Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. staffordling

staffordling Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Looks like it might be a good game but always crashes right after I start it.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It plays fine on my brother-in-law's ipad2, and plays perfectly on my ipad mini... So im not sure what you're experiencing.

3. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Runs fine one my iPad2 as well, only downside is it drains A LOT of battery...
    Did you do the usual stuff, like close all background applications and restart your iPad?
    Memory garbage collection isn't perfect on any operating system, so sooner or later your memory will be filled up with just that, garbage. Restarting should help.

4. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #924 Sheinfell, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Oh, and to all the people complaining about the free lite version:
    Geez, cut the devs some slack, will you?

The only quibble I have with it is that they did not release a lite version right at the start, so folks who are on the fence can give it a shot.
    You get a nice game - which others would sell as a full game for a few bucks, just in case you forgot that - and the prologue of the main game for free, to give it a shot and see if you like it.
    And if you own the full version, you get a second game for free, see the part about other devs selling the Quest mode as full game above.
    So what is your damn problem?

As for price:
    Prices on iOS are so ridiculously low for games, I ABSOLUTELY don't see what people are complaining about. If you want any application - not just games - for a penny, you get what you pay for. But then, don't complain that all you get is crappy low-quality games...
    Work on your entitlement issues, I mean it.

Many games - and I'd think Horn is one of them, big cheers for the devs here - have as much effort poured into them as software for the professional market. Take a look around the Appstore, and notice some of the prices for professional apps. 100+ Euros is common, and I have seen several that hit the 1000$ pricelimit of the Appstore.

I know how much effort can go into a well-developed game, and while I am part of a minority both in the iOS market in general and on TA specficially, I absolutely do not mind paying good bucks for good quality. Hell, if the iOS environment weren't as crazy and "race to the bottom" as it is, we would not have IAP nonsense, but decently priced games (say, Horn for 20€, Baldur's Gate for 40€ instead of 20€), and people would be cheering about the fantastic value they get for their money, instead of bitching about a game that costs less than 10€ being too expensive, and "we waitz till it be free".

So, rant over, had to get that out of my system. Back to enjoying the new Quest mode of the full version, which I gladly paid for.

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... I really hate it when people complain about $7 premiums. $7 for a game like Ravensword 2 or Horn is cheap as hell. I abandoned my PS3 because of this reason. Plus, i can take the games with me anywhere. even SE's premiums like FF3 & 4 and the Chaos Rings titles are cheap for what they offer in return.

Ironically, most of those who think every game should be a buck are also the ones complaining of freemiums.

6. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Ditto. This, and RS2, are both well worth the money.

7. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #927 Sheinfell, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    Where does the third route open? Are there any special requirements (e.g. level=X) for it? I played through a few times, and only have 2 routes open.
    I am only in the second area of the main game, with 2/6 quests completed, so maybe that influences it as well?

Also, did anyone figure this out:
    When I started Quest mode the first time, it displayed a hint that "when I defeat the Titan at the end, I can restart Quest mode at a higher difficulty level" (or something like that, not sure if I remember it 100% right).
    But so far I did not find any way to do this. After defeating the Titan, I always end up in the Keep where you can pick the reward doors with the "drops you X levels" requirements. So far I could only take the default door, and the one that costs you 5 levels. After picking a reward chest, I always arrive at the entry (Mother's Grotto) again, and no choice to pick a higher difficulty anywhere in sight.

8. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Anyone know when the sale is due to end?

9. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Today it seems, before Ianaged to buy it :/ (grabbed free version to try but hadnt time to try it out yet.

10. rezzo

rezzo Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
    unexpectedly good!

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Umm... seeing those screenshots and you didnt expect it to be at least good?

12. Wave_Rider09

Wave_Rider09 Member

Jan 19, 2013
    This game is free on ign this month in both uk and us. If you haven't checked this game out yet, I highly recommend you do. Install size is 1.9gb for those who like to know :p

13. rezzo

rezzo Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Honestly, I didn't expect anything good from Zynga.

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Zynga are the publishers, not the developers.

15. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Game Impressions

Finally started playing this game last week. My initial impressions were that it is a beautiful game to look at with a very nice soundtrack that really helps to involve the player. The voice acting is top class and the writing is very humorous. Particularly the interactions between Horn and Gourd. The journal entries scattered around the landscape give a great background to the story and the characters and really help to immerse the player in the story. The only small downsides were the unresponsive controls and the reliance on collecting 'cores' to forge and upgrade weapons and buy health potions. That was until I got to Westernese. The difficulty spike is so great that the little downsides became huge. The creatures become so much tougher to defeat that the dodgy controls really become a pain. After getting this far the only way I feel I can progress is to go back and grind through earlier levels to get the cores I need to upgrade weapons and buy the potions that are absolutely necessary to progress or drop some real money on IAP's to buy what I need.

This is where the Zynga influence becomes far too noticeable to be ignored. I don't have time for grinding (too many other games to be played) and I am not willing to buy IAP in a game I have already paid a relatively high price for. It's a pity because I had really been enjoying the game but I feel I have hit a paywall and the constant prompts at IAP when I can't defeat a particular enemy have become a real annoyance. I am amazed that more people don't appear to be having these issues. I must be a crap gamer :)

Unfortunately the game will now be deleted to make room for other premium titles that don't rely on IAP. And thankfully there are a lot more of them coming out these days.

To sum up Horn had the makings of being a wonderful game if Zynga hadn't been allowed to get their grubby hands on it :) Very unfortunate.

16. longpants

longpants Active Member

Jun 23, 2012
    I apologize if this question has been asked before, but does this game support icloud?

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I finished the game WITHOUT any IAPs. I guess it does get a bit difficult unless youve learned the way the monsters move and react to your moves. That didnt make IAP anywhere near required for me though. I've dealt with difficult games before, and this isnt even one of them.

I guess it may demand some IAP to those who are a bit more casual with games.

18. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I have just encountered a fatal bug in quest mode. I get a black screen and hear sound effects, but it won't budge. I've tried closing the app and resetting my iPod 5, but every time I try to get into quest mode I get the same black screen. Sucks because I was at level 70. This game is pretty cool, and I have been dealing with frustrating bugs anyway (getting stuck, chests that won't open or don't give rewards, nerfed survival mode awards) but now I'm just frustrated.

19. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    This game can be completed without inapps an grind. It's difficulty properly balanced, just learn how to play.

20. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I just started playing this game on Thursday, and I am absolutely loving it! This is a AAA quality game. One of the few actual "console-like" titles I've played on my iPad.

I was worried about it being published by Zynga and IAPs, but my worries have been quelled. You can grind out the in-game currencies pretty easily if you want to unlock everything (hint: go for luck gear), but all of the fights in the game are learnable, so you could clear the story mode without ever upgrading anything, if that's your bag.

I don't know where other people are having issues with the controls. I haven't had a single problem on my iPad 2. Like, none at all. This game has one of the most responsive touch screen control setups I've ever experienced. Probably the most. It's been flawless for me.

Overall, despite having the Zynga name attached to it, this game is one of the "absolute must haves" when it comes to iOS gaming. Graphics, story, gameplay, controls, music, voice acting, replayability... All top notch.