Lot's of FPS games are coming! we need a control pad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gnetro, Aug 5, 2009.

1. gnetro

gnetro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    FPS iPhone game needs a control pad!

2. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
  3. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    I dig that! The backround of the website has a black case on it :D

Also, if you're a developer going to make a fps game, please message me about the controls =D

4. Ddyracer123

Aug 4, 2009
    Lol I'm just a random 14 year old kid posting. I'm no Dev ;)

5. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    lol alright, but for any devs out there, just message me :)... I really want a fps game on a iphone/ipod touch badly, so i decided to help out a bit xD

6. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

What makes you think a control pad would work any better? PSP and DS have physical controls yet don't have a decent to control FPS.

Even the 360/PS3 control pads with dual sticks suck for FPS games. They don't even come close to the precision and accuracy of a mouse/keyboard.

7. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Really? Check out Medal Of Honor Heroes for the PSP, it's a decent FPS with the face buttons to look around and analog to move

Exactly, mouses are way more accurate than joysticks. Though it's not too bad aiming with dual sticks. Although I have a friend who's convinced Dual sticks are much more accurate than a mouse, go figure.

To the OP: Besides LiveFire/KillTest, Gameloft's new FPS, Doom 3 and Wolfenstien RPG (If it's still coming), what other FPS games are coming?

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yes, I agree.
    I don't really want a controller for my iPhone because:
    A: It's a phone.
    B: It has buttons/analog sticks which seem old, clunky and don't always work as well as a touch screen.
    C: If I am at home, I don't sit in a chair playing on my iPhone, I play on my PS3. So it feels pointless hauling around an accessory to a phone which is designed to be conviniently thin and small.

9. Ddyracer123

Aug 4, 2009
    Guess everyone is intitled to his opinions ;-). But think for a second. There's plenty of crappy controllment system of the touch screen for fps and 3rs person shooters. They would be more enjoyable with the pad because your fingers aren't covering the tiny screen plus your vulnerable screen gets less dirty :-D

10. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

I find shooters like BIA and terminator fine at the moment. And like LBG said your not carrying around a control pad in your pocket with your iphone/itouch.

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Everyone is different, but personally, I find 3rd person shooter games such as 'Terminator: Salvation' and 'Brothers in Arms' very easy and comfortable to control. I love gameloft's control method of having 1 virtual analog stick to move, swiping the empty screen with a finger to aim and then pressing the fire button to fire. It will work well in their upcoming FPS 'Modern Combat: Sandstorm' too (at least for me). Therefore I have no desire for an external control pad, the iPhone's touch screen and accelerometer work well, but only if they are put to use well by developers who actually think about the controls.

12. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    BIA is my favorite TPS, but Cube is my favorite FPS. Most of you won't agree with me, but Cube controls are really good for what they are and are fast for when you need to dodge or attack.

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Stepping backwards for hardware stuff is for kids :)
    I like the new way, we are experiencing with these devices.
    And there are devs out there creating cool new solutions.
    So, if you want a hardware controller, there are some on the market:
    ...called DS and PSP ;)

14. Ddyracer123

Aug 4, 2009
    BIA sucked in controls i remember playing it earlier in the year.Terminator was no better. (i played the lite version)

15. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    You seriously can't handle BIA controls?? That's kind of noobish.... Sorry sorry..

16. Ddyracer123

Aug 4, 2009
    i can it just doesn't feel right as i said earlier. fps's and 3rd persons work better with pads or whatever but not a touch screen.

17. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    As I said before on one of the article comments:

Whey do people whine so much about the controls of shooters on the iDevices? I've been playing shooters forever and I really have no problem with the controls on the iDevices. Are they different? Yes. Do they take a little longer to get used to them? Yes. Is it a problem or deem the game unplayable? No, not at all.

So all in all, we DO NOT need a control pad. Why can't it just be different than the other platforms??? Plus I love the slim fit of the device and the fact that in public it doesn't seem soooo obvious that you're playing games. Which is why I vote NO for the control pad.

18. WonderingIf

WonderingIf Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Kid herding
    In an alternate reality
    I have to agree with those who are saying "no extra hardware." My iPhone is for convenience and as a tool. It's great that there are games on it (and some really good ones, too!), but, ultimately, the iPhone was designed as a productivity tool. As for the iPod Touch: yes, it was designed as an entertainment device, but carrying around an extra set of hardware would defeat the purpose of its convenience as well. If what you want is a gaming device for carrying around with you, just get a DS or PSP.

I agree with CaseyLay that the BiA and Term:Salvation controls actually work quite well! I've enjoyed playing those games tremendously. I'm sure that with each incarnation of that control system, it is being tweaked and made better. (Term was slightly better than BiA.) I wish that other developers would use a similar scheme to run their FPS/3rdPS games on the iDevices.

Ddyracer123 is also right that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. Where I disagree is for the purpose of these portable devices. They are made for short term entertainment, in line at the store, or on the bus.

If I want a real FPS/3rdPS experience, I'll just jump on my console at home for a prolonged gaming session, and I'll keep my iPhone clear of clutter, thanks. :)

19. Ddyracer123

Aug 4, 2009
    it would be an add on. and the icontrolpad actually looks nice and thin.

20. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    I guess it would be fine for some people. But it's not for me, I'm fine with the way the device is made right out of the box. Controls games just fine and everything else works just fine while still looking sexy and sleek.