Favorite Platformer(s)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GoofyJmaster., Jan 9, 2012.

1. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #1 GoofyJmaster., Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    Made this as a thread specifically for deiscussing past, present, and future platformers on iOS!

A couple of my favorites:
    Lumi
    Terra Noctis
    League of Evil
    Mos Speedrun
    Bit-1

Looking Forward too:
    Paper Monsters
    Star Marine: Infinite Ammo
    Jazz: Jump's Journey
    Heroki

I'm going to update my post later to categorize later. I have a ton of platformers and I kinda like em' all. :D

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    http://t.co/dj9QaFQ2 a folder of platformers that exist on my ipod atm. Some quality games like Stardash and Meganoid aren't included as I got stuck on them and removed :p

3. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    NICE...Lumi!!!

I'm going to check out Archibald and Tero.

4. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    There are a handful of threads on this, but every time I learn about some new game. Lumi for e.g.

Anyways, my top 10, in order, are

1. Soosiz
    2. Gears (Ball rolling platformer)
    3. 1-bit Ninja
    4. Robot wants Kitty
    5. League of Evil
    6. Babylonian Twins
    7. Edge/ Edge Extended
    8. Mos Speedrun
    9. Bounce 1 & 2
    10. Gravity Runner

Yet to play:
    Terra Noctis, Evertales, Emberwind, Mystery Ball, Gianna Sisters

Note:
    I don't call endless runners platformers, but if there is a level based ending, like Mirror's Edge, i'd call it a platformer.

Anyways, I don't think there are any hidden gems in my list. They are all great to own if you like platformers though

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #5 backtothis, Jan 9, 2012
    Some very popular platformers from around 2009:

-Rolando series
    -Toybot series
    -Spybot

Started it all off for platformers for me on the iOS.

LOLavi and Spidey have a pretty solid list of some favorites. I still need to get LostWinds one of these days.

6. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    More obvious but good ones to throw in there:
    Shantae
    Crazy Hedgy (whats with all the average reviews online)
    Sonic CD (and some bits of 4)

Terra Noctis, Robot wants Kitty and League of evil all kick ass too.

7. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah the latest thread I could find was Best platformers. I thought I would create a fres thread for favorite platformers because there are so many. Honestly, my best/favorite platformer switches each time I open up a different game...lol. For instance Lumi and Terra Noctis are awesome, but I like them for different reasons.

Anyways, I made this thread more for general platformer discussion, and I'm making it a task of mine to keep it rightfully updated!

:):(

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    There's definitely been a wave of good ones as of late, ranging from Sonic CD to Crazy Hedgy. Great time for platformer fans.

9. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Most definitely! I left a lot out so I could categorize my list properly. I'm still not sure how I want to arrange things though.

10. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    #10 Qurao, Jan 9, 2012
    These are the ones I found entertaining enough to keep on my device:
    Giana Sisters (best platformer on iOS in my opinion)
    Terra Noctis
    Sonic CD
    Shantae
    Mystery of the Japanese Werewolf

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    To add to my list:

Gears
    Soosiz
    Edge Ex
    Mirror's Edge(finished too fast though!!)

I wouldn't say I've enjoyed the short time I've had with LostWinds so far with the weird gust controls, but I hope it gets better later. Same goes for Sonic CD. Got it from freemyapps, had it for few days and then removed. Not my type.

How's Giana Sisters btw? Unfortunately missed the sale.

12. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    The first couple of levels are a bit bland, but it gets good. The controls feel right and it has a nice handpainted look.
    It has a free version that you could try out.

13. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    For all the fuss about virtual buttons, Platformers are really proving that they aren't much of an issue. It's a genre which has some great representation, solid controls and the games are just plain fun to play on iOS devices. Picking top10 is really tough. I had to leave out NyxQuest which is one of those rare platformers which I preferred on the iPad. My wishlist of platformers is a large one as well.

I remember when 2009 started I used to lament the lack of "Mario-type" games. Oh how far we've come since then.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Here's my theory on Crazy Hedgy: it does what it does so well that it comes across as effortless, and reviewers just don't get how difficult it is to get it right.

I would put CH near the top of my list (certainly the best 3D one). Frogatto and Terra Nocte are up there too, together with Oscura, Cordy, Gianna Sisters, Storm in a Teacup, Pizza Boy, Roboto (on A5 only), NyQuest, and Shantae.

Paper Monsters will be on that list when it comes out (I'm on the beta test).

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Favorite: Frogatto
    Runner up: League of Evil (for when I can concentrate)
    Least favorite: League of Evil (for when I can't concentrate) lol...

Other ones that I liked a lot include
    Shantae
    MOS Speedrun
    Giana Sisters (played the DS version though)

Just started Terra Nocte and looking great so far..but don't think it can beat my person favorite... Good lists though. I like thread like this that keeps updating with newer games. =D

16. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Soosiz is my all time fave.

I like pizza boy, meganoid and most recently terra noctis

17. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Terra noctis
    Robot loves kitty ( I think)
    Undead ocEan
    Soozis
    Cavorite
    Shantae(more adventure)
    League of evil
    Cheese Man
    Arcade Jumper
    Run kity run
    Sonic cd
    Megaman x
    Max & TMM
    Landa panda
    Air penguin
    1 bit ninja
    Froggato
    Nyx quest
    Inertia ve
    Doodle jump
    Pix'n love rush
    DRWAPS
    Fruit jelly
    Stardash

18. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #18 GoofyJmaster., Jan 9, 2012
    First off, it's awesome that we're getting some good discussions going on because there are so many platformers and at times things may get pricey for people. Hell, I know best that the small iOS prices can sneak up on you. I'll check my email and find out I spent almost $50 in a few days, but it never feels like you spent that much when the buy button says a buck or two.

Plus, since I've been on here I've seen that a lot of people really like platformers as much as I do. Before I got my first iDevice I was playing platformers on miniclip and my Gameboy Advance from time to time to play my guilty pleasure...Mega Man. But tbh, I stopped playing platformers for the most part until I got my iPhone a little more than 2 years ago.

Anyways...

Yeah, I'm not really picking a top ten either, but listing my favorites into categories. There's so many and a lot are unique in their own way, whether it's in design or controls. Lumi is by no means a traditional platformer, but it seriously knocked my socks off. I honestly fell in love with the game and I will be contacting the dev this week to see if we'll see anything new in the future. The thing is, I would've never known about it if Darth Ronfar didn't mention it.

As far as controls, I don't really mind the touch controls for the most part. I made this same comment in the Star Marine thread, but on the flipside there are some games that I wouldn't mind having a gamepad for. The only thing is I'm not 100% sold on the iCP and the iCade doesn't fit the bill for some games IMHO. Plus, I really don't want to buy an iPad because I think it'll be a waste of money in my case.

Yeah, I saw your comment on STP. I have to agree with your theory as well. IDK if we'll be reviewing CH due to wanting to really focus on this year, but it will be included in my 2011 Flashback with very high remarks.

There's 3 huge platformers I currently have my eyes on: Paper Monsters, Star Marine, and Jazz: Jump's Journey. What I'm most hoping for this year is a Lumi update. That game is amazing and I want some new stuff added so I can play some more...I want delve deeper into the Lumi universe.

19. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Bean's Quest and Pizza Boy are both damn good.

20. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Apart from RPGs and puzzle games, platformers are one of the main genre of games on my iPhone.

So here goes my list:

- Archibald’s Adventures – after trying out the lite version I just couldn’t wait for a sale and got the game at full price. And I’m glad I did. One of those AppStore gems you just can’t miss if you are looking for a great mix of platform and puzzle game.
    - Giana Sisters – great remake of a great classic. Lots of levels, beautiful graphics, nice music spiced up with chiptune sounds.
    - Adventures of Timmy – Run Kitty Run – brilliant game with specific, a bit dark atmosphere. Controls could be a bit more precise though. Apart from that it is just fantastic.
    - Terra Noctis – one of the most beautiful pixel art platform games out there. I just got this on the last sale and after finishing the first world I can say that this is one of the best platformers I’ve ever played, on any system. Interesting thing is that this is probably the first pixel art game that doesn’t run super butter smooth on my 3GS. Fps varies around 20-30 I think…
    - Frogatto – another AppStore gem, and with the last update it’s even better. Must – have.
    - Shantae – everything is great about this game, apart from the ugly blue frame around the game screen, can’t get used to it (o_O).
    - Sonic CD – a great example that a proper, well made port, tailored for iOS really IS possible. You hear me there, Square Enix?

Other must – have platformers (imho):

- League of Evil
    - Mos Speedrun
    - Pizza Boy
    - Bean’s Quest
    - Pix’n Love Rush
    - Meganoid
    - Storm in a Teacup
    - Max and the Magic Marker
    - Mirror’s Edge
    - NyxQuest
    - Rolando / Rolando 2
    - Soozis
    - Undead Ocean
    - 1-bit Ninja
    - Sonic 1 and 2, despite the old Sega emulated versions. It would be great to see them both refreshed with this new Sonic CD engine, hmmm :)