App Store submission - Can I use placeholders?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by karuzo, Nov 7, 2011.

1. karuzo

karuzo Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hello,
    I'm about to upload a binary to Apple's. The binary is not 100% ready, and I'd like at the meantime to reserve the name in the app store so I need to insert a description, icon, and screenshots, which then I'll be able to upload the binary 'later'.
    As I don't have the app description, icon, nor screenshots finalized, does Apple allow you to replace them as long as you have not uploaded the binary, sort of place holders?

2. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Yes, you can put place holders and change them before the game is in review.

JC

3. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that if you don't load up binary within a certain amount of time you will lose the name and not be able to use it again. I have had this happen with two games that I thought would be finished but were delayed. Apple will give you thirty days notice prior to pulling the name.

4. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I never had the problem but... I heard that simply uploading any binary and canceling the submission immediately is enought to be considered as a valid upload and you can keep the name before running out of time.

JC

5. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

I would strongly recommend that your placeholder icon is a final version. My experience was the final binary icon was displayed for 24 hours on the AppStore, then it mysteriously reverted back to the placeholder which was basically a black square. All attempts to rectify this proved useless. I had to update the complete binary by which time the app was back out of the chart.

An alternative suggestion would be to use a placeholder icon that 'they' would not want to be shown on their store, their logo seems a fair choice if you go that way.

For my latest project I did sit down and design a proper placeholder in the end as I do expect a repeat of events!

6. karuzo

karuzo Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Thank you all for the replies. The thing is that I want to start marketing the game under it official name and won't do it until I lock the name with Apple, which I assume happens when you submit the info even without a binary...

7. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Correct. As soon as you lock up the name no one else can take it. And yes, that happens when you submit the info, no binary needed.