Battles among fruits, ninja, birds, zombies and....

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by levelone, Mar 15, 2011.

1. levelone

levelone Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Recently, we've seen a bunch of games with characters like the followings:
    1:___+birds
    2:Angry+___
    3: ___+zombies/zombies+___
    4:__+ninja/ninja+___
    5:Tiny+____
    ......(you may give more)

Do you feel bored of this trend? Or, you just only choose games with the above titles? And what character(s) do you expect in a game?

2. WaterPocket

WaterPocket Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Yeah, and I especially hate it when people completely copy an app and almost use the same exact name.

3. adorinellen

adorinellen Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Los Blancos
    And many many many.. Doodle A, Doodle B, Jump here and Jump there.

4. levelone

Mar 11, 2011
    hahahahahaha..........you are so funny:D

5. Yensimer

Yensimer Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    People like repeating others for success....Can all of them just have some creativity?

6. anualisher

anualisher Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    IT
    Yes those games have similar names and those game-developers just need to hire someone who has a great creativity to come up with fresh names. Nevertheless, the names actually don't matter much as the most important part is the gameplay. If it's enjoyable and addictive, that's fine.:)

7. Sandrem

Sandrem Active Member

Mar 4, 2011
    True. But this phenomena really needs a change. Game-developers can just come up with some new names.

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    And yet I bet a certain percentage of them won't.

Think beyond the appstore to popular trends:

At the moment -- Zanybandz vs Sillybandz vs Shape Bandz vs Silly Bands.........

People anywhere are going to latch onto what they appear is a popular trend that will help them in their "get rich quick" scheme.

9. levelone

Mar 11, 2011

Agreed. Take Angry Birds for an instance, with its instant success, it's now getting bigger and bigger and begins to develop many other branches in the market to get rich quick which seems the core value.

10. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    ... I don't think this is what he (she?) was trying to say...

11. levelone

Mar 11, 2011
    yes, he (she) affirmed the trend, I said the trend's theme of making money in the market. And now, I add another one that is "Doodle":D Have you found that there are so many "Doodles"?

12. Lanishery

Lanishery Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Why there is such a phenomena? Cuz once a game with one of those words came out, it became big. And then more games with similar names come out. New games need old popular games to help gain much popularity after their release. They also have made it. :)

13. apphame

apphame Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Planner
    Hong Kong
    If you really want the answer, the number is huge:
    Doodle jump
    Doodle fall
    Doodle driver
    Doodle army
    Doodle balls
    Doodle Screw
    Doodle Grub

14. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Who will release Angry Doodle Ninja Zombie Fruit ? :)

15. levelone

Mar 11, 2011
    eh...you may have a try, that would be a huge:D

16. levelone

Mar 11, 2011
    Enough is enough! Whereas, do you have any idea about a new game character?

17. SuperFunApps

SuperFunApps Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to say, but behind big game app companies (or even medium-sized app developers) marketing decisions really drive the type of games released. Angry birds was the 49th game released by a studio of 40 designers. It started with an art style. That's it, it was an art style, and someone from marketing said - let's do a physics crush the castle game with these cute lil' birds and pigs.

We love games because we're gamers, but people drawn to the industry are looking for the millions (hell, I'm in the industry and I'd like some millions, too).

You can't blame someone for trying to make a quick buck off a catchy name/look/concept.

Imagine if you worked your butt off on a completely awesome game that then goes under the radar because it was innovative and no one could make heads or tails of it. That's my biggest fear, but for most it's a big enough fear to make them stay away from innovation and just grind out generic titles all day. it creates clutter on the app store, brings down the overall quality of games, yadda yadda yadda, but until video gaming becomes so socially acceptable that you're sharing game talk at the supermarket (soon, my friends, SOON!), marketers will drive decisions instead of gamers.