Full vs Lite

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jyaw3, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Hey, so while my update for 2 Block is in submission. I've already began working on the features for the next update.

Now I'm curious, from what I've read Lite versions don't really take away from sales, so... what kind of features do people generally expect to see/not to see in a Lite version? Do people prefer things like, time limited play? less features? Ads? or what exactly?

2. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Most lite versions just have less features. If you were to make 2 Block FREE most would just expect ads. Hope I helped!

3. John_krig

John_krig New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Freelancer
    NYC
  4. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    hah ya thanks, I was reading that articles and that's what got me interested in it :p

and from the looks of it, ad sites/programs are pretty crap. I'm thinking I'll try something like the "This feature is disabled, Purchase the full version blah blah blah"

5. having a disabled option in a lite version will get it rejected by apple

6. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Really? so I can't do something like, for example, in my game I have a survival mode/timed mode. I can't make it so that when the user clicks survival mode it brings up a prompt saying "If you'd like this feature, please purchase the full version"?

If that's what you're saying is it from experience or what? cause that would seem pretty normal for Lite/Demo versions of games.

7. Ryan el champ

Ryan el champ Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    subway sandwich artist
    chicago
    After playing all the lite games on my phone i have not seen any messages displaying buy the full version to unlock. On every app it lets you use thefeature but it may only be for a short time. So maybe you should allow the feature in your lite version but make it a timed trial

8. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    Nope, it'll get rejected. Talking from experience.

9. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Blue Defense Lite prevents you from playing levels and starting waves, only classic is allowed.

It says to buy the full version when you press the other two, so I guess this is the only lite that apple let by?

10. BroonBottle

BroonBottle Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I guess it depends on the type of game but my first choice would be for a limited number of levels or a time limited game (as long as it isn't something stupid like 1 or 2 minutes). Ad-sponsored is ok if you can guarantee that the advertisers are reputable as a lot of iPhones/iPod Touches may be owned by kids.

11. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    I'd say someone at Apple were sloppy. Also, the more popular you get, the more eyes you will get on you. Apple have been soooo picky on the Touchgrind updates that it becomes tedious. The submit-wait-reject-fix-submit-wait process is not that fun. One of our updates were rejected four five times. And imagine now when the approval process takes four weeks instead of one!

12. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I must have gotten lucky with Card Shark Solitaire 4.0

The visual game picker now shows all 16 supported games, not just the 8 available in the lite version - the remainder are greyed out.

The "statistics" button on the main menu is greyed out, too.

Phil