One game for each situation

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ivanovich, Sep 9, 2009.

1. ivanovich

ivanovich Well-Known Member

Hi! This is my personal reasoning about ipod/iphone games that i would like to share.

We have a excellent games platform. We can see great and incedible games but we can not forget that's portable platform and i think that there is a lot of situations that we can not use our iphone because we don't have games adapted to each situation.

Imagine that you are alone and waiting for your food in a restaurant. You can get your iphone and launch a game but surely needs two hands and the game need your 100% attention. If the waiter come you can not tell him wait!! That i'm killing martians :D

My reasoning: We need games capable of being played discreetly, only with one hand, with no time limit, And that we could interrupt the game at any time and without any touch. Only with these premises we might play comfortablly in situations like a restaurant and answer to the waiter with education :D

The indy programmers cannot compete with the big companies doing games so great. But we can use our imagination to cover certain needs or situations. This reasoning was inspired me in the creation of idonutconnect.

What's your opinion about this situations? :rolleyes:

2. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    tell the waiter to put your food on the table and continue playing?

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think the idea is that he doesn't want to be rude to the waiter, otherwise you could play anything :p

4. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Pause game.

Get food.

Eat food with fork with one hand.

Continue playing game with other hand.

It's got to be a one hand game of course. Or maybe something turn-based. :)

5. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Check out about any tower defense game

6. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I agree that the iPhone/iPod Touch is well suited to quick bursts of gameplay and that there needs to be more variety in games that can be played discreetly- Turn based gaming fits the platform perfectly!

My game, Rogue Touch, was laid out with that thought in mind. You can leave it sitting on the table, tap here and there without causing undue distraction to others (with auto-run and auto-corridor following), or hold it and play one-handed with the D-pad. The game can be exited and re-entered quickly too.

People (including many on these forums) have written to tell me they have played RT in a great variety of situations that you might not want to (or be able to) play other games in:

1) On the bus/subway
    2) At school, sitting in class
    3) At business meetings
    4) While talking to their girlfriend or boyfriend *on the iPhone while actually playing the game*
    5) In the bathroom

Now, a few of these can be done with most any game. Especially #5 (as long as the game doesn't require too much shaking the accelerometer ;)). In addition to developing I buy many games on the iPhone... I'm always on the lookout for good turn based gaming, and use my iPhone for gaming more than any other system I own.

Keeping all this in mind, my next game release will also be turn based! :D

7. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Indeed, thank you for that! I love Rogue touch, and all turn-based games. Do you think there's hope for... Nethack touch? Also, what are you working on now?

8. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I've considered Nethack Touch, after seeing the initial release of iNethack by DirkZ I felt that it was rather lacking in control and graphics. He's done a lot of hard work on it and recently submitted iNethack 1.1 to Apple (I've thrown in a few thoughts and bits here and there, but nothing as massive as the work he's put into it). Version 1.1 is still not as playable or animated as I would have done it (i've been playing builds of it daily), but it will be dramatically better than the 1.0 release! We'll see after the public plays it whether Nethack Touch is still needed :)

As for my other work- For one, I still have some unfinished business with Rogue Touch. There's a couple of really neat ideas I was exploring late this spring before I got yanked away from development for the summer. Expect to see at least one more update to RT, perhaps two.

Of course the most interesting is my new work. Still related to roguelikes and turn based gaming, but more unique. If all goes well this will end up a trilogy of related fantasy world games... I'm still in the design phase, but I also have a professional artist or two working on things already, may be bringing on even more help soon.

Once I feel things are far enough along to share I'll start a thread here about it all in the upcoming games section :D