Universal SuperVeg Girl: A 3D runner where YOU decide your path

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Roach, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Making games and teaching game design
    Vancouver, BC
    #1 Roach, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Hi!

We are Roach Interactive, and our I'm here to announce our new game, Bird of Light. We love action and puzzle games, and wanted to combine these two genres in a single game.:D

We're looking for some help beta testing, so please tell us in the comments or email us at [email protected]

[​IMG]

The game will be Free-to-Play.

Here is the trailer:

Bird of light is our newest labor of love; it has been three years in the making, but in production since May 2014. You can read more about the production process on our development blog.

Bird of Light blends grid-and-tile based 2D puzzles with traditional 3D twitch swipe-and turn running and jumping.
    A challenging game that tests the players' logic, memory and skill,
    the design of the game allows players to come up with multiple solutions for levels.

The game also features interactive story panels that can be unlocked as the game is played

Some other features:

> Sharp and intuitive controls form the core of the game.

> Unlockable tiles with additional functionality

> 21 handcrafted levels with multiple solutions

> Subjective difficulty to accomodate players with different skill levels

> Medals (Achievements) and Gamecenter leaderboards

> Rich low-poly 3D environments and all-original art

> A hidden story that reveals itself through interactive scenes

> Custom music score

Some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you all for reading....if you want to keep up with updates, here's our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/birdoflight/

[​IMG]

2. michalszulc

michalszulc New Member

Apr 17, 2015
    very onteresting

if you ask me i'm in!

great design, not really like gui, not really important

3. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you! I'm curious if you have any feedback on what you don't like about the GUI? And which parts of the GUI?

Thanks again :)

4. sgk.george

sgk.george Active Member

Apr 16, 2015
    San Francisco
    Really liked the mechanics!

★ Nice transition from puzzle to running.
    ★ Flying jump adds depth to gameplay.
    ★ The instant turn back control is nice to have.
    ★ Good variety of pickups I saw in the video(maybe you can split some pickups into several small ones placed in a row, like coins)

Here are some suggestions for improvement:
    - You can use better sounds/music
    - You can polish the 3d art, add more particles and stuff
    - You could come up with more types of tiles. Otherwise, it'll get boring after a while

How polished are the controls? Because it's a twitch game, you wanna get this done to perfection.
    Are the poker chips some sort of currency? Can I unlock levels with it? I figure you'll make this an in-app-purchase :)

Hope you found this feedback helpful.:D
    I'm in for beta testing.

5. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    #5 Roach, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Hi George, thank you for taking the time to read and give some awesome feedback! I really appreciate it. We are a 2-developer team with limited resources. We have tried to polish the art to a level where we think it should be good enough, but we have put in a lot of work on controls, level design and gameplay.

For sure, we are looking for good music. We are thinking a funky country style mixed with electronic? What do you think! :eek:

Also, we would like to keep the file size <100mb, so need to be careful about 2D assets/textures etc. Still need to optimize completely.

As a matter of fact, we do have THREE different types of tiles. There are Static tiles, Teleport tiles as well as tiles that disappear after a fixed time. That should keep it interesting!

Again, many thanks for your feedback. We really appreciate it. Shall put up the link for the Beta test after a while.

6. sgk.george

sgk.george Active Member

Apr 16, 2015
    San Francisco
    Controls, level design and gameplay: Looking forward to actually play it to see all that in action.

Music: Electronic music is great, can also be more like dubstep. You can get creative with making it sound country.

Tile variety: Great.

Will check back when you have an update on the game.

7. Wire Much

Wire Much Active Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Artist, developer
    Melbourne/ United Kingdom
    Pretty cool concept! Looking forward to how it develops.

8. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    We were thinking of Country music-ish electronic.
    Here's the thing: The art may be cutesy, but the gameplay is actually pretty unforgiving. We need slightly edgy music for the trailer as well as in-game.

*SIGH* The search continues!!

Thanks again for your inputs!

9. JoeMarshall

JoeMarshall Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Game Developer, Podcaster
    USA
    Awesome game play from what I see and read. I also like puzzle and action genres and think you put the two together very nicely. The art/assets are great for the over all theme, but my initial reaction to seeing the badges/awards screen the colors or style didn't seem to fit with the rest of the games theme. It seems really close though which is why I can't put my finger on why. (Isn't important in the big scheme of things) I would love to test it if you need more testers. Very creative spin and take on the two genres and I think the two of you did a great job up to this point. The music you are looking for is ironically picking up steam in small music circles at least in the United States so it will have a timely feel if country blended with a little electronic continues to gain more and more traction.

10. SpungeGames

SpungeGames Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Male
    Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Looks promising, we explored a similar approach (without the puzzle) before moving ahead with the Cartoon Survivor concept. We really liked the idea of taking the choosing your path to a level beyond say a Temple Run - we looked at working your way through a map of endless possibilities - I like the puzzle idea - good luck.

11. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    JoeMarshall: Thank you for the kind words and feedback! Yes, I think the same about the medals/badges screen. To be honest, I have been struggling a bit with the layout and color scheme of this page and It was quite terrible to start with, but yes it still needs a few more iterations.

I'm looking for music of the genre, and will hopefully post a new trailer with updated music soon.
    We will keep you updated with how to join our Beta, whenever it is available. Thanks again :)

12. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you for checking out the game and commenting! We are pretty excited about the game. It has been a really interesting project, design-wise. The biggest challenge is to teach the player how to play the game, as it is not 'like' anything else we know of.

The controls are like Temple Run/Subway Surfers/ Generic endless runner, but the integration with the puzzle is the challenging part. Need to really nail it with the tutorial!

13. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Update #1

Hello people!

Here is our first update. I am posting a screenshot for your reference.

[​IMG]

Here's what is different:

a) We put in some bloom on the camera! How do you like it?
    b) Tried to make the HUD better. The pause and map buttons are now more button-like, and there is a box around the pickups on the top part of the screen.

Please fell free to comment.
    Thanks!

14. bit_ra

bit_ra New Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Nice concept

SuperVeg Girl is a game with good concept.
    it is rather having the same Running Jhoner but has different game play and new concept.
    but the negative part is on the art side.
    this would have looked much more interesting after good quality assets.
    Good to see indiGames are working preety good
    Thanks
    Rahul Kumar:)

15. sgk.george

sgk.george Active Member

Apr 16, 2015
    San Francisco
    Looks awesome with the bloom. Just make sure you don't overdo it, it may wash out colors. Also watch out for performance, you'll be better of turning off filters for older devices.
    The HUD definitely looks more intuitive now.
    Did you make any changes in 3d? It looks kind of different from the original.
    Anyhow, good job! Keep up the good work! Let us know when a test build is available.

16. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi Rahul, thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Yes, we know that we have a fair bit of work when it comes to visuals!
    We are trying different things, and we will keep updating this thread when we do so.

Thanks again

17. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah, we're thrilled about the new now-free features of Unity. Like getting new toys, ha. We will have to be careful. One question: What do you think about the ground tiles?

Yes the level shown has a bunch of trees, so maybe that looks different.

18. atash55

atash55 Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Game Developer
    Hey, I like how you've combined puzzle solving with a running game. Haven't seen that before so good job on the game design front. Feel the texturing could be a bit better. All the best!

19. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks

Hey Atash55, thank you for your kind words.
    It is a very 'Design-heavy' game and we are doing everything new, this is why will be looking for Beta quite soon. Hope you can help us out there!

Yes the texturing needs to be improved, and some of the 3D models too. Keep a lookout for updates!

20. Roach

Roach Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Update #2

Hi everyone!

We have an update to show off:

We have implemented a cloud-like particle effect at the player's feet. It's like a dust cloud that comes up when the player's feet touch the ground, while running/hopping/jumping. Hope you guys like it, looking on some feedbach for this.

Thanks a ton