Lots of rogue-likes released lately - which are your favs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jorlen, May 30, 2015.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #1 Jorlen, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    I've been away from IOS gaming for a few months and I can see that things have not slowed as far as releases.

That said, there's a lot out there and I wanted to gather some opinions on games before I make a few purchases. I just finished Devious Dungeons 2 and loved it so I'll not shy away from action roguelikes so long as the control scheme works.

Between the following ones, which would you recommend, how much time have you spent on it and why do you like it?

• - Enchanted Cave 2
    • - Tallowmere [Purchased it, loving it so far]
    • - Sproggiwood
    • - Crowntakers
    • - Dungeoneers Quest (iPhone only 1st person rogue-like)

If there are others not on my list, please let me know!

2. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    WazHack,it is not new but a brand new update is going to be released soon.My favorite roguelike on mobile.

3. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I am very interested in tallowmere but can't decide if I want the iOS or of version... Sigh....

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im really wanting to play a roguelike, but i still havent found anything close to Zettai Hero Project: The Unlosing Ranger Vs Darkdeath Evilman to scratch the itch. Played over 600 hours into that, and im still wanting more of it since i havent played it in a few years now.

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Tallowmere is the one I ended up going with for now, and I'm glad I did. I haven't put it down since picking it up. The controls work well but I would definitely be better at the game if I could use a gamepad. For me, IOS works because I can use it on the go (I'm on the go a lot) but if you have a PC most of the time, I'd recommend that + gamepad. However, for a game of its type the controls are serviceable.

6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I have ZHP on PSP as well. Nothing comes close to that kind of gameplay on IOS, not that I've tried anyway.

While it may not be similar, I'm guessing you've already played Cavern?

7. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    From your list I would recommend Enchanted Cave 2 (I think that's what you meant to type) since you already picked up Tallowmere. Enchanted Cave 2 is a fantastic roguelike that as of now is the closest to Dungeons Of Dredmor for iOS (although humor-wise Pixel Heroes is closer), absolutely fantastic game that is well worth the price. I would also give a strong recommendation to Cardinal Quest 2 if you have not already played it and it's free to download. Cardinal Quest 2 is one of the best roguelikes on iOS and still a favorite of mine. The rest of the games I have not yet tried but I have read a lot of great things about Sproggiwood and Crowntakers.

8. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Right, it was Enchanted Cave 2 I meant to write, thanks! I knew it looked funny but couldn't figure out what was wrong with it! I'll pick that one up next. Is it turn-based? It would be nice to have a turn based game to take breaks from the crazy action of Tallowmere. I have played Cardinal Quest 2 as well and it's very good, but admittedly I am not very good at the game and can never make it too far.

9. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #9 JasonLL, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Yes it is a turn-based game. I would strongly recommend it as a contrast to Tallowmere :D . You can't go wrong with either game, both games are well worth your time.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    EP, what makes Zettai Hero Project so good compared to the games listed above? I'd never heard of ZHP before you said it so I'm now wondering if I should look into acquiring it?
    The games listed are pretty good, but you make it sound like they don't hold a candle to ZHP, so just wondering why so?

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    First of all, if you look for the official trailer, it's arguably the best trailer ever made.

Second, the amount of customization involved. ZHP is by Nippon Ichi Software well known for the Disgaea series, so that should give you an idea how massive the character customization is.

Third, loot. Like most of the best roguelikes, there are tons of loot. What's better is that each piece of equipment changes the image of that part of equipment on your character. EACH PIECE. You can merge items to each other to change their visuals to whatever you like, so you can look like ANYTHING that the game offers. There are literally THOUSANDS of equipment.

Fourth, skills. Skills are tied into equipment. Similar to disgaea games, each skill has their own unique characteristics. This game has hundreds of skills, and you can mix n match them too. Each skill also has their own animations.

Fifth, replayability. I mentioned i was about 600 hours back on the PSP version. In a regular roguelike, when you die, you get scored on your performance. In ZHP, when you die (and at some point of each run you will want to purposefully), you lose all equips, but some of your stats are added into your base stats. Meaning, you'll want to keep dying after you've powered up to power up even more. Plus, some features of the game (and i mean even more customization) are unlocked after you have died several times. Oh, and each area is random, just like most of the best roguelikes. The story also progresses the more you die and replay. ;)

Sixth, notice how much i have mentioned customization? You have a base you need to develop, you need to craft and combine items and skills, you need to die to gain permanent stats, you even need to use chips and socket them into your body to improve yourself even further. The different customization systems in this game are different game of their own if you think about it. This game is HUGE in that department.

Seventh is the story. This is a zero to hero story that you have never heard of before. The game starts out as the main hero runs into an accident and he chose you to be his successor to defeat darkdeath evilman, so you fight him as a noob superhero and you die. So what you need to do after you are revived is to strengthen yourself (gameplay's death system is part of the story which is pretty genius and this was back when Infinity Blade didnt exist yet). The story is mostly comedic, but there are tons of wtf moments everywhere in the game, which includes references to other games and movies and other pop culture stuff.

Seriously, if you have played any of NIS's games you will get an idea how much gameplay is packed into their take on a roguelike in the form of ZHP.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Here's the ZHP trailer ;)

"Anything and everything can be customized"

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    EP, thanks so much for that breakdown. Zettai does sound quite impressive and almost unrivalled by that. I'll be looking at getting it for sure.
    You're right about that trailer. That trailer is possibly one of the best I've ever seen.

Thanks again for that breakdown. Your opinion is one of the most welcome opinions on this forum so it means a fair bit to get a breakdown like that.

14. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Sword of Fargoal is my favorite. Not a newer release though, about 5 years old on iOS, so not optimized for the larger iPhones, but still an awesome game all around. Really wish they would get around to releasing Fargoal 2...

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My favorite roguelike on iOS is Deep Loot. Yes, it's a roguelike, but has a more open pathing through digging.

For a more traditional roguelike, Cardinal Quest 2 takes my vote.

Both are old-ish as well though.

16. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Right now my favorite is Sproggiwood, it's incredibly challenging and very engaging. Crowntakers gets second place, lots of content to unlock and explore.