Sling Ship - Coming to iOS Oct 1st

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by nasawhy, Sep 24, 2015.

1. nasawhy

nasawhy Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Greetings Earthlings!

My first game, Sling Ship is going to be released in one week (Oct 1st). It's a chill yet intense sci-fi action sidescroller. The controls are tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty slick.

[​IMG]

I have been developing games (largely as a hobby) for over 10 years, but this is the first one intended for commercial publishing. I have a background in art, music, design and programming that lends itself well to the one-man-shop approach. I’ve been deeply inspired by games like Journey, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Elite: Dangerous, No Man’s Sky, and many many more.

Sling Ship began with a code challenge I gave myself; I wanted to try to create a sling shot/golf mechanic similar to Desert Golfing. Before I added logic that prevented additional shots before being on the ground again, I realized there was something fun there. After refining the controls a bit, I decided to make it a sci-fi cave crawler that required skill and quick gestures. The result is a tranquil yet intense game of skill. The music, art and design are all original works of mine.

YouTube Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrJ-hmmogds

I have posted promo codes in the Promo Codes section of the forums at http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=271728. Apologies if I'm double posting or using the forums incorrectly.

A press kit is available at http://slingship.com/press-kit/.

Looking forward to taking flight!

Thanks in advance,

Shane

2. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Thanks for the promo code. I like Sling Ship quite a bit. It's a challenging and fun arcade game. I like the sling mechanic. It feels very cool when you pull it off and the implementation of the shield works nicely. It took me awhile to get past level 8 and the jaws of death, but I like how the ship flys faster with quicker swipes. It gets trickier to grab those orbs of gold without crashing into the wall.

How many levels are there? I looked around, but could not find the answer in the menu.

3. nasawhy

nasawhy Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it. I've heard from other playtesters that level 8 or so tends to be a choke point. Glad you made it through it! There are 99 levels. One of the features I'll be adding soon in a future update is social media sharing, in case players want to show off how far they've gotten. It gets tough the further you go because the levels keep getting longer and longer. :)

Thanks again!

4. paulkane

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Woah, 99 levels?! I was not expecting that many. Will there be a GC leaderboard?

5. nasawhy

nasawhy Member

Sep 24, 2015
    I'm looking into GameCenter leaderboards, but not sure how to rank leaders... there isn't a traditional score, so not sure yet what is meaningful. How would you like to see that work? Something like highest level reached? (I am curious to see how many people, if anyone gets to level 99). Maybe something to do with the time completed or how far you get vs times died?

6. paulkane

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Furthest level seems appropriate...a leaderboard for each level would be crazy and I'm guessing there is a limit to how many leaderboards you can set up in GC?

7. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Well it looks like a fun game. I look forward to seeing how it plays. I like the art style! I always love when someone comes up with different control schemes.

Billy

8. Mist17

Mist17 Member

Apr 18, 2013
    The game is looking great can't wait to play it, when it's out.

9. Congrats on your firs launch! The game sure looks interesting. Do you have enemies or other interactive elements besides the stuff seen on the gif?

10. nasawhy

nasawhy Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Thanks! The GIF shows most of the obstacles and enemies, but keep in mind it will take some work to get to see all of them.

I'm currently working on the next major update which will include a whole new "story" game mode with new levels, traps, enemies (space creatures) and a narrative.

Looking forward to launching...