Universal Reckless Racing 2 - (by Polarbit) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 1, 2012.

1. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    It has iCade support?

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    $5 is still cheap as anything for this game. As for the IAP's this is another example of people getting carried away, you dont have to buy the IAP's, its a bit like Death Rally, take your time doing races to build up your car/money or if you want a quick fix then buy some IAP's

IAP's dont ruin this game at all, its just there for people who want to quickly move ahead which is fine

3. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Nope - this is why I'm asking before shelling out 4 euros for the game only to find out it sucks with the iCade. Some racing games are perfectly controllable with the iCade via the Blutrol hack; some (e.g., Death Rally or Mini Motor Racing By The Binary Mill) aren't.

4. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Right. But the concept since the original RR has changed. Now it seems that i have to grind thru and upgrade upgrade upgrade...i dont have time and patience for that. Sorry

5. mr11

mr11 Member

Nov 2, 2011
    how to change my avatar name in this game ?

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Fair enough, dont think they can win though, to me theres a lot of gameplay in this game which will keep me busy, if people complete the levels in a few hours they'll then criticise it for being too short !

7. Pixelbite_Games

Pixelbite_Games Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    Helsingborg, Sweden
    There's an Arcade game mode with 40 challenges where you get a different car that's already fitted with upgrades for you for each event. A good way to see pretty much the whole game, without even bothering with the career, credits or upgrades.

8. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Nice to see you around here... any plans on adding iControlPad support? Preferably for the analogue nubs but even digital (iCade-compliant) would be nice.

9. Pixelbite_Games

Pixelbite_Games Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    Helsingborg, Sweden
    We can look into that. The game do support analogue input internally already, so it shouldn't be much trouble to make it work with such devices.

10. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I've got an iCade if you are willing to let me beta test.

11. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Game = awesome!! :D
    Controls (all) = terrible!! :(

Please add a floating joystick for steering in the next update pixelbite!

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Is anyone able to answer what the frame rate is on A5 devices please? Dev?

13. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Yes it does mate after having played it. I have the say that this is a truly great game. I do wish there was more dirt track racing however......maybe a seperate game mode in the future.

14. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Yes it does mate after having played it. I have the say that this is a truly great game. I do wish there was more dirt track racing however......maybe a seperate game mode in the future.

15. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Sorry pixelbite but I have to call you out on this one... Why has the concept of the game changed so much? This is more about upgrading than having fun. Plus, the races aren't very fun at all. Cars go very slow (even after upgrades) the moment a car barely goes off road thy are teleported back on the track in half a second, plus the drifting and car animation/control simply isn't the same. This one feels very flat and one dimensional. RR1 was about jumping in and having a good time, this on the other put the focus on upgrades and took out all the fun in the actual driving. The cars have barely any decent controlling physics and animation and hitting someone is pretty useless now. This may have great graphics and lots of customization, but it's not a true sequel to RR1.

Please don't ruin Reckless Getaway 2 like that for me.

16. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#136 Habakuk, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    No comment.

I love the exotic supercars in Asphalt 6 more by far. And you can watch them from all sides and viewing points during a race. Not only from above as an (for humans) "unnatural" bird's perspective. And I am pretty sure that the "flight feeling" is much higher on awesome jumps in a 3D third/first person view racer than this flat 2D top down. I own most of the iOS topdown racers but NEVER had something like a flight feeling.

Thank you very much, Big Albie, for your extensive review. I read every word but (except the quote above, new cars) couldn't find ANY new racing game element in your description. Sounds pretty like: More of the same. BTW: Which device did you use for your test?

Although we (my local friends and I) are big racer fans I think we'll stay with our beloved Asphalt 6 (for me personally the best video game of all times, esp. the local multiplayer mode), Real Racing 2 sometimes (most of us love arcade more than the boring simulator), Reckless Racing 1 (and all the other "slot car racers") if I want to play a topdown view racer. (Here I am the only one; almost none of my friends love topdown racers, they are saying: "When I want that I'll use my physical Carrera tracks.")

BTW: The excellent Asphalt 6: Adrenaline has the ideal balance/amount of drifting/sliding, the by far best controls and smoothest graphics. Spectacular on A5 devices. Five stars. Triple A.

Played Reckless Racing 1 and the controls weren't bad. My favorite topdown view racer: SlotZ Racer (pulled but should show up again soon, there is something like a Lite available).

17. DagsJT

DagsJT Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Some framerate drops on the iPad 1 on the first couple of tracks. Gives a bit of a headache. RAM cleared before playing so that's not the issue.

18. MJFox

MJFox Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Vienna, Austria
    I just played it with the iCade (with the help of Blutrol), works perfectly well! :D

greetings

MJFox

19. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Sounds promising :) Now I hope they indeed add native (!) iCP support.

20. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Ok I'm done with this snoozer. It's beyond me how the very fun racing of rr1 has been reduced to such bore inducing gameplay.

I've play campaing half way. Upgraded several car and completed many of the arcade challenges and at the end it's all a very boring afair because the fun racing mechanics from rr1 have been exchanged for customizations and upgrades. But me personally all I care about is the ACTUAL RACING and its NOT FUN here.

I tried to be fair to the game and went back to rr1 and even RG to remember why I enjoyed those games so much and it was all in the racing me mechanics; the way the cars moved and shifted, the way body-roll played key in corners and way you could make contact with other drivers. Sadly after many races in RR2, I can say for a fact that NONE of them are there. Yes you can still drift but, it's very tedious and so unsatisfying here. Plus all the cars seem to perform the same way anyway.

I guess all I have to look forward to is multiplayer in MMR (when ever they implement it) and good old Death Rally. Pixelbite please, if you will make a RG2, PLEASE PLEASE keep the core gameplay as it currently is in Reckless Getaway, for I'd hate to get another dissappointment six months from now.