Universal Crossword Dungeon (by Nolithius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Unless I'm missing something all the update did was add more words?

2. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Yeah there were a lot of fixes. And tweaks. Make sure you touch the <more> button to get the full list, sometimes it's easy to miss.

Now that the arrows on green squares bug is fixed I'm playing the ranger. Excited to see his top tier skills :)

3. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    OK so most fixes were "under-the-hood" kinda stuff. Still I had hoped for a more revamped skill system. And maybe a tutorial.

4. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Downloaded the game and am just waiting for the universal support to be patched in, can we get an ETA on that?

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I was coming to ask the same... This is a game I would want but as an iPad only owner I just dislike playing games meant for iPhone only. I'll buy this as soon as a universal build comes!

6. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Same here, universal please.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Game is significantly more stable now, and the new words are great.

Two small bugs:
    -sometimes if you walk into a square with a monster that flees, you can tap a letter to kill them before they move out.
    -sometimes if you tap too quickly after killing a monster, you can end up in a square that has no monster but still have the choice to pick a letter. To progress, you have to move backwards one space then back into it. You can exploit this to pick up potions, XP, etc.

8. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    @Chiller ONE: It's hard sometimes to take some of the rather demanding language positively, but I like to think it is because you enjoy the game and want to to see it blossom. :)

@Mirkwood, @Bool Zero, and @johnnycache: Universal support is coming in the next version. It is hard to get an ETA on it as my free time is at an all-time low at the moment, but I will keep that update light and quick to get it out as soon as possible.

@SkyMuffin: Thanks for reporting those bugs. I've conditioned myself to play the game a certain way it's hard for me to break it even if I try.

Thanks again to everyone for your continued support.

9. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    If it's not too much trouble could we also get iCloud support when it goes universal? : )

10. Ickon

Ickon Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    I've been thoroughly enjoying this game and after a fair number of tries I have finally managed to go fairly deep in the dungeon and level up my character.

Unfortunately this is where a balancing issue seems to have appeared. I am a lvl 50 rogue in the 41st dungeon floor and it has become more beneficial for me to just tap all the letters with a potion or an xp bonus and move on (the monster is usually dead by then) than to actually go for the correct letter.
    I am pretty much invincible at this point as the enemies do not seem to be getting any stronger any more.
    Just something to keep in mind if you are going to do some rebalancing or adding some tougher monsters.

Thanks for the great game either way! :)

11. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    Crossword Dungeon 1.1 Submitted for App Store Review!

Hey folks!

The long-in-coming update 1.1 to Crossword Dungeon has just been posted to the Apple App Store for review.

Some highlights to be expected in this version are iPad support (universal), more words, as well as a number of stability, gameplay, and display enhancements. Here is a more thorough changelist:

http://www.nolithius.com/game-development/crossword-dungeon-1-1-submitted

I will be sure to post once again once the update is live. :)

12. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    Crossword Dungeon 1.1 Released!

Hello once again, Crossword Dungeoneers!

It is my pleasure to announce the latest and greatest update for Crossword Dungeon: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crossword-dungeon/id560785195?ls=1&mt=8

If you were holding off on trying the game until some of the kinks were worked out, now would be the perfect time! :)

Here are some updated screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cheers!

13. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I had totally forgotten that this game existed, it's been on my wishlist for quite some time. Moved it to the top now so I don't forget it again, I adore word games and RPGs so this looks fantastic!

14. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Woah, this looks really cool

15. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Wow this looks great!

16. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Same. Time to re-download.

17. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    Thanks for the support, everyone!

I specifically released the iPad version as a Universal update and not as a new game to make sure anyone who has purchased the game for iPhone can play it on the iPad at a much nicer scale than as a stretched iPhone app. ;)

This means, however, that it doesn't get highlighted as newly released game, so please, tell your family and friends about it!

18. fivejane

fivejane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 23, 2009
    #138 fivejane, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Game Impressions

Is there an end? My level 93 Barbarian is on floor 56 and nothing can touch him. I have literally cleared the last 15 floors by picking magic tiles only (+exp) and then picking at random after that. No monsters can damage me, and only a couple monsters still take two attacks to kill. I feel like I've beaten the game but I don't know if I should keep tapping at random to get to a The End screen or just uninstall it.

Edit: Started a Ranger and he is already in the same situation. Level 62 and simply cannot take enough damage between level ups to die (max of 2-3 damage between level ups). At this point I've seen most of the dictionary but the game actually punishes me for getting the letters right. First, if there is a magic tile, it is better for me to choose it (one-shotting every monster) than to pick the right letter. Second, if I pick the correct letter, I kill off a couple more monsters in adjacent squares. This is bad because I can't go get magic tiles there anymore. The best strategy seems to be to pump Intelligence ONLY as much as possible, and when choosing skills don't choose any that add additional attacks.

Also, the level up dialog could be improved a lot. It pops up right in the middle of play and if I'm not paying attention to my XP bar, I just end up picking something accidentally because I'm trying to move my character.

Attached Files:

19. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    It's terrible. You kill a monster, the level up dialog appears after a short delay just as you are tapping the next square. It needs to appear far earlier, as the monster is dying not a short time after it has died.

20. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I've had this on my watch list for a while too, definitely interested in this still. What kind of playtime do you get out of it?