iOS games: soundtrack HOF

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greyskull, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I just got around to installing Radballs (bought it a year ago or so).

The soundtrack in this game is the first I can think of that is great enough to warrant purchasing.

Being able to scratch up the music certainly helps.

So, if there were a Hall of Fame for in-game music, which would be on your Top of the Pops?

(Not including PURELY music games, like Rockband or the TapTap series, that wouldn't be fair.)

Obviously I'm going with Radballs. If I still had the Back to the Future 2 sunglasses I got from McDonald's, I would be totally rocking them right now :)

2. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

#2 schplurg, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    UPDATE to this post:

Dude, how could I forget Daytona USA!!! "Day-TOE-NUH!!!!!" and "Blue skies, blue blue skies I seeeeee"

Weirdest goofiest cheesiest most awesome music in a video game. You can download these songs somewhere. You can ignore the rest of my post haha.

They even have a 4 second song when you lose (it's pretty upbeat considering you lost)...."Game Over, Yeaaaaah!!!!!"

I remember about 150 years ago that Quake had a weird soundtrack by Nine Inch Nails. As I remember it was a mix of music and weird background industrial weirdness.

But one song always sticks in my head to this day. One of the songs in the old PC game, Outlaw. It was a cowboy game with an excellent old west sound track. One of the songs is still in my head note for note to this day. I could play it on my guitar - really cool.

Others cool mentions:
    Intro video to Motocross Madness 2, song "New Skin" by Incubus.

A few good intro song/videos to old EA NHL titles. Few bad ones too.

I used to crank Megadeth and play Descent :)

Worst music - I saw a demo video at the GDC a few years ago of an "art game" that was nothing but insanely annoying music and flashing graphics. The guy talking about it thought it was a great game because it broke new ground, and it challenged the player by annoying the **** out of him/her.
    Ya.

I feel like I'm forgetting something. Keep in ming I'm in my forties so anything 10 - 15 years old or newer will most likely suck for me ;)

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Just iOS games, right?

Bastion is by far the best

Interesting/Honorable mentions:

As much as I hate to admit it, Silent Ops actually had an entirely decent title soundtrack

Though I didn't like most of the music (or game) 9mm's soundtrack was an interesting attempt to convey the game's tone.

The Walking Dead. Subtle yet profoundly suiting the game.

Max Payne's title soundtrack and a few other bits were just fantastic

GTA 3's radio stations. Those things are so well done, entertaining and amusing, not to mention great parodies.

4. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

#4 schplurg, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    Oh iOS only? I turn off game music before I even start playing, so I have no opinion there. Lot of annoying music I can think of (especially through the phone speaker), but hmmmmm....ya I dunno. Games that are ported shouldn't count then :D

Actually wasn't Quake ported, or am I mistaken?

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    If games that are ported shouldn't count, then many console and PC titles should be out.

6. Shinsaku

Shinsaku Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Easy winner:

Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP!!!

7. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    See now? Your Incubus, NIN? That's not fair ;). Besides, those are PC games. A great PC OST which I got as part of on accident was the one from Deus Ex. I got it by accident. When I first bought it, I picked up the Collector's Edition from the Best Buy Bargain bin. It was a "collectable version of the demo. But it did include the soundtrack.

I'm with you on Daytona USA. As far as arcade games go, it doesn't get much better than Spy Hunter, with the theme to Peter Gunn playing throughout :)

8. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I assume you've never played Beat Hazard Ultro, Radballs, etc? You're missing out.

9. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Radballs
    Bastion
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
    Mage Gauntlet