iPhone Roly-Polies HD - Puzzle/Strategy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by J. A. Whye, May 2, 2011.

1. J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Game Dev (tools & tutorials)
    Alaska
    #1 J. A. Whye, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
    It's kind of Cut the Rope meets Bubble Ball meets...um, can't think of it right now, but there's something else, I'm sure of it. :)

RP is coming out for iPad only. The core routines are done, I'm working on creating levels, menu system, etc.

Still don't know whether I'll release it as free with XX levels and offer more levels as an in-app purchase, or whether I'll just forget about that and go for a straight purchase.

One of the coolest things I decided to do was to create the level editor on the iPad itself, so I can carry around my iPad and make levels wherever I am. My kids are also grabbing the iPad and making levels so the game is turning out to be a real family affair.

In fact, using the editor and playing "what if?" is so much fun, I'm going to put a version of the editor in the game itself as a "playground" so people can try different combinations of objects, strategies, etc.

I know my description is a little vague and I'm not including screenshots or videos yet, but I'd kind of like to release it *before* it's cloned. ;)

Hopefully by the end of next week I'll be ready to show it off.

I know every developer thinks their own game is cool, but mine really IS! :)

Jay

PS - Okay, you can't see much (on purpose, hehe) but here's a screenshot after testing one of the levels in the iPad-based editor:

[​IMG]

2. J. A. Whye

Sep 26, 2010
    Alaska
    Just finished the first draft of the main menu screen so thought I'd "leak" it here. :) I may end up switching to a logo instead of the text title, but otherwise this is probably close to what the game will end up with.

Under the Stuff button appears options to go to the Playground, More Games, and Credits.

Jay

[​IMG]

3. halljames

halljames Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    UK
    Getting a good vibe about this one :)

4. J. A. Whye

Sep 26, 2010
    Alaska
    Okay, I think tomorrow I'll be at the point where I'll show off some video of the game play. Partly because I'm starting to wonder if the game is going to be too hard and I'd like to get some feedback.

Lok for a video by late afternoon tomorrow (Alaska time). *gulp* I just made myself nervous! :)

Jay

[​IMG]

5. J. A. Whye

Sep 26, 2010
    Alaska
    Here's a link to a temporary video showing the Roly-Polies game play for the first time: http://instantvideowebpages.com/play/notmplvid.php?655

(Sorry, I can't put it on YouTube so I can't embed it here.)

It's less than 2 minutes and shows the first few levels (with built-in hints) and then a quick look at the editor (which will, in one form or another, be included in the game).

Still a couple placeholder art things and the scoring isn't complete, but it's getting pretty close -- as long as I can get the levels done.

It's easy to make simple levels, and it's easy to make complicated levels (such as Level 9 that you see in the editor). But medium levels? Those aren't so easy to make. :)

Jay

6. J. A. Whye

Sep 26, 2010
    Alaska
    I thought I was about a week away from submitting Roly-Polies to the App Store, but a new tester came on board -- had some ideas -- and now I'm back to recoding a chunk of the game play.

I am *so* glad I had another outsider look at it! The game is going to be multiple times better with the changes and that should give it a much better chance of success when it's released.

I'm not "back to the drawing board" but I am "back to coding."

I'll be back.

Jay

7. J. A. Whye

Sep 26, 2010
    Alaska
    Whoa, 2.5 months after the last post and Roly-Polies HD isn't launched yet?

Real life and more "pressing" projects intervened but as soon as I have the last few levels done I'll be submitting to the App Store.

I'm also putting together the "Roly-Polies Fan Club" site -- if you join you get tips on completing the levels. I'm also finishing the "Winner" site where you can get an "Official Friend of the Roly-Polies" certificate after you complete all the levels in the game.

[​IMG]

RPHD will ship with 60 levels and I have plans to create many more in the upcoming months.

Gameplay video should be done this coming weekend.

Jay

8. J. A. Whye

Sep 26, 2010
    Alaska
    Roly-Polies HD has *finally* been submitted to the App Store. Now it's time to sit back and relax... and start working on the first update. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Good Luck :)

10. DregsOnLegs

DregsOnLegs Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Secretary
    City
    I like the description of this game, but unfortunately the title and screenshots have prevented me from purchasing it.
    The menu screen is like the cover of a book, it's supposed to entice people to want to play, and to show a piece of what's inside.

This however, looks a bit bland and monotone.
    Lack of colors, lack of polish and th use of dark gloomy colors are really dragging this game down, I'm sure the gameplay is wonderful, however,
    With a premium price tag and lack of polish, big companies have made the competition too hard to compete with, most would rather go buy a universal high polish game from chillingo for 99c then buy this not so polished indie devs first game!