Detecting Jailbroken devices and exiting?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by karlth, Dec 7, 2011.

1. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    There is a simple routine that checks if a device is jailbroken. Do you think it is appropriate to exit if a device is jailbroken?

Code:
    NSString *filePath = @”/bin/bash”;
    if ([[NSFileManager defaultManager] fileExistsAtPath:filePath])
    {
       // Display alert and exit 
    }
    Any comments on its usage?

2. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    So if someone bought the game but his device is jail broken the game won't work for him !?
    That sucks IMO

3. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    Yes, there would though of course have to be a warning in the description. I know that some none game applications do not work on jailbroken devices.

I was wondering if any game developers are implementing this check? Not that I'll implement it but rather I'm looking for opinions on this.

4. Not a good idea. I jailbreak for the mods. SBSettings, BiteSMS, Infinifolder etc have become mandatory for me, but I buy my games. If I buy your game and you lock me out of it because of this, you better believe you're getting a 1 star review.

There have been games that detected if the game itself was pirated or not and would limit you accordingly in the game itself. The names are escaping me now.

5. BumbleBeez

BumbleBeez Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    No, I don't think it's appropriate.

I jailbreak my devices for theme's, and for the "home brew" apps I can get off cydia that make it function the way I THINK it should out of the box.

Themes (specifically to change icons, it boggles my mind we can not do this on a non-jailbroken phone this far down the road), SBSettings, Infinate folders, 5 rows of icons, 5 icon dock ... the list goes on, but you get the picture.

I don't pirate games, what's the point? Most of them are a buck.

So, ya, if I come across a developer that does this, I wouldn't buy any of the apps or games they offer, even if I was not jailbroken (which right now I am not oddly enough).

Now, checking to see if the GAME itself is pirated, and closing if it is, that's another story, and one I would support 100%.

6. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Don't waste your time on non-paying customers. And like it was said before you might skip actual paying customers. I do believe that 99.99999% of JB device owners pirate software, may be the only few paying ones are the previous posters :)

JC

7. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    I don't use a jailbroken device, but I strongly advocate consumer rights. I will not buy a game that used that "feature".

8. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I won't implement the check.

9. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Perhaps you could be more constructive with your idea.

Example: If you detect a jailbroken device show a support the devs IAP button to the main menu, which would charge their itunes account the price of the game. This button isn't there for non-jailbroken devices.

This idea would be a little nag to people who haven't paid for it (pulling at their conscience).

10. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I suspect that if you put a check like that in and people wanted your app, someone would just hack out the check and possibly, while they were at it, stick a nasty "cracked by" logo on the front, possibly replacing your company name and/or making the app more likely to crash. You'd also cut out the (admittedly small) group of people who Jailbreak for homebrew and hacks they "can't live without". Also, you have to remember that it's a relatively small minority of users who Jailbreak (as I understand it, new devices still have to be tethered which most can't be bothered with) but these are hardcore users. It might actually be good for sales if some of these "hardcore iOS users" are showing your app to their un-jailbroken friends.

11. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    Good idea :)
    Though somebody who has purchased the game and is running it on their jailbroken device would then have to deal with this little nag too.

12. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Yup - but they won't have the guilty conscience :p

13. pixlepix

pixlepix Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    I have a jailbroken device, but I never pirate games. As a student who hopes to become a dev, and as someone who realizes how much effort went into games, I don't pirate them.

14. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    People like you is why I'd never suggest blocking JB devices outright.

15. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Just as an aside, Com2US implemented something similar for rooted Android phones with its Homerun Battle 3D and the result was not pretty. Granted they did this in a patch after rooted owners had bought the game, but still...