When Ingame virtual currency runs out!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by plooper, May 6, 2011.

1. plooper

plooper Well-Known Member

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars
    #1 plooper, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
    Some games have little to make virtual currency promotions with.

So if say 20 million people regularly play your game, when they have bought and unlocked your couple of virtual currency game items, what can you do next to keep the profits coming in?

2. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I don't use this economical model, but I guess:
    - Adding content I guess.
    - Making a new version ( 2.0 ), and promote it with the V1.0.

3. plooper

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars

I cannot

My game is such that only 1 or 2 ingame currencies can be inserted.

4. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    you're gonna have to give more info than that... maybe share the game you are talking about?

5. plooper

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars
    I think anyone can answer this question without any details about a game.

You can only do so much with in game currencies with certain game genres.

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    consumable goods are important for a constant cashflow.. if you have fixed goods and there is a point where you got everything the game has to offer.. then thats it.. it then..

and what silly answere is it to say i cannot add more currency.. if it was stated you should add more content.. ?

7. plooper

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars
    Why don't you give a game example and an example of adding content?

Not as easy as you make it sound.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    [​IMG]

Minigore: Characters

[​IMG]

Hook Champ: Hats! Characters!

Lots of games: Level skip / unlock whole game early / extra lives/etc.

9. jlach

jlach Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Sr. Applications Engineer.
    Middletown, CT
    Anyone can answer any question without context, sure. If you're looking for valuable input, though, the more information you can provide us the better.

If you can't add more currency then you're pretty much done. Unless you don't limit the amount of currency a player can buy (I assume we're talking real world money for in game currency?). In order for that to work, however, you will need to have enough items in game to warrant the player purchasing more items.

If it's a one and done type thing then, well, it's one and done. Move onto another project that can offer you more ways to monetize.

10. plooper

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars
    Yes real world money!

This has been tested that using virtual currency to unlock game enhancements is better than purchasing directly.

11. Seriously? How is anyone supposed to give you advice on purchases to add to your specific game without knowing what that game is?

How about adding a Kopi Luwak purchase? Does that fit in?

12. Also, what you are talking about doesn't sound like virtual currency, but simple in-app purchases.

Where does the virtual currency part fit in?

13. dafalcon

dafalcon Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Las Vegas, NV
    The problem isn't what to do AFTER 20 million people are hooked...

If 20 million people have already bought all your in-app purchases, then you'll have a lot of money. Go retire to some exotic island instead of worrying about this problem.

14. plooper

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars
    #14 plooper, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
    Well
    I think I am mixed up with those two.
    I want a player to be able to block someone from something in the game if they buy and upgrade that option with real money.

So I guess that is in-app purchase?
    I cannot see the difference really.

They look the same. Either way you spend money to unlock or enhance a game.
    Maybe you can explain?

However I am thinking in-app advertising may be better than in-app purchase.

15. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Ok... at last a little context.

All virtual currencies are in app purchases. But not all in app purchases are virtual currencies.

If you have one item to sell (i.e. removing advertising or blocking Captain Hector (anybody remember Ambrosia SoftWare?)), then make it a single in app purchase.

Otherwise, or additionally, offer to sell 100 coins for $1, and let them spend those coins on various special items (consumables, powerups, weapons, armors, etc) you offer in the game.

That is virtual currency, and that is how you remove the top end from your potential income.

Thus, more content (items which can be purchased with virtual currency)=more income.

16. plooper

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars
    OK great.

ITs in-app purchase perhaps two at the most.

17. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    i'm lost there.. i know english is not everyones first language, neither is it mine.. but you could at least try to be a bit more descriptive.. and to explain more what you actualy want..

because inapp advertising and inapp purchases have nothing todo with each other..

apparently you don't want to share whats your imaginary 20 million user app you have there.. but whatever it is.. there is always ways to add content no matter what.. except you don't have the sourccode or some other weird things.. like be mac being eaten by the dog or so..

you see i'm not the only one puzzled here.. but if youd spend more than 2 weird sentences to make your point and explain in detail what you are really after i highly doubt someone will be able to answere your question..

18. plooper

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars
    I doubt if any big company will say whats best in-app currency or in-app purchase but its worth a hint.

Because I have read on some Google search that in-app virtual currency is way better than getting people to buy direct with in-app purchase.