easy to access and transfer those files. It's possible to store data in protected space, that you can't access without jailbreaking, but I doubt DR does that (I haven't checked).