Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Hmm. I just scored 14 million with the corsair and it recorded my score as 1.4 million. Is that a known bug? I know it was 14 million for several reasons. The game took a hell of a long time, I was way into the evil black stage, etc. the 3.x million game that immediately followed was much much shorter.

2. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Two leaderboards would be the most legitimate way to settle this debate: one for those who choose to buy IAP and those who do not. What would be even better would be to have a version of Phoenix HD where the power ups drop from within the game and a version where you can buy IAP.

But this won't happen because everyone would pick the version where power ups drop from within the game and the IAP would never sell.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Did you... by chance reset the difficulty? I just did, and had one of the longest games I've ever had... took 35 minutes, and I wound up with 2.6 million (but was playing on 1 star) WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY into the 5th background... right after that, the difficulty was set at 5 stars again, and I got 4 million in about 10 minutes...

4. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    That is exactly right. Extremely long games on 1 star with a low score, much shorter games on 5 stars with a higher score.

5. So now I have bought all the ships. They are cool.

But how the heck do you play Shogun? You have to get so close to the other ships, I die so fast. By far this seems like the worst ship, I can only get about 1/4 the coins as the other ships. At least the other ships seem more even.

Am I missing something? I assume all the ships are supposed to be close to each other in theory to collect coins, but I can't get hardly any with the Shogun.

It's kind of fun to play, but I think it needs something like the Trinity, when you release your finger, it would be cool if something happened to make the Shogun better.

6. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    That's why I told you to buy it last :D

7. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Just to show how little I am interested in altering what the game gives me naturally, I have saved up over 20,000 coins. This isn't to say I don't like what some of these IAP's have to offer, considering I really like the drones. But every time I am tempted to buy them, I feel like I am cheating.

Man oh man do I wish they were available within the gameplay :rolleyes:;):(

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    You don't have to get close to other ships, you can hang back and graze bullets.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Maybe as others have mentioned there could be 2 leader boards. One for no power ups and one for power ups. People can decide to play for high scores on every runs depending on whether power ups are used or not instead of currently feeling like "cheating" to go up in the leader board or have a lower score that don't matter because they're saving coins for the big run.

10. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    The Shogun is based on "grazing" enemy bullets. Each time you graze a bullet, your blade lashes out to the enemy. Grazing is a mechanic that is widely used in hardcore danmaku games.
    So, get as close to bullets as you can without getting hit :) Also, with this knowledge, watch the Shogun preview video again, you can see what happens.

11. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #751 SumoSplash, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    El, would it be possible to have two game modes? One as it is currently set up with IAP and another that would enable the IAP's to be available within the gameplay as drops (such as the drones)? The latter option could be a 'Pay to Disable IAP' mode. I would easily pay 5, even 10 bucks to have it this way. This would satisfy the dedicated fans who would be more than willing to throw extra money at their favorite shooter, while still keeping the IAP option available for those who prefer it.

One option could be like a 'Club Phoenix' mode, while the other could be more of an 'Open Market' mode.

Then the leaderboard issue would be sorted out too: one for IAP, one for without.

See? Problem solved! :D

12. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Ha, I just tried to transport with the Mirage :rolleyes:

13. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    It would be easier to add a toggle to the leaderboards to show scores without boosts. Though 'easy' is a relative term here. For now we're gonna see how everything develops, 2.0 just launched and everything is just barely in motion.
    Like all updates before this one, we listen to the fanbase and improve upon it :)

14. Thanks Selachii and Royce for answering my question. I knew there must be something else other than getting close to enemy ships. This grazing bullets is interesting, kind of hard at first, but it is cool to have another way to play.

15. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    The beauty of this game, especially with the addition of the Trinity, is how the different behaviors of the ships influence the gameplay. I've never experienced a shooter with such versatility in accomplishing the same task. Between the lock on ability of the Corsair with close proximity to an enemy turret, the timely and risky activation of the Nightfury Laser with the Mirage by letting you ship stand idle, the stealth offense of the Shogun with a well placed graze and the ability to slow time, disappear and attack with the Trinity, it's tackling the same task with five different options...

And all of them are fun ;)

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    just used the second life upgrade for the first time... died on the same ship that took my first life...

But I wanted to say that the animation for your ship 'dying' and being 'resurrected' is SO FREAK'N GREAT!!! I TOTALLY did not expect that. =oD

17. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Hmm, synthetic, the Revive destroys all ships currently on screen, so it's possible you died from the next encounter which was similar. We do give you some time to look at the fireworks :)

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ah... gotcha... guess I didn't notice because of how awe-struck I was at the revive animation. =oP

19. eq-addict

eq-addict New Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Crash problem with iPhone 5?

Hi,

I looked back a few pages in this thread, but I didn't see any mention of this. I find that when I launch Phoenix HD, the game will shutdown by itself within a few seconds. I am running version 2.0.1. And the game does run fine on my iPhone 4, just not on my 5. Is anyone else having this issue?

20. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Correct eq-addict.

Now that the iPhone 5 is available we have indeed received reports that Phoenix HD does not work on this device. We have worked hard to make Phoenix HD 2.0 a great update and according to Apple's own software it should have worked on the iPhone 5. As you have noticed, this is not the case.

As soon as we receive our own iPhone 5 we will fix this issue, my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience!