What's wrong with my iPad ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Repulsa, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    This morning while playing on it a red line appeared out of nowhere on the right side of the screen. It does not show on a white background ( like when you open safari) but it's not going away. does anyone know what the hell this is and how to get rid of it? I have never dropped this or even taken it out of its otter box. It's an iPad mini 4 I purchased in March.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    That's typically a hardware fault. If you are lucky it's "only" a connector; if not, it's the screen itself.
    Going by what I found with googling "red line ipad" it's not that uncommon, first found occurence back in 2011 already.
    Sounds like a tiny manufacturing error to me that only occurs for a tiny percentage of devices. Those are a real pain to track down in your manufacturing process, when they occur only for e.g. one in a 100.000 units.

If a reset doesn't fix it, and you still have warranty, bring it back to the store.

3. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Oh that's great :( I bought it at best buy do I take it back there or do I have to find an Apple Store

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    No idea, depends on where you live and how warranty is regulated there. E.g, in Germany the seller (best buy) has to handle it, not Apple directly.

I'll add that I find it a bit odd that you don't know, I learned that in school as a teenager ;)

5. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    If you log in to https://appleid.apple.com/ then you can check your devices (and register if you haven't already). Then you can see if they're still under warranty. It doesn't matter whether you bought them second hand or not.

If not, you can still take them into the Apple Store. They'll often help you even if you're out of warranty.

6. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Looks like I have to mail it in to Apple as there is no Apple Store anywhere near me