Jet Car Stunts and Super Monkey Ball 2 questions:

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MasterChief3624, Dec 12, 2009.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Super Monkey Ball 2: Is it worth it to buy for $5? I love the games on GameCube (with the exception of Super Monkey Ball Adventure), and really enjoyed the ones I played on DS and N-Gage. Will this one be satisfying for me?

Jet Car Stunts: Is this game anything like Rush: Extreme Racing? Really random question, but for some reason I'm getting a Rush vibe with it. Is that appropriate? Or is it different than that?

2. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Super Monkey Ball is definetly not worth it, especially if you are a fan because you will just be more disappointed. I have never played that game you mentioned, but I can tell you that Jet Car Stunts is definitely worth it for the price, fun, replayability, and physics.

3. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    What would make me disappointed in Super Monkey Ball 2?

4. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    you said you loved it on gamecube, but since it is nowhere near as good as it was on gamecube, I just thought you might be a little disappointed.

5. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    It's not like Rush, that game is mostly just racing, Jet Car Stunts is more about trying to finish tracks as quick as possible, no other racers involved. Whatever way you look at it though, it's an awesome game.

6. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    What wouldn't?

7. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Lol and that's the reason I added the N-Gage and DS versions to my list. I don't care about graphics or scope, just that it holds up being as fun as those were. That's all :p

Oooh.. all right. I like the sound of that a lot.

What makes it stunt racing? I haven't seen any people do tricks on it. Is it stuff like hitting a ramp at the right angle to barrel roll and stuff?

Also, is there an arena where you can just freely roam around and hit jumps at ridiculous speeds or anything?

8. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Sadly, no arena but hopefully something like that in an update.

The stunt part of the game is basically landing the huge jumps. when I saw the game I thought it would be pretty easy to make every jump, but you need to hold the boost button at the almost exact correct times to make jumps.

My opinion: the challenge of the game is not too frustrating, it just keeps you coming back. Best game on my ipod.

9. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    So is it the kind of challenge where you never get frustrated because you know the reason why you failed is your own doing? (a la Ikaruga)

10. bweb

bweb Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Jet Car Stunts was really fun... until I beat it. Now it's really just taking up space. It's a great game, no doubt, but it seems to get old after a while.
    On the other hand, I just picked up SMB2 yesterday, and it is worth every penny. 115 levels and mini-games (only one now, two more coming in updates) make this game very replayable. It's kinda tough to get used to the controls, but it doesn't get frustrating.
    I recommend the latter.

11. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Hm I see.

Have the people who made either game announced lite versions? For either Jet Car Stunts or Super Monkey Ball 2?

12. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I would not count on it.

Not seeing a reason for it for Jet Car Stunts and SMB2 never had a lite version for the first one.

David

13. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Isn't there always a reason for it? Just for people who are on the fence to try it out? :p

And I'm pretty sure Super Monkey Ball did have a lite version, but it was taken down. One of my friends with an iPhone has a lite version of the game, I'm pretty sure.

14. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I stand corrected on the lite version.

The year I have had my Touch, I had not seen it, therefore, did not think there had been one.

Had not heard of it either, oh well.

David

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    SMB2 is slightly easier than SMB1 due to the refined controls, but later levels are still challenging, so don't worry that you'll finish it in a few minutes, because you won't –*especially if you want to unlock all crown levels.

If I were you, I'd get it while it's on sale. You see, SMB1 has been out for 1+ year and the price is still $3.99, while SMB2 is now $4.99. I don't see Sega lowering the price any cheaper than it is now otherwise it'll be cheaper than the 1-year old SMB1 and that doesn't make sense.

Also, Sega promised us some new minigames, and there's still 1 locked icon in the main menu which I don't know what for (maybe reserved for future updates?).

from http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=37014

16. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Sorry to dig this up, but I can't help but wonder if there has been any news about the further SMB2 minigames in the almost 6 months since its release. Someone said on here at the time that they would never come, damn that prophet!

Anyway while I'm here, might as well add 2 is better than 1 in terms of control, once you get used to it, and certainly easier, but it doesn't even have local leaderboards to keep track of times, let alone any online solution, jeez.

17. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Monkey Ball vs. Jet Car Stunts

Graphics: Jet Car

Physics: Jet Car

Fame: Monkey Ball

Replayability: Jet Car Stunts

Sound: Jet Car Stunts

Overratedness: Monkey Ball

18. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I love Super Monkey Ball 2. I remember writing a long review a few months ago when it was released but can't find it. It's one of the AppStore classics and for me it offers a very console-like experience with its many levels, replays and unlockables. Too bad SEGA is such a piss-poor company thesedays and never fulfils the promise of bringing in the other 2 minigames.

I really enjoy SMB2 and would highly recommend it.

On the other hand, I can't get into Jet Car Stunts. I don't know why but I just can't enjoy it. Similar reasons with some people can't get into Cooking Mama or Professor Layton I suppose.

19. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    The only two categories that Super Monkey Ball won are those that are negative.