Any Way To Tell If An App Is 32-Bit?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ubisububi, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I'm seeing a lot of games suddenly go on sale this month, many of which haven't been updated in years. Is there any way to tell before you purchase if an App is on Apple's kill list when iOS 11 is released? This strikes me as possibly underhanded on the part of the developers of these orphaned Apps (I'm looking at you Fusion Reactions and your unsupported 100 Rogues).

2. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    #2 Saucepolicy, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    It's unfair to say that the sales are underhanded. Anyone using an iPhone older than the 5S or the iPad Air/ Mini 2 won't be able to update their systems, and surprisingly that counts for a large number of consumers. There are over 1 billion active iOS devices in the wild, after all.

A safe bet is that any app whose last update is prior to June 2015 is not 64-bit. If the last update was prior to February 2015, the chances are even higher.

(Source)

The only part of the quote that's demonstrably wrong is the timeline for removing 32-bit apps.

Here's another article with more information on the 64-bit transition

3. master333

master333 Active Member

Sep 28, 2012
    All the Cave bullet hell games are affected as well as some tin man games apps, some dotemu games, Canabalt, Shantae pirates curse, epoch 2, Mage gauntlet, streets of rage 3 and counterspy. This is terrible! There are so many even discontinued ones like quarrel deluxe and burnout crash. Do you think cave will update to 64bit?

4. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    If it's not freemium, then unfortunately, there's a good chance it's probably not worth it to update it. It's time and energy that devs are probably better off spending on other projects... iOS games or otherwise. It may be another matter entirely if they could charge for updates, making it worth their while, but Apple of course doesn't allow that.

Me... I have no plans to update my Ipod Touch 5, nor Ipad Air, so I may as well see if any of the discounts are decent. As much as some people hate to admit it, if it's cheap enough, then I'll treat it as "disposable games". I've had quite a few games I paid $1 to $5 for, got MANY hours of enjoyment out of them, and have no desire to ever touch again. I don't expect to be able to reload these games 1, 5, 10, 30 years from now, nor pass it down to my children, or their children

5. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I'm suggesting you guys to start buying most of the expensive 32 bit games such as half of Slitherine (BA 1,BA 2,Hell) games,dynasty warriors or whatever that strategy game is called,space hulk,etc.

6. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    I believe that this year would be the worst in iOS gaming history.