Does 'The Greedy Cave' Look Too Much Like 'Don't Starve'?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Eli, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Art style looks dangerously close to Don't Starve.

2. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

That was my first thought.

3. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Meh, now they're stealing the graphics from Don't Starve, pff not for me.:mad:
    Very innovative! I'm out, Copy that...

4. Durduhdur

Durduhdur Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    If you really want to get technical, could you say don't starve stole it's art style from Tim burton?? It's all similar yeah, but in a game store with hundreds of thousands of games certain themes and styles will be replicated. I'm jumping in for .99 and giving it a fair chance.

5. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm 110% sure that Don't Starve didn't invent that style. So keep that in mind next time.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Wait, so are you saying this is just a coincidence or that the super distinctive art style of Don't Starve has been done a bunch of times before. If it's the latter, can you provide any examples, as that's my main hesitation right now with regards to posting anything about this game.

7. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    #7 Sash-O, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Maybe DS was inspired by Tim Burton, but it's obvious that these devs from China copied from DS.
    Sure, there are many copycats on the store, but not for me as I won't support them.
    Have fun playing though...:cool:

I didn't say that DS invented that style, but the protagonist looks almost the same, too close for me. And thanks for reminding me. Can you tell me who invented it?

8. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    No, it's probably not a coincidence. But it's not stolen either (stealing is another discussion by the way). And the fact that this art is only used for the main screen, mostly, I really see no big deal here.

But sure, some examples of this art style before Don't Starve was born: Tim Burton (as mentioned above), Gashlycrumb Tinies, Dr. Seuss art (which is in color, but a big influence), Roman Dirge, Edward Gorey (good example).

9. Durduhdur

Durduhdur Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    I didn't say that DS invented that style, but the protagonist looks almost the same, too close for me. And thanks for reminding me. Can you tell me who invented it?[/QUOTE]

You can create your character to look like different. So at least there's that. You don't have to make one that looks like the dude from DS

10. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    The game definitely has some resemblance to the artwork in Don't Starve, but I wouldn't say it's to the extreme of theft. And the gameplay and environments in the screenshots look completely different.

Anyway, I think I'm going to give it a try. I'm totally against theft of assets but there are so many games that uses similar art styles that I'm not going to get worked up about it. It may be one of the few to have the DS art style and probably was at least inspired by it, but there are many other games that adopt similar art styles from others.

If it turns out that assets were completely copied / stolen, I'll be singing a different tune.

11. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    When I saw the write up with the picture the first thing I thought of was oh wow The don't starve devs were working in another game! How did I miss this?

And then I looked and read lol

I totally agree with you.

Billy

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I dont really see a lot of complaints on Crossy Roads using Minecraft's well established voxel art style.

13. Bi88les

Bi88les Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Here, here! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
    (But what's the actual game like?!)

14. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I'd argue its definitely inspired, but not 100% copied. I like the art style though lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Jubelio

Jubelio Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Probably because A. Crossy Road's gameplay has nothing to do with Minecraft and B. Crossy Road doesn't have a protagonist that is a mirror image of Minecraft's protagonist

Same genre, same art style, same protagonist BUT ITS NOT STEALING ANYTHING I SWEAR

16. #16 AppUnwrapper, Feb 2, 2016
    I didn't even play Don't Starve and the art similarities was my first thought, too. All the face expressions looked so familiar, together with the shape of the face and the torch.

Edit: There is only one facial expression, the same one I've seen in Don't Starve images.

17. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Same genre? Not really at all. This is more of a dungeon crawler while Don't Starve is a survival sim. I actually am not a fan of DS (Crashlands is more up my alley for that genre). But this looks like something I'm going to enjoy.

18. Jubelio

Jubelio Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fair enough, genre might be a bit different but I still cant get over how similar the games look and that the protagonist basically combed his hair differently to make the transition.

19. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    #19 NOEN, Feb 2, 2016
    I'll throw my 2 cents is and say the art is HEAVILY inspired by DS just from looking at the screenshots. I'll also say that the game looks damn good tho. I'll pick it up and check it out before I make any judgement I guess. Maybe, just maybe those screenshots are deceiving ;)

20. eventide

eventide Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Wondering if these guys 'borrowed' Don't Starve assets because it looks really, REALLY similar