How do I get a Crash Dump off an Ipod Touch game being BETA tested

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by aquatic, Mar 4, 2010.

1. aquatic

aquatic Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Professional Game Tester
    WA, USA
    Want to provide a developer with some crash dumps, how do I get it or where do I find it? The most info I could find was that I need to sync my ipod touch with itunes but I don't know where to look after that?

thanks!

2. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    download the iPhone Configuration Utility (there are both Mac and Win version), it will give you access to console logs

3. aquatic

Dec 20, 2009
    Professional Game Tester
    WA, USA
    wow, for some reason I thought there was just a dump file somewhere but I guess I have to actually capture the console logs while the game is crashing? That poses a problem as I don't do most of my testing right next to the computer. Blah~

thanks anyhow for the info!

4. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    there is another way, but gives very little information (only iPhone system info) which is sometimes completely useless

the method I mentioned gives access to both system output AND logs made by the app itself (NSLog, printf etc)

in case of a crash that we had a few days ago normal console log gave us just some cryptic info of no real value, but the full console logs through the configuration utility allowed us to pin point the problem in 10 seconds...

5. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
  6. aquatic

Dec 20, 2009
    Professional Game Tester
    WA, USA
    thanks prab! thats what I was looking for, should have thought to look in the logs folder.. DUHHH