Ekranoplan Racing.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, May 10, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Early footage.

2. eggrolls11

eggrolls11 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    WHOO! That's fast! I can really sense the speed. But the track sophistication is not that high. From what the video shows, the frame rate is good and the scenery is awesome. Can't wait! :D

3. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    That looks great, but is it a time-trial type race always, or will we be able to race against other 'vehicles' (AI or wifi)?

4. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    The main reason I uploaded that video to Youtube was so that a potential sound guy could see the game.

The game will not be finished for at least another month or so. It's current state is that the landscape/track engine is finished and optimised and people into the driving/flying model. Everything else is up in the air right now.

There are several thing that might happen now. The game may well be finished quite soon featuring 50+ levels, AI oponents and a few different race modes.

there is a possibility that the release will be delayed while we work on various online features, or maybe these will appear in a sequel.

I'm kind of proud of the scalabilty of the landscape tech, as the video shows it can handle a zoom from miles up while still looking fairly detailed close up. This is a 'driving game' set in a world rather than on a track which means you can go anywhere your vehicles can get to, no artificial barriers or invisile walls . Finding the best route to the next checkpoint or obscure shortcuts will be what this game is all about.

The level editor (built into a fuly playable PC version of the game) is rather slicker an more flexible than the one used to create the level in the video. The levels are defined in a very efficient way. The one in this video for example is under 10k on disk which might open up interesting possibilities for user created content.

Glenn.

5. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

looks nice. :)

6. Shokz

Shokz Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Physicist. No, not really, but maybe one day, i'm
    England. It's a sucky place.
    Looks pretty good :)

Any thoughts on price point yet?

7. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Wow... this game looks gorgeous. I'm really digging the scenery and the water graphics. Great job!

8. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I'm pretty impressed, it runs super smooth and has a large draw-distance from what I could tell.

Looking forward to more info and footage. :)

9. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    #9 GlennX, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    The game area is around 3x3 miles and is based on (a much simplified and optimised version of) the algorithm from this GDC presentaion:

http://docs.google.com/Presentation?id=dg6fqxjv_74q3db55cw

This was designed as a presentation and makes little sense unless you enable my badly written speaker notes.

10. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    A friend just posted me this link to a Russian iPhone game site:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://iphonevolt.ru/&ei=AWEHSqC2OoKqjAfEmaiVCw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dekranoplan%2Biphone%2Bgame%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_en-GBGB322GB322%26sa%3DN%26start%3D10

Amazing, presumably from someone who spotted the video on Youtube or read this thread as this is the only info about the game anywhere. I really wasn't planning on saying anything just yet...

I'd just like to point out that the name of the game is going to be "Ground Effect" (would it be possible to change the name of this thread?) but the russians seem to like their Ekranoplans.

Also, that picture above the video has nothing to do with my game...

11. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    This game reminds me of Jet Moto on the psx. Now THAT's a game they should port to the iPhone.
    This looks good, though.

12. niz554

niz554 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    wow looks amazing, if u ever need a beta tester just pm me.

13. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    wow now thats a nice fast paced racer!

14. Shokz

Shokz Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Physicist. No, not really, but maybe one day, i'm
    England. It's a sucky place.
    Just what i was thinking :)

Simply an excuse to get my hands on the game as soon as possible, of course ^.^ But i've beta tested games before and give useful feedback whenever i can.

15. yellowsquirrel

yellowsquirrel Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Incredible landscape & it looks as though a lot of work went into it. Are you planning a lite or free version too? Would be even more amazing with some cool music.

16. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah ask the mods. Arn or wastedyuthe.