Megaman is $.99, but...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Don Kuhns, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Don Kuhns

Don Kuhns Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How's it going friends! I'm a new guy who needs some insight on a game. Some of you fellow gamers might have noticed that Megaman is now $.99. Reading the reviews, I kinda feel that it doesn't live up to the real thing. The difference now is that the price of the game dropped from $4.99. Would you guys purchase this with the updated price or should this game be avoided entirely?

2. craighauser

craighauser Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Depends on if you want to reduce your perception of MegaMan to a terrible port with crappy controls. Get 2XL ATV Racing, it is the best $.99 game on the market, it is down from 7 bucks.

3. Don Kuhns

Don Kuhns Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks a lot for your recommendation. I just got 2XL ATV Racing. I've heard many good things about it.

4. craighauser

craighauser Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    yeah, .99 is a steal. I almost felt bad buying it haha

5. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    It's worth it for the sound track. :rolleyes:

6. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I love old school platformer so I bought it instantly at $0.99. It's not perfect but one of the better old school port.

One thing for sure is Capcom has put a lot more thought and care about this than SEGA has to their Sonic, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage. Capcom actually listened to feedback and gave a controls update which makes the game work well.

Sure the front image (2D artwork) looks cheesy (I prefer pixel artwork or a good 3D megaman, or even the original megaman illustration cover for NES) and it doesnt have all the 'collector's edition' materials like sketches, history, etc2. But still, it's fun to play and brings great memory :)

7. Don Kuhns

Don Kuhns Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yeah, I thought about it for a while and eventually got it. Even if it wasn't good it's still only a buck. So... I played it and it wasn't that bad! I think the fact that this was one of my favorite games as a kid convinced me to purchase it. I personally think that it's worth buying at .99 if you grew up with the old school Megaman.

8. Magic

Magic Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    I never played the original mega man, but I like the controls on the game (probably cause I can't compare it to the original). I have to say if you are a fan of the 8 bit games and grew up with games like sonic the hedgehog, mario, etc. You would be missing out not to try this one at 0.99 cents. I never played mega man but I really enjoy this game. Anyone who says its not worth it either already played it, or is expecting too much. I recommend it, its a classic.

9. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Part of the problem is that Mega Man is an incredibly challenging game, and when you take away tactile feedback from buttons, the thing is really too difficult. And not in the good, "wow I feel great mastering that difficult section!" sort of way, but in the bad "why won't these ****ing controls do what I keep telling them to?!?" way.

Mega Man just wasn't designed for the iPhone. You're better off buying a platforming game that really takes the iPhone's strengths into account. Try Soozis, Rolando 2, or Bounce On. They're all cheap and fun.

10. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I played the original Megaman II and remember it was quite a challenging game, so I was worried Megaman II on the iPhone will be frustrating with the virtual buttons.

Surprisingly, I find myself crusing through levels. Admittedly it's on Easy level, but the control works flawlessly. I've finished 4 levels so far:
    - wood man
    - air man
    - bubble man
    - heat man

I remember Heat level to be very difficult, it requires such precision and quick 'fingerworks' when jumping on the disappearing platforms, yet I managed to finish it rather quickly. I did die a few times in this level, but never because of the controls. It was just a mistiming instead of 'Ohhh I pressed it why doesn't it work!?!?'

I'm very impressed by Namco for adjusting the gameplay mechanism for iPhone, they've done a brilliant job.

This game for me is a solid A.