Hook Champ Lite out + Design a Character Contest!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by Kepa, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #1 Kepa, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    Get ready for a world of swinging ADVENTURE!

Game Info Page

App Store Link to the Lite Version

TouchArcade thread with massive praise for the Full Version

Also, get ready for a contest. A contest to design a Hook Champ character. Instructions follow:

1. Check the Lite version out here!
    Download it, play it, get a feel for the game setting. Maaaaybe rate it??? Though the last part totally won't help you win the contest.

2. Post your idea for a character here, as a reply in this thread. Their name, appearance, and story.

3. Also post how they'd play differently if they replaced the main character. New items? New physics? No grappling hook at all? Go nuts here.

Wow Contest Rules are BORING. Let's talk about PRIZES.

The Rocketcat Games staff (me and two other dudes) will vote on our five favorite entries. All five winners will receive the following double-prize prize combo.

1. A Promo Code for the full version they can use themselves or trade for a vastly inferior game.

2. A picture of their winning character, made by our artist, in the exact same style as the Hook Champ main character, Jake.

Entries won't be accepted after Saturday at 5pm pacific time. Winners will be announced some time after that.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The main character definitely needs a taller brother in green overalls. He slide around more but can jump higher... :rolleyes:

Or a distant family member with a spear that he launches himself in to the air with? :eek:

Rename the main character to Cliff Hanger and you could add in his brother, Coat! :eek:

OK, I'll shut up now. :D

3. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    #3 ikemike, Oct 21, 2009
    Ninja: Jade I. Roper

Name: Jade I. Roper
    Appearance: Female, black, wearing black ninja suit w/ red sash, wearing black mask (green eyes revealed)
    Hook: Long spike (instead of hook), with thinner rope
    Play: You can play as her after you beat the level as Jake. She shoots out her spike (hook) faster and has a faster running speed proportionally to Jake's at their current level, but is normal in all other aspects. Her sash blows behind her as she moves. (If possible: after she falls to the ground, she rolls at a higher speed and then reverts to running at normal speed)

Story: Jade I. Roper spent 5 years searching for hooking skills equal to her own. In her journey through Redport, she heard of a man whose hooking skills were legendary, and sought to beat him. Now, she follows him constantly, always trying to catch up and challenge him to a race.

4. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    #4 Seishu, Oct 21, 2009
    Hmm, how about a non-human character?
    Some kind of rock being or golem nicknamed Tim. He was discovered deep in an enchanted cave, and Jake befriended him. Instead of a grappling hook he can stiffly extend and swing both his arms. He would be limited in terms of speed and mobility, but he makes up for it with brute force. He can run a bit faster than Jake and pick up enough momentum to break through weak spots. Since he's made of enchanted rock he could move more freely underwater or maybe even in magma.
    As for back story... He was born a normal man named Timothy who loved to explore caves on the island. One day as he was crawling through a narrow crevice he came upon a large cavern. It was filled with all sorts of odd papers, potions, books, and totems. He decided to look around for a little bit when an evil voodoo witch caught him and cursed him to be entrapped in stone. Now he wanders around searching and hoping for someone with the power to return him to his original state. When Jake accidentally bumps into Tim he listens to Tim's story and finds it very interesting. He promises to help Tim on his quest to become human again and in return Tim helps Jake in his treasure hunts.

5. mebeswordguy

mebeswordguy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Name: Jane
    Apperance: female, black ninja suit covering most of the body, pony tail
    Hook: Pole, you can upgrade length, strength, and speed.
    Attributes: higher then normal jump, and less friction in jumps.
    Story: Originally on a boat going to the olympics, she was waylaid by a ship full of pirates. She escaped when they got to Greenbay and found out about a treasure in the temples there. With her flexibility and areodynamic pole-vaulting, She knew she would be able to get past the many enemies in the temple, not to mention the one eternally chasing her!

6. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    #6 Gryphon23, Oct 21, 2009
    Name: Latch
    Appearance: Small brown dog with a black spot on his back, and a white spot on his eye. Short, stubby tail. Instead of hats, you can buy collars!
    Hook: His Tail!!!! Upgrade all the things you can normally upgrade, but also upgrade his bark! His bark is like rocket boots, but it sends you blasting up and forward!
    Attributes: Higher jumps than Jake, but he tends to fall quicker.
    Story: On a peaceful Sunday, Jake was with his dog Latch getting treasure. Jake grabbed the treasure, when the Monster came! Jake quickly grabbed Latch and hooked away, but dropped Latch on accident! Latch almost fell into magic water, but Jake barely got him in time. But, the magic water touched Latch's tail, and then... It turned into a grapple hook! Now Latch and Jake both grapple their way through the cursed dungeons... BFFs! =P

I hope you like my idea! (Oh, maybe you could add multiplayer too! Multiplayer could be online, local wifi, or blutooth!) ;)

7. zlibd

zlibd Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New York
    i was bored:p

-Character-
    Name: "The Incredible" Dr. Friedrich "Freddy" Von Harpin III A.K.A. "The Doc"
    Appearance: Slightly older than Jake. Dark, grayish, slightly-balding hair, with a full mustache. Wears a derby by default. Has that wild west banker type look. Uses glasses and/or a 'loupe'
    Story: Local pawn shop owner of Redport driven out of business due to the economy's recent favoring of the demand of hats over gadgets. Due to his years of collecting and trading, he owns many things from broken forks to even his own air balloon, which is why Jake requests his services. The Doc joins Jake and Gunny as their guide and chauffeur to retrieve the far away treasures of surrounding forgotten sites.

-Items-
    Harpoon Cane - half cane for the docs limp with half retractable harpoon to latch onto cave ceiling. now people will be addicted being a hooker and having cane. replaces the grappling hook
    Flash Jars - glass jar full of materials to create a quick flash bang that propels the doc forward while stunning any nearby enemies, why it goes off so close to his body the world may never know. works by useage of witchcraft or something called science. replaces shotgun
    Hang Glider (Da Vinci-esque edition) - in his bag full of tricks the doc keeps a deployable hang glider that while is useful, drops all his other belongings. slows the docs flaw of fast drops and even ascends him into the air a bit. replaces rocket boots

-Physics-
    Speed - Average, will never be as fast as he wants to be
    Drop after detachment - Fast, he says it's the weight of his bag but he's not the slimmest man in Redport

8. dotBrain

dotBrain Active Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #8 dotBrain, Oct 21, 2009
    Two ideas!

Name : Doc Prospect

Appearance : Standard issue white lab coat. Red pants.

Story : Doc Prospect knows Jake all too well. Who do you think revives Jake after he's chomped, or had a little bit too close encounter with some lava. Doc Prospect is constantly warning Jake about the perils of cave grappling and treasure hunting, but Jake just doesn't listen. The good Doctor dives headlong after Jake to put him back together time and time again.

Play : Doc Prospect's preferred method of travel is his bright red (not pink) stethoscope. Being mostly elastic it can't quite swing him through the caves. Instead, upon attaching to a wall, it quickly springs back to shape pulling him quickly forwards. Great for climbing vertically. Perhaps if the Doc feels like it, he can use one of them adrenalin syringes on himself for a temporary boost of running speed.

- - - - -

Name : Paul V.

Appearance : Short, loose, baby blue athletics shorts (think the 70s). Matching top. Alternative outfit is bright blue spandex. Wrist bands, headband.

Story : Paul V. is a world class pole vaulter. After winning the Olympics 4 times in a row, he grew bored of the standard pole vaulting and of competitions as well. He traveled to the mountains of China where he trained with Shaolin monks and after 6 years and over 9000 hours of training was given a magical bo staff by his master. Paul isn't in this for the money, the greatest competition is with himself, and he wants to prove to himself he can conquer the greatest pole vaulting challenges.

Play : The ceiling is overrated! Paul V. firmly plants his magical bo staff on the floor to launch himself upwards and forwards. The magic part comes in that it can extend to many times it's original length! He could probably whack any corporeal things following him with it as well.

9. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Member

Oct 19, 2009
    #9 KerrWasHere, Oct 21, 2009
    i already have the app (VERRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FUN by the way)

but if they make a new character it would be cool to be able to acually use them in-game.

edit: WHOA, the app just glitched at the start of the level and i ended up under the map, i will screenshot it

edit2: Now im on top of the level, Wth is going on with this level

10. MealonX

MealonX Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #10 MealonX, Oct 21, 2009
    Name: Patches
    Appearance: Small brown monkey, wiry and sports a small yellow helmet.
    Hook: His prehensile tail.
    Attributes: Is faster at running and is able to latch onto the side of walls. His tail is slightly shorter then Jake's hook but launches out faster. Gravity is slightly less on him because of his small mass.
    Story: In the Monkey Temple Jake came across a baby monkey all alone. Jake carried on through the temple and because of the excess weight on the rope, it broke causing the two to fall on the ground. Angry, Jake through his rope and hook shot on the ground he knew the ghost was coming soon and they were dead meat. The monkey hopped off his back and walked over to the rope. He tied the two ends together with some spit and some of his hair. The monkey brought the rope back to Jake and he proclaimed, "You patched it!""That's what I'll call you, Patches!" From then on the two were never without each other.
    Possible Story/Quest: While Jake was swinging in the (Enter new temple here) he slipped and broke his arm. Unable to swing...
    1. ...Jake had Patches carry him through the temple with the idol to the exit
    -OR-
    2. ...Jake told Patches to carry on without him and to go it alone with the idol.

The Monkey could really serve to add more to the storyline and be a playable standalone character. He could also just be a variant to the hook shot while still having the same character with a slightly different sprite.

11. bobjoe3000

bobjoe3000 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Name: Horace

Appearance: Gas mask, short black hair, dark green trench coat, Robotic arms.

Movement: His two robotic arms which can stretch. If needed he could latch one hand on a lower object while the other is on the roof. He could be pulled back and let go of like a slingshot. While he is flying forward he could smash through rocks and other debris.

Story: Horace was once from another world ravaged by nuclear war. He lived in what was once a lush and fertile grassland where his family owned a farm. Now it is just a wasteland with nothing there but rubble. He survived the worst of the war by hiding in a cave underneath a huge mountain. One day however the mountain was hit by a stray missile and caused all the loose rock to fall down. One huge boulder landed on Horace's arms and he couldn't get it off. In the end he pulled on his arms so much that they got ripped off. After screaming in pain for hour upon hour he realized he was trapped because of all the fallen rocks. So he wandered through the caves until he found a lost treasure. A robot. the robot's arms had fallen off and he put them on the stubs of his arms, they fit well. he was still trapped though so he kept walking until he found an exit. The exit however was to a different world. In this world everything was still alive. He turned around and went back into the cave so he could go home and get his family and bring them there to that world. Sadly he never found the exit and is still wandering the caves today.

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Quick note: I might not comment on all the entries I like, just the ones I can make fun of the most easily.

REAL mature.

That is one amazing doctor, considering that Jake is skeletonized every time he dies.

That would be cool. But it would take awhile. *Wistful sigh*.

13. dotBrain

dotBrain Active Member

Oct 21, 2009
    They can rebuild him... *wanananana*[/slowmo]

14. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    #14 spidey146, Oct 21, 2009
    First of all ROFL at his last name, did you even rethink it after you did it? Secondly I have 2 ideas:

Name: Mynx Guantanez ( Agent Lightning Cobra)
    Appearance: Tuxedo, short-black hair, snazzy shoes, black earpiece attached to ear
    Hook: Grappling hook ( kind that is shaped like a gun, you pull the trigger and the hook shoots out)
    Abilitys:Rolls when he jumps, giving him the ability to fit through tight places, can slide under objects, very fast and swift
    Story: After being abandonned by his parents after he was born and never meeting them, he was taken in by George Guantanez ( Agent Leader Lion) and was raised as his son. His favorite animal was always the mynx so that's what they named him; Mynx Guantanez. He grew up and was trained in a top-secret secret agent school called W.O.N.D.E.R. ( World Order Near Death Raiders) and by the time he was 7 he was the best in his class and by the time he was 14 he was the top in his school. After turning 18, George Smith officialy declared him Top-Agent and sent him on many life threatning missions, finishing them with ease. His final and latest mission was to gather ancient artifacts from old ruins, each with a deadly attribute and secret, before the school's arch rival agent; Joel Hardy ( Agent Black Dragon) got them and unleashed their power on the world.

I will write the second one later on because it is a pain to write on my iPod ;).

15. MealonX

MealonX Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #15 MealonX, Oct 21, 2009
    This does not pertain to the topic, but the other topic is way too crowded. I have a few ideas for new temples to mix the game play up.

1. Temple with some moving platforms, not overdone.
    2. Space- Less gravity, or no gravity at all. There could be blackholes and when Jake hooks onto something he travels around it in a circle (Unless hit by an obstacle)
    3. Some kind of powerup- speed boost, less gravity.
    4. Double Grapple- Can use one in each hand.
    5. Some more running obstacles, maybe a button to actually jump.
    6. Mine cars on tracks that fly off and you have to jump out then hook onto a ceiling.
    7. Ice temple- Jake slides around
    8. Cavern Collapse- The cavern is collapsing, falling ceiling and rocks, etc.
    9. Hats that increase a certain ability.
    10. If possible, a cooperative multiplayer that forces players to latch onto another in order to get past parts. Or just racing.
    11. Wind temple, it's windy and has wind shooting up in some parts, down in others, and against and benhind him in other parts too.
    12. Backwards temple- swing from right to left (to mix things up)
    13. Temple escape + escaping from a dense forest. It would have tree tops and you could land in the canopy.
    14. Pyramid escape- it would have passages like slides and hidden switches.

I just thought of these, I have many more ideas that I could come up with. I love this game and I'm sad that I beat it. The worst part about the game is when you realize you beat it (You can quote me on that). I'd love to see this game continue to entertain me.

16. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#16 lazypeon, Oct 21, 2009
    Name: General Evil
    Appearance: Dark version of Jake, wearing a dark army uniform
    Hook: A hookshot
    Attributes: Once a treasure seeker himself, General Evil met his match in the lava pits of Skull Mountain. Now more machine than man, he has had his body enhanced his body with powerful rockets, allowing him near infinite boost ability. However, the boosting mechanism is tied to his hookshot launcher -- each time he boosts, the length of his hook shortens.

Name: Ghost Whisperer
    Appearance: Hooded version of Jake riding a ghost
    Attributes: While most treasure hunters are haunted by the spirits guarding the idol, there are those among them that are revered by these same spirits. The most talented among these adventurers, the ghost whisperers, have managed to tame these spectral minions, allowing them to ride through the caves. While ghost whisperers rarely have to worry about falling while riding their ghost, they move more slowly when not swinging.

Name:The Magnet
    Appearance: Helmet wearing superhero, ala Magneto
    Attributes: As more adventurers arrived and idols became more challenging to acquire, some adventurers began seeking out ways to gain competitive advantages over their fellow 'hookers'. One, who goes only by 'The Magnet', has managed to create a magnetic hook that seeks out objects to grapple onto. Whenever he launches his hook, if it would otherwise miss, the hook grabs a nearby obstacles. Unfortuantely, the power system for the magnetic hook interferes with the rocket boots.

Name: The Mad Hatter
    Appearance: Wears a green coat
    Attributes: Some 'hookers' have gone mad seeking the idols, causing them to favor buying hats instead of equipment. The Mad Hatter has combined the best of both worlds -- wearing different hats will give the Mad Hatter unique abilities. Try all of them and see what happens!

Some ideas:
    - Miners hat: Provides increased visibility on new DARK levels
    - Plutocrat: Increases gold from treasure
    - Propeller: Fall more slowly
    - Bandito: Shotgun more powerful / addition shot

Name: Indiana Joe
    Appearance: Like Indiana Jones
    Hook: A whip
    Attributes: The legend himself. He's got a penchant for danger and adventure, but prefers his trusty whips to the newfangled 'hookshot' craze. It's not nearly as long as the hookshot, but is much faster.

Name: Skeleton
    Appearance: A humanoid skeleton
    Attributes: Skeletons of 'hookers' litter the treasure filled caves of the idols, and a few of those skeletons have become to come to life. The skeletons are frail and lack the speed and finesse of their original owners, but attract no attention from spectral guardians. Skeletons are ideal for exploring the ruins unfettered by any interference.

Name:Mr. Octopus
    Appearance: Man with multiple mechanical arms coming out of his body
    Hook: His mechanical arms
    Attributes: Mr. Octopus has all the same power-ups as Jake, but can have two 'hooks' activated at once, allowing him to easily climb up vertical spaces.

Name: Santa Claus
    Appearance: Santa Claus in a sleigh pulled by a reindeer
    Hook: A whip
    Attributes: Instead of a hookshot, Santa used his whip (which he otherwise users to speed his reindeer) to grapple onto objects. Instead of rocket boots, Santa can buy an item that allows him to glide for some time.

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I read every single post in the other topic. May as well post it in there, since it would also make it easier to find. I read it anyway, though.

You will see this game continue to entertain you, we're working on more content already.

18. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    two of my ideas!

great game by the way, I played most of the lite version and I really like it, but I would like it even more if I got the full version and saw one of my characters in it:D

name: Alec Tricion

appearance: orange jump suit (like an electrical worker) with white stripes and a white hardhat.

hook: a wire with a two pronged plugin at the end (maybe that has a arc of electricity between the prongs)

attributes: physics are similar to Jake's except that the the electrical nature of the wire is attracted to metallic objects like a magnet, and since most rocks contain metal, his hook will latch onto nearby rocks even if he misses. He also has magnetic repulsion boots (also home-made, which run on AAA batteries, meaning they run out pretty quick - only three uses per level, or something like that) that allow him to grab onto a wall and then repel (jump off and up) off of it to get higher.

story: Alec is an electrician by trade, but not by practice. He is one of the more clumsy fellows in the business, but he loves to swing from cords. He was always climbing up on telephone poles and walking across the wires. He also used spare wires as cables for his very own, home-made grappling hook. One day, he stumbled upon a temple that Jake was investigating, and being an adventurous sort, he offered to help Jake with his quest.

name: The Rookie (named by Jake because of his obvious lack of skill, apparent by his premature end)

appearance: a skeleton wrapped in shreds of cloth and spiderwebs.

hook: a spiderweb attached to a skeletal hand (which is the hook)

attributes: He is very lite-weight (due to lack of tissue) which makes him very fast while swinging and when he lets go, he jumps quite far. However, because he has no muscles, he cannot walk, so he must drag his...corpse along the ground with his arm, which can be quite slow. However, the spirits that inhabit the cave can be quite helpful, but they are not without greed. One can be hired to give Rookie a ride for the proper amount of pocket change.

story: this young adventurer got careless in his youth and tried to navigate through the dangerous traps of one of the temples. He met his end when a fell and cracked his head open, and his wrist was broken. Due to unusual paranormal activity in the temple, his skeletal structure and consciousness were reanimated. He lacked the muscles to walk around the temple, so he used the spiderwebs that covered his body to fashion a rope and his own broken off hand to create a makeshift grappling hook. When Jake entered the temple, not only did he unite with a fellow adventurer, but he was scared out of his wits by a skeleton swinging from the ceiling of what seemed like an already spooky place.

19. doone128

doone128 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    #19 doone128, Oct 21, 2009
    Name: Dr Kepallion

Appearance: Long black trench coat, with waistcoat underneath. Glasses. Very dandy looking.

Hook: A grapple which fires from his home made grapple shooter on his wrist.

Attributes: His trench coat acts sort of like a wing letting him jump higher with the rocket boots and drift further. However, he is slower in general when on the ground and underwater.

Story: Dr Kepallion is a hat collector and a connoisseur of all things hat like. He has spent his lifetime searching the globe for a multitude of different hats. He has discovered, amongst others, The Great Hat of Tutankbaboon in Egypt, The Head Covering of Haggai in Judah and The Flat Cap of Brian from Yorkshire. He fashioned his grapple gun to aid him in his quest to discover the Holy of Holies - The Legendary Hat Da Vinci. Legend has it that this is the hat that gave Leonardo da Vinci his amazing skills of painting, inventing, music etc. It is said that without the hat he was a bumbling buffoon, but with the hat he was a genius! If Dr Kepallion can find this hat, he can produce some of the most beautiful, and priceless, works known to man.

20. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Just popping in to say that I'm still reading this thread. The design a character contests ends Saturday at 5pm pacific, so there's still plenty of time to check out the lite version then think of a character to post here. Up till then, I'll be checking this thread daily.