Universal Sea Puppies - Pet Simulator + Choose Your Own Adventure

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by helgravis, Jun 30, 2015.

1. helgravis

helgravis Member

Jun 30, 2015
    #1 helgravis, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Hi!

I'm an indie developer, and also the main/sole developer/artist of an upcoming game called Sea Puppies. The game is a pet simulator with lots of choose-your-own-adventure aspects. Your goal is to take care of adorable mermaid/doggy sea creatures called Sea Puppies. You raise them, feed them, and teach them lessons about life and what-not, so they become good sea citizens and contributing members of marine society. Originally, I really wanted it to be some kind of "parent simulator" to help make better parents, but I'm not sure if younger players would like that, so I'm open to feedback.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

More alpha footage here: https://www.youtube.com/embed/pkv3xBYMwKo

The Puppies

After a comprehensive - but really short - personality quiz, you will be given your first Sea Puppy egg to adopt that looks like the one below. Depending on how you answered, you might get a more sociable, a very shy, or a rebellious Sea Puppy breed. Right now, I'm planning on having six breeds in the first release.

[​IMG]

In time, it will hatch into a Sea Puppy that look like these guys:

[​IMG]

Sea Puppies will eventually get hungry, and you need to feed it in order to grow. Sea Puppies have a very specific diet. They like to eat Kitty Planktons... and Kitty Krills... and Jellycats... and Cat Squids... and Neko Shrimps... and other cute-but-delectable feline-esque creatures of the sea. Here's a close-up of a Kitty Plankton:

[​IMG]

As they mature, they will go out on different adventures, and seek your advice when they encounter life-changing events...

[​IMG]

But sometimes their adventures don't always go the way they want it, so it's your job to make sure nothing bad happens to your Sea Puppies.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Your Sea Puppy will grow depending on which choices you make. So for example, if you make poor choices, your puppy might not finish high school and run away... and end up working in a job he doesn't like, or even run off to join the army because your puppy has no friends and always felt out of place in school!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But if you did take very good care of your puppy, they might finish Sea Puppy College and even graduate with a major degree! With enough TLC and parental support, who knows what your puppy can grow up to become!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Eventually, they will grow up into adults, and leave you to find their place in the world. But if you're lucky, they might even leave you with a little souvenir to remember them by, that future puppies can use to help them in their many, many adventures!

[​IMG]

Release Date

I'm planning on releasing the game sometime this year via the App Store first, and then maybe Android later. Most of the game mechanics are already in place, and currently I'm populating the in-game database with more puppy adventures. Hope you like the game so far!

[​IMG]

2. gamesmiths.com

Jun 26, 2015
    CEO Gamesmiths.com
    Spain
    Nice concept, I love the pixel 8bit style games starting to hit the stores, what did you develop this in? Also I don't think you need a parent lock or anything, just set the rating to the age limit you think will be suitable to play this and then it should not be a problem when it goes live.

3. helgravis

helgravis Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback! It's made in Unity and MS Paint, and some filter effects via Adobe Photoshop.

4. Robbie1350

Robbie1350 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Is there any beta testing

5. helgravis

helgravis Member

Jun 30, 2015
    To be honest, I haven't planned out beta yet, but I think I should have something beta-ish by the latter half of next month. Not quite sure how to go about gathering emails yet though.

6. helgravis

helgravis Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Here's a few screenshots of the current alpha build for the iPad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. AcuteAngle

AcuteAngle Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Developer
    New York
    8bit pixel art seems to be in these days. So good call on that.

How is the general mechanic of the game? Is it that you have to tap and do stuff?

8. helgravis

helgravis Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Yup. A bunch of stuff start swimming in the screen like Cat Planktons, Cat Krill, Cat Squids and Jellycats that you can tap to feed your puppy. Once your puppy has eaten enough food, it can go on an adventure. The decisions you make in that adventure will determine what your puppy will grows up to be.

9. helgravis

helgravis Member

Jun 30, 2015
    #9 helgravis, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Been working on updating the entire UI to be more pixel-artsy. Notice the popup and menu sprites have been changed from gray to aquamarine.

Also uploaded some video footage of the current alpha build for Sea Puppies at:

Feeding Your Puppy Footage
    Find the Pearl Mini Game

Also made some animated gifs so you have an idea of the general gameplay mechanics (also added in the first post).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Robbie1350

Robbie1350 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    When is it coming out