Updating iPod Touch from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by strato g, Apr 28, 2010.

1. strato g

strato g Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    I have a question for anyone who is knowledgeable enough. I have an iPod Touch 1st GEN that's currently operating on 3.1.2. After I updated to 3.1.2, my PC crashed and had to be replaced. That was a few months ago and I still have yet to sync my iPod to the new PC. My concern is whether or not I will be able sync my iPod to the new PC and update it to 3.1.3, without it wiping my iPod clean of the 100+ games I currently have? I was curious about this because I was always under the impression that iDevices were designed to be compatible with only one PC.

2. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I had a similar problem recently when a hard drive failed.
    On the new computer, I just made sure that in iTunes (this was version 9.0.2.25) I selected Edit/Preferences/Devices/ and then checked the box that says "Prevent iPods and iPhones from syncing automatically."
    Regardless of your iTunes version, there should be -somewhere- an option to DISABLE AUTOMATIC SYNCING. Without automatic sync it should not do ANYTHING to your iPod when you connect to iTunes. You will MANUALLY move music or apps from iTunes onto your iPod. (So, for example, I have 100+ apps on my iPod, but none in my iTunes. And there's no problem when connecting.)
    Hope that makes sense.

3. strato g

strato g Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. So, if I comprehend this correctly, the games currently stored on my iPod should be safe from being erased upon a manual sync.

4. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Yes. If auto-sync is disabled, and you are doing everything manually, then it should only be moving the files that you want moved. ITunes shouldn't be doing any syncing or file-transferring on its own.