iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    #341 Steve at ThreeGoblins, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    iCloud - word on the cyberstreet is Apple have bungled something. Forums are ablaze all over the land.

From Mike:
    " As far as we can tell, both from direct experience accessing the servers and from the complaints of other developers, the iCloud service is suffering from slow response times at the moment.

We recommend that players use a single device for Spellcraft in the meantime. We are publishing an update that provides better sync status feedback, but it will probably not arrive until a week or so
    ."

One more thing : Try a device reset, to see if it helps. I mean the full-on hold down both buttons at once reset.

Steve @ ThreeGoblins

2. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    @Cat: Thanks for the good games.

Game 2 was the other way around, I did not draw anything that I could put to good use. So even with a good deck and skill, you still depend on the randomness of the cards drawn.

Game 1: That was another of my experimental decks. I figured that when you play Accursed too late, it does not help much anymore, because your hand is smaller in later stages of the game anyways. Problem was that I did not have anything to counter your big creatures, so what good does it do me when you can only hold 3 cards? And the Psychic Vortex just did not want to show up :(
    Conclusion: At least I absolutely need something to counter heavy hitters. Just going with stuff that limits the opponent (and you, in case of Psychic Vortex), and using smaller creatures does not seem to be enough.

Ah well, back to the drawing board, brewing up some more deck designs.

3. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #343 Sheinfell, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    Async turnbased

Almost forgot that:
    If you are interested in talking to someone who already uses Gamecenter for asynchronous turn-based, get in touch with Rocco, the developer of Starbase Orion ( http://www.chimerasw.com ). SO has much more data per turn than Spellcraft most likely will ever have, and it seems to work well. So he must have done it right ;)
    On his blog, he mentions investigating SmartFoxServer as possible alternative to GC.

UPDATE: And I just found that: http://www.openkit.io/ . But nothing about the current status of the project, aside from vague "we might be ready in January 2013" statements from their main investor (and driving force behind it, he is the guy who originally invested heavily in OpenFeint) .

4. Krossek

Krossek Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Germany
    I think it´s time to talk about some reflection spells now :p

5. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    I don't know what the Goblins have in store for the other factions, but depending on which direction Air is going to take, it might fit in there. When I think of Air, I have Djinns on my mind, and these folks are good at magic, and also have some reputation as tricksters, at least from what little I picked up on original Arabic folklore on them.

6. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Good guess! We do have one indeed: Whirling Djinn.

Steve@ThreeGoblins

7. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    @ Steve@ThreeGoblins

Is the game ready to accept translations?

If so can you send the document to me?

8. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Good news. I bought some packs then I created a new deck and played a few rounds. Later I tried the iPhone and the game worked!

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Still locked out due to trying to sync on an iphone for me.

Which brings up a question/suggestion for me. I've been out of reception for the past few days and wanted to play on my iphone, but since the first thing this app does is look to sync and won't let you go further if it doesn't sync, the basically this app becomes useless. Like can not be played anywhere without reception (airplane). Not even if you just want a quick match that won't give you any coins or any progression....can't even do that, let alone store the information to send later at the next available sync.
    Is there anything that can be possibly done here? Like allowing you to enter the menu first, and prompt you with an option to sync or not?
    Just a way around locking you out of the app basically if it can't get a sync.

10. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Talbs are you just on iPhone, no iPad at all? I thought the issue was for people on two devices with the problem being that iCloud wasn't sending out the info when the second device tried to retrieve the data.

Carlos, have you got any more details? You're saying you were playing and buying and building on the iPad, then you just opened the game on the phone and it worked straight away? Any other details you can think of?

A whirling Djinn!! Ok. How does one pronounce that please? I like to get the cards right, otherwise they get stuck in my head. I misread the Pilfer card originally and every time I see it I still call it the 'Fiffer'.

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Lecha,
    I've got the game on both iPad and iPhone. You're quite right, it is only the iphone that can't get passed the sync. The iPad does get passed it.

Also just tried putting the iPad into airplane mode, and it will still get through the syncing stage (is it really syncing?).
    The iphone however, wont get through the syncing stage with or without reception.

12. Krossek

Krossek Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Germany
    i have exact the same problem. I deleted the game on the iphone und "re-installed" after that it worked for a while, but since i bought some cards on the ipad the iphone locks again on sync ...no way to pass or exit the sync screen

13. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    The damn cloud is holding our information hostage!! I've been looking online and it seems like the problem is getting resolved but all we can do is wait.

I'd love to hear how Carlos suddenly managed to get the game to sync on his iPhone!

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #354 Vovin, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Hmmm... I noticed today that this game is universal, hadn't cared before.

I installed it in the morning, first it synched for hours (so I did the things mentioned below), then it took 30 seconds to synch and works on my iPhone without any problems now.

Delete Spellcraft (if running in the background) out of your task list, log out of GC, then start the game and log into GC while in game. Now wait a few moments until the synch completes. That did the trick, at least, for me.

15. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    What we will do first is translate the manual only and put it on the website.
    Translating the cards and have the translation appear in-game is much more involved and won't be soon.

The first manuals to be done will be Japanese and French (courtesy of our wives!)
    If anyone else cares to translate the manual into anything else it would be super super good!

Cheers all
    Steve

16. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Gin :)

Getting several reports on other games of iCloud working....extremities crossed.

17. Krossek

Krossek Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Germany
    Hooray it works !!:)

I just tried and suddenly it works on the iphone...without any tricks or changes...:)

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #358 Vovin, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Hey, wow... that game IS really good. I like the art style alot - and the IAP prices seem to be very fair. 1000 Gold for 5 bucks which give you a huge amount of nice new cards, that's cool with me.
    It is closer to Magic: the Gathering than a lot of other games.
    I'll dive deeper into it tonight.

19. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Hi Vovin, nice to meet you. Shame you had to jump in while the cloud is being an ass, the game usually runs seamlessly.

Invite me for a match some time, I'm always available. The game gets better the more you play too as you learn the cards better and better tactics.

I don't know Magic:The Gathering....lets bring some players over here to our forum!

20. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Basically all I did was that.

Bought cards, made a new deck and played some local rounds with it (iPad).

Later, I decided to start the iPhone version and it just worked and it is still working. And everything seems right: my new deck and money were synced correctly.