Looking for WRPG recommendations

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Leothwyn, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Leothwyn

Leothwyn Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I'm fairly new to iPhone/iPod games... I recently finished Underworlds and Ravensword, and am wondering what similar games are out there? Anything like old favorites of mine like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Diablo would be great. (Actually, it doesn't need to be fantasy based. I loved Fallout and Planescape too.)

I was thinking about getting Dungeon Hunter next. The Quest is the only other one that I know of, but I really don't like the look of its graphics. Anything else come to mind for anyone?

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Undercroft, once it gets re-released. Doom RPG and Wolfenstein RPG also.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Currently out: Dungeon Hunter (which looks nice but is too easy and short), Xenome (similar to Fallout/Borderlands, but with WoW-style combat), Undercroft (retro-styled, very nicely done), Doom RPG and Wolfenstein RPG (decent but not very deep).

Out soon: Rimelands (a turn-based RPG with Diablo-style graphics that plays like the old table-top games)

Out later this year: Aralon (Morrowind-style open-world RPG), Earth and Legend (we don't know much about this one).

There are threads available on all those games.

4. Leothwyn

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

I like a good story - Xenome looks like a good one for me. I'll check out Doom & Wolfenstein, but I'm guessing from your comment on them not being so deep that I might not like them as much.

I've been following the Aralon thread - can't wait for that one to come out! I'll keep an eye out for Rimelands too.

Thanks.

5. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    There's Dragon Bane II, Princess Demelza, Akalabeth, and all the roguelikes, off the top of my head.

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Solomon's Keep, if you don't have that one already. More action than rpg, but you won't have a problem with that if you like Diablo. Also happens to be one of the best games on the app store period.

7. Leothwyn

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks... I seem to be losing imagination as I get older. Back in the day, I loved Doom, Hexen, etc.. But these days I have trouble connecting with games with such basic graphics. They sound interesting, and the reviews seem good... but I guess I'm turning into a bit of a snob. :eek:

I guess Diablo wasn't a great example to give. It's been so long, I don't remember what kind of story it had. But, Underworlds is fresh in my mind, which totally reminds me of Diablo, and it had enough story and side quests to keep me interested. Still, even though Solomon's Keep isn't the sort of thing that I was looking for, it does look fun. I'll pick it up. Thanks.

8. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Give Undercroft Lite a look once it returns to the Appstore. It has that old-school vibe, but also has really nice (IMHO) sprite graphics.

Otherwise, Dungeon Hunter is worth buying during a sale and there are some WRPGs in the pipeline too.

9. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    +1 to SkyMuffin suggestions ie Undercroft, Doom RPG and Wolfenstein RPG.

Undercroft is more in the spirit of PC RPG generations before Baldur's Gate, but with more modern graphics and a nice interface. And Doom RPG and Wolfenstein RPG was a real surprise for me and they are more subtle that it could seem first, it's still little games but with a surprising quality. But all 3 are turn based.

Yes Dungeon Hunter is the other Diablo clone with Underworlds you already played. It has plus when compared to Underworlds but Underworlds has also its plus. DH has some design weakness but also qualities and is overall between average and fairly good.

I have another nasty suggestion, if you are a sort of fan of PC RPG, give a try to Knights of the Phantom Castle. It has some flaws and I don't think it's possible to beat the second boss so you won't be able to finish it and will have play only about 40% of the full game. That's a very bad advice and not a game to buy.

But it is on sale and I never seen a RPG like that, so if you are a curious guy and fan of PC RPG you could try it. Also it is totally obsessing, I even skip a full night because I couldn't stop playing it. :eek: (thanks the second boss stopped me otherwise I would probably have died of starvation :D ). Interestingly this game really open the possibility of a new approach of RPG, the only thing I know which has some link are some RPG map or campaign made with Warcraft 3 and with more than one hero (not armies). But this game works just a lot better despite some points that lack of polishing.

10. Leothwyn

Jun 25, 2010
    #10 Leothwyn, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks Isilel and Qordobo, I may have to get off of my high horse as far as graphics go, and give one of those games a chance (Undercroft, Doom, etc.).
    And, I'll probably give Dungeon Hunter a try at some point. After I'm done with Xenome, that is...

You're appealing to my competitive side there :) I'm tempted to get it just to try to prove you wrong, and tackle that second boss! I suppose it looks like it could be fun, but the look of it... those monsters look like when they're not working as evil super-villains they might moonlight on some Hello Kitty product line. ;) I guess that's where non-western RPGs lose me. Everything's too damn cute.

Thanks though. I do appreciate all of the responses. You've given me a lot more games to consider.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    More of a dungeon hack-n-slash, but it's awesome: Necromancer Rising

Undercroft is a great turn-based RPG, I'd highly recommend it (when it's available...)

12. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    If you beat it, well i'm not a good player so that should not surprise me, but in this case that will. If you can make a video of it then that would be great. :)

Lol right the graphics has something of JRPG but the mood is a lot in the PC RPG traditions, well that's my feeling. Some typical points:
    • There's zero random fights.
    • There's a lot of diversity in fights.
    • Not at all in the traditional fights mechanism of JRPG ie not in the tradition of FF nor in the tradition of Fire Emblem.
    • You'd say me that it isn't more in the tradition in WRPG too but by searching you'll find more example even if at ends its gameplay is rather unique:
      • First I wouldn't not be surprised that one influence was some RPG made with Warcraft 3 engine and resources.
      • But also games like Dungeon Siege have an approach with similarities
      • And real time plus party is really in the traditions of WRPG.
    • The story is told with impersonal reports with a touch of humor, typical Western approach of not involving too much human emotions and keep some distance when JRPG tend to jump right into for the good sometimes and the worse some other time and sometimes up to the caricature and an abuse of too obvious emotions triggers tricks.
    • No hero but non personalized characters ie a Defender, a Mage, a Soldier, an Assassin and so on. That's at total opposite than usual JRPG approach.

That said don't forget you get warned that the game has both qualities and flaws, and more little or less little lack of polishing than the usual RPG. So I won't refund if you get it and end disappointed. :D
    Weird I never heard of it, I'll look that closer.

13. jwei44

jwei44 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    High School Graduating
    California
    You can always get KOPC cause it's like 80% off. It's 1.99. Used to be 9.99. I'd suggest get it. Difficult but if you know how to get by...