Good marketing idea - Get user to submit their email inside your app

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DevonMiller, Dec 20, 2012.

1. DevonMiller

DevonMiller Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Email marketing is still where it's at.
    Having an email submission box on your website is a good idea. But I think putting it directly in your app is a great way to build your list.

I don't see this tactic being employed much in games. However, I did find an example:

[​IMG]

When you press NEWS you'll be taken to an email submission page:
    [​IMG]

My question is: Does anybody know how to do this using popular email marketing services like aweber and mailchimp? I'm still pretty amateur at this whole programming thing. :(

2. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    What exactly do you want to know? We use our own mailing system, however setting up a MailChimp account can't be that hard. I believe it's only about sending a POST or something similar to your MailChimp account whenever someone enters his email.

Then you need to design your newsletter and slice it. There are some basic rules to follow - e.g. no text over images, 600px wide, no CSS and divs - rather use tables. Google will surely tell you how to prepare a decent newsletter.

P.S.: Do not forget to add an unsubscribe option!

3. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Actually, email marketing is still the most effective way of doing online marketing. Conversion is much higher than in any other online channel. There is a big difference between online marketing and spam.

4. comboapp

comboapp Well-Known Member

Yes! Be sure that any recipient can easily and quickly unsubscribe.

Another important issue - big images might take time to load and they will not be seen properly in a majority of messages.

5. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    MailChimp has "chimpkit", which is relatively easy to use, but has some bugs in it. That's what is used in For The Win.

6. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Indeed, it does seem to be used in TMG's game For The Win..

Of interest also, it looks like PlayHaven has automatic modules built in for opt-in email collection here- http://www.playhaven.com/tour#optin

That might be a good option as well.

7. pat3ck

pat3ck Active Member

Yes, it's definitely a good idea. Personally, I also use Mailchimp with their chimpkit. Might want to give it a try as well.

8. dreamerdonkey

dreamerdonkey Member

Dec 5, 2012
    This is a really good idea. Can any one provide more idea like this. That will be really helpful for me. :D