Should i buy Ipad mini?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by oblivionrpg, Nov 2, 2012.

1. oblivionrpg

oblivionrpg Active Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Hi guys,
    Should i buy it or wait for the next one. How good is the Ipad 2 at gaming so i know how strong mini is? Is it outdated even now? Or is it at leas a 1 year good unvestment? For example, how good Lili runs on it? I guess that is the most hardware demanding game nowadays.. Are you buying it? Thanks

2. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I would honestly love one if I could get one, but I just got a new iPod Touch 5G. If I had been certain that the Mini would be out this soon, I would have waited on the 5G and got a mini instead.

As far as gaming, I haven't had any showstopping issues with the iPad 2 - it should be fine for now. A year from now, there might be some games that lag or only work with A6 processors, but that number should be fairly small.

I'd jump at one right now if I could.

3. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I just got one. Got lucky and Target had 1 left. If I were choosing between this and the new iPod, I would go for the Mini. Larger screen, still very portable, and a great overall feel for games, as opposed to a full size ipad. The iPad 2 from what I have read is better at gaming than the iPad 3, so gaming on the mini should be awesome...

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That's a bit of a misleading statement. Technically the iPad 2 is capable of better performance, but by the time developers have made the effort to optimize their games they tend to perform perfectly well on both devices and the end user won't notice much (if any) difference. Unless all developers suddenly get lazy and put out games the iPad 3 can't handle it's still the way to go.

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Is your interest in the iPad Mini based on the cost? If it is, you may want to check out Apple's refurbished iPad section. They currently have 3rd generation iPads for a bit more than the iPad Mini prices. 16gb is $379 ($50 more), 32gb is $469 ($40 more), and 64gb is $549 ($20 more). These are US prices, so if you're not in the US, it may not be as good of a deal for you.

Anyways, am I buying one? Nope. I was interested in it; mainly because it looked nice :p I love the back of it, I find it looks awesome lol. But yea, I was disappointed that it has iPad 2 hardware, so I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 instead. Really happy with it so far :)

6. Also too the other post completely ignores the retina screen and quadcore gpu.

But anyway, the ipad mini will at some point have a retina screen, when? Either next year or 2 years I figure. Should you wait for a retina ipad? Well if it one year, I would wait. If it is two years, I would buy an ipad mini now.

Did I make your decision harder? Probably...

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have an iPad 2 and it plays every game that I'm aware of. Maybe there is something out there that requires and iPad 3 or newer, but if so the number of such apps is extremely minimal. Games look great on an iPad 2, and they should look even better on the mini due to the higher pixel density. I'm sure there will be a retina iPad mini at some point, but I wouldn't worry about it. Now if you want to read books on it, then I'd say go with the iPad 3 or 4/retina. But I have an e-ink Kindle (Paperwhite) that I use for books, which is far superior for books anyway.

My only concern about the mini is will it be good for my board games. I'd hate to be squinting due to the smaller display. But the light weight and portability are very appealing to me.

8. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    This.

My iPad 2 has been fantastic, never had an issue running any game. BUT.... What concerns me about the mini is, why... Why would Apple stick an A5 chip in there? Not even an A5x. Why not an A6? It's not like the mini is cheap, so why not give it the latest tech.

9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Because they still want people to buy the latest and greatest :p At least that's my theory :rolleyes:

10. oblivionrpg

Nov 29, 2010
    So after some thinking: They didnt put their latest and greatest hardware into Minis, because they didn't want it to canibalize sales of normal Ipad. (Would you choose the same hardware for half the price? I would.

By 2 releases in one year the have made Apple fans mad. But at least they sinked up with the christmas time. They will not do it again. Next christmass, when new apple products will hit the shelves there will be long lines in front of applestores again. Because Ipad Mini will be shrunken down Ipad 4 and Ipad 5 will be out of this world. They have the patents to make it happen. And time for it aswell.

And will I buy the ipad mini now? Yes, because only a stupid man would wait a year for something that he knows he wants. Provided he has the money for it ;-)

11. Yeah, I like your attitude. Just get it, one year is a long time to wait, and the size and weight are oh so good. You can always upgrade 2 years from now. And you never know when the ipad mini will become retina, may be 2 years anyway. Retina requires a huge battery, heavy screen, and more cpu power. So when an ipad mini retina comes out, who knows.

You did the right thing, just buy it, and have fun, worry about it later when the time comes. Congrats, and have fun with it.

12. anims

anims Active Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Look here ;) It is really fast and fit device :)

13. agentblank

agentblank Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Laides and gentlemen. Introducing, the ipad mini. We downgraded and put an a5 chip in, and it has no retine display. But hey, all you morons will buy it even though it sucks.

14. oblivionrpg

Nov 29, 2010
    It's just business. If Samsung didn't want only to steal market share and actually make some profit, their tablet would probably cost about the same and wouldn't have the premium quality of ipad. You cannot deny that mini looks so much better that Nexus.

15. There is a thread too about ipad mini in the ipad section which you all should read.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I support the iPad Mini in terms of competition with similarly sized tablets from other manufacturers, but that's probably the only reason. Lack of retina is a huge step back and the Mini's screen actually looks somewhat ugly even compared to other non-retina screens.