Professional Sound Resource For Your Apps!

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by MTLA, May 27, 2009.

1. MTLA

MTLA New Member

May 27, 2009
    Dear iPhone Devs,

I am a sound engineer looking to offer my services to the iPhone world. I work primarily in the Film/TV Industry. You have most probably seen my some of my work. My experience has ranged from sound asset creation to full blown sound direction and management on projects ranging from TV commercials, feature films, flash games, cross platform video game releases and web pages. I have experience managing sound assets/departments for film and video game projects. I am well aware and comfortable with the restrictions working with audio and mobile devices.

In terms of facilities, we have a fully functional post production studio with all of the latest software and hardware, including a brand new Digidesign (Pro Tools) approved '09 MacPro.

I am willing to do sound work for a couple of apps on a contract/deferred payment basis. I have a little bit of Objective C knowledge and have written some basic apps using the iPhone Dev Kit for fun, thus a further understanding of workflow/pipeline regarding iPhone development. I am passionate about my work and would like to contribute to the iPhone world during my time between major projects.

If you will require sound for your app, and realize how important a dedicated sound person is to your project then simply send me a PM or reply to this thread with your e-mail and we can discuss your proposal in a less formal fashion.

Sincerely

*References available upon request

-MTLA

2. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    hmm, I have contacted a developer and if all goes well, I(well mostly the developer, It's just my idea and my graphics) will have an app in the store soon, maybe I'll think about using some of your sfx.

3. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Sound isn't cheap, Saint.

You know, I've always been interested in how people make custom sound... If I was a developer i'd hire you :)

4. MTLA

MTLA New Member

May 27, 2009
    #4 MTLA, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    You are correct with that statement, sound ain't cheap! However as I stated in my previous post, I am offering my services on a contract / deferred payment basis. This means we would sign an agreement stating that I will do X type of work for your project and in turn you will pay me X amount of your FUTURE sales. Obviously the type of services rendered and numbers are subject to budget and project. That said if I am interested in a project I can be very flexible with payment.

I am offering this to contribute to the iPhone world and get my feet wet in the app scene. I will be doing this work between my every day work in film and video. That being said this is an opportunity to a select few of those who need professional quality sound without paying a large amount of money up front. Win, Win.:)

GL
    P.s. we also do music :)

-MTLA

5. Shocked

Apr 19, 2009
    Saint wants his app to be free, so that wouldn't really work.

Can you tell me why sound is so expensive? I've always wondered...

6. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    oops, well nvm then - I usually get my sound off of free, legal sources online :p

7. Shocked

Apr 19, 2009
    Just thought of something, MTLA, you could do one of those sound apps. I enjoy them.

8. MTLA

MTLA New Member

May 27, 2009
    #8 MTLA, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    Sound has always been the bastard child. You have to factor in a lot of things; equipment costs, cartage (moving equipment costs), training, experience, time, and I'd go as far as saying passion and creativity.

On a basic level, in order to record sound one would need:

- microphone
    - boom/grip/stand to hold your mic
    - mixer/pre-amp to raise and lower mic input levels and match electrical impedance
    - recording device, can sometimes be a video camera, but a standalone device is usually preferred.
    - cables to connect all of this and headphones to monitor what your recording!

An entry level kit like this can get pretty expensive and most sound recordists/mixers require much more than this. You can take a look at some basic kits and pricing over here at Trew Audio.

We can then add wireless packs, lavalier (wardrobe) mics, stereo even surround mics. Audio is a very creative field and there are countless ways to achieve a goal. Sound is not what gear you own, but how you use it (thats what she said?) :p . Training and experience is required to accquire the skill sets needed to get the job done. Passion and creativity then add to further the quality of work.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg. Once you've captured sound for a project there is generally much more to be done depending on the medium that it will end up on. A basic Pro Tools system is thousands of dollars, and for some includes another tens of thousands of dollars in plugins and expansion software or hardware.

I cant begin to explain the depth of the sound world but if you are interested, I would take a look over at filmsound.org. You can learn a lot about what goes on behind the scenes in your favorite hollywood films.

This FAQ may also help clear some things up

On the note of free sounds. Creative commons is a great thing. If you can make use of free rights work and credit the creator then great! If you record it yourself its free too :) When it comes to big projects and people are putting in a lot of money, the last thing they want to hear is thier title screen "whoosh" on some guys Halo machinima :p

I believe sound is one of the important components of a project and salute producers and developers who consider this during pre-production. Bad sound always makes a bad picture!

Hope that helps, back to work for me

Cheers - MTLA

9. Shocked

Apr 19, 2009
    I like Halo Machinimas, which is actually why I'm so interested in sound... I'd give credit to anyones work I'd used of course...

Can you reply to my suggestion about SFX app?

10. MTLA

MTLA New Member

May 27, 2009
    Sure, Im not sure what you meant by this though. Are you suggesting some kind of sound board?

11. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Oooohoo!!! If you like sound apps you will like iScreamer!. I made the sounds in a fantastic studio. Actually, I have several studios. Well, several sound studios. My house, my friends house, and my other friends house. (believe me, I have a lot more friends, but none willing to scream into a computer)

12. Shocked

Apr 19, 2009
    It's just an app that has a bunch of sound effects. Search 100sounds, it's an app like that.

@Youth, I'll check it out..