iPad Dawn of Magic - (by Lakoo) - FREE launch sale

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 26, 2011.

1. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Played briefly and deleted. Didn't care for the gameplay, style of the game, or the translation. Nice character art, though!

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    uhh and I'm downloading right now...

3. vinvinaa

vinvinaa New Member

Oct 27, 2011
    You are right. It should be the English version of that game as I have played the Chinese version once. :rolleyes:

4. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Well, Lakoo is a Chinese developer...

5. Cifuang

Cifuang Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    It seems Lakoo has also developed Empire Online, and I very much enjoyed that style of turn-based gameplay. It's IAP was optional and I poured maybe 30 hours into that game. Definitely will be downloading this.

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I got this game right when it came out and it's nice but it drags on for a while at the start. i feel like i'm just eating up time killing monsters by myself for 30-45 minutes with not much variation =\ i hope it gets better once you get more people.

though i'm not sure why it's free so i'm really suspicious. the iap seem very minimal when i looked at them...

7. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    Been playing Dawn of Magic for about 15-20 min and (1) the graphics are pretty good and although they're not Retina, they're not fuzzy on Retina devices like how some games are, (2) some in the thread have complained the touch-only controls are problematic in accidentally initiating encounters; I found the controls fine and didn't accidentally initiate an encounter not once, (3) the magic gem system seems a little convoluted but isn't that bad, (4) I wish there were an iPod option b/c the one song in the game drones and drones on and on... Overall, it seems pretty decent. I'll have to play further to see when and if the IAP paywall(s) come up with the gems.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Although the game is free, I'm not even sure it's worth checking out. Slow paced, horrible translations, no D-pad, iAPs that really raises worries (really, in a JRPG?), the most basic equip/skill system, etc. It's a bare bone JRPG that has quite a few things going against it. Not sure if I'll be dedicating anymore time to it. I see Alphadia is in the top 100 paid games right now. That looks like a JRPG that might actually be worth checking out.

9. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    This was disappointing. I had no idea that a turn-based JRPG could be so dull, especially with those graphics. Makes me appreciate Crimson Gem Saga more though.

10. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    Yeah, I saw Alphadia earlier today too. May check that out... Interestingly, Kotaku did a little write-up on Alphadia and said they thought it was pretty good and is the best of Kemco's (developer) JRPGs especially in terms of localization.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, it was hard to pull myself away from Alphadia to check out Dawn Of Magic, but I will say that I've had no problems navigating around the world, or avoiding/coming into contact with any enemies. So far it seems decent enough... but I'm going to jump back into Alphadia for the time being.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol what isn't decent then as a JRPG on the AppStore? If this game is decent, what is FFIII, the best game in the world? No point in being generous when it comes to rating games because you're supposed to compare them to other games of the same type. Relatively, there's always a 'bad' section for games, and this falls under that for JRPGs.

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #33 syntheticvoid, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    well I've only played about 10 minutes of this one, but so far, would not go as far as to call it bad...

However... older FF games are some of the only Turn Based RPGs that I've been able to stick with all the way through... there's only a couple non-FF games that I've played all the way through...

But yeah... FF is comparable to Cave games in the bullet hell genre... best of the best? =oP 'least IMO. But I'll have to spend another hour with this before I decide to call it bad or worth-while... really hate giving up on a game in the first 10 minutes (it happens... but not often)

**edit**

BTW, this is my 5,000th post! =oD

woohoo!

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol, I'm a fan of all kinds of JRPGs. Chaos Rings, CGS, etc. are great. Have you played Ash?

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #35 awp69, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    I'm actually really surprised at the negative reception this has received. I guess it depends on what you're looking for in an RPG.

I've played this for about 30 minutes this morning and so far it seems pretty good. Yes, you really shouldn't base comparisons on cost, but for free, it's very polished with nice graphics and good turn-based combat. I actually like the gem system.

Because of my lack of time to play games in general (with the wife and kids), I've been looking for a turn-based RPG that wasn't too deep. Guess I'm just looking for a little fun since the lengthy 40+ hour RPGs with a big story just don't suit my time restraints. With that in mind, the simple leveling and equipment systems are perfect for what I want.

Chaos Rings was great at this as well. There really wasn't much of a story to it. It was more combat and puzzle driven.

I'll wait to reserve final judgement until I get further in the game (which, at my pace, will take a while) and also see what kind of walls there are with the IAP (although I certainly won't mind buying an IAP or two just to support the developer).

IMO there are a lot worse RPGs on the iOS.

Edit: Don't take this as meaning that this is on the same level as Chaos Rings. It certainly isn't. But I also didn't pay $13 for it and there aren't many other turn-based RPGs that are on the streamlined-side of things.

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've started Ash, never got through it though...

17. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Go back to it. Now.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Fair enough. I seriously encourage you to try Ash. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for and an amazing JRPG in every respect. It'll last you around 8 good hours. Some of the best writing I've seen, no doubt.

---

Wtf sv, go finish it now. Forget every other RPG right now.

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    lol. I can't... I'm almost done with Symphony Of Eternity, and about 4 hours into Alphadia - but after these two, yeah, I'll go back to Ash. =oP

20. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I'm all over this one! Free? Really? You rock!