Do the redeem codes work just for one version of app?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CrowdCafé, Feb 6, 2009.

1. CrowdCafé

CrowdCafé Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Hello dev fellas,

we are just wondering: will the redeem codes for current version of our app work after the update of the app? Or are they bounded just with the version they were released with?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Modus

Modus Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    They only work for the version they were issued with, and they have time limits (28 days if memory serves).

3. Shroomies

Shroomies Member

Jan 16, 2009
    It has been our experience that the redeem codes expire in 28 days but that the codes do work across versions. We made several redeem codes for our version 1.5.0 of our app and when version 1.6.0 was made public, the old redeem codes worked fine.

4. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    I get the impression though that prior version codes do expire sooner than 28 days. I emptied my queue after I upgraded, and they seemed not to work after a week. I don't have any more detailed stats than that.

5. Shroomies

Shroomies Member

Jan 16, 2009
    The person who redeemed the code for the old version only waited 2 days after the new version was released. Maybe when a new version is made public, old redeem codes will soon expire and he just made it before the deadline. Good to know...

6. CrowdCafé

CrowdCafé Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Thank you for the helpful feedback. Well it seems the situation is like you described it.

Just one more flutter: Wasn't it caused by the 28 days expiration of old redeem codes?

7. Shroomies

Shroomies Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Here's what I know...

Jan 15 - We made some redeem codes for Version 1.5. I gave 1 of them to a personal friend that day
    Jan 22 - We submitted Version 1.6 to Apple
    Jan 26 - Version 1.6 was accepted and was on the App Store
    Jan 28 - My friend asked me if the redeem code was still good and I wasn't sure so I told him to try it. It worked for him.

Actually we still have some redeem codes from Version 1.5 we requested on Jan 15. Let me see if it still works just to add to the data.

8. Shroomies

Shroomies Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Feb 1 - Version 1.6.1 was accepted and was on the App STore
    Feb 6 - Used redeem code from Version 1.5 requested on Jan 15

So I am guessing that redeem codes expire 28 days after you request them and are not dependent on versions.

9. CrowdCafé

CrowdCafé Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Thank you very much Shroomies, your posts were very helpful! Thanks again.