Does sound matter?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by McJaws, Jun 25, 2009.

1. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Does your purchase of an iPhone be influenced by the audio from the game? If so why and which games were they?

2. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    I for one have not gotten it, but I have heard many people recommend Zen Bound for its calm sountrack, but as said I have not heard it myself.

EDIT: Oh, and in Real Racing it makes me seem MUCH more into the game when headphones are in.

3. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    I'm one of the ones that got Zenbound for it's alternate gameplay and great ambiance overall. Blimp got me hooked with their soundtrack from their preview trailer and Edge would be the same. Another is Rolando.

I guess i would imagine the question can be extended to "does the quality of the sound make any difference in deciding if you would purchase or not, outside of gameplay and visuals?"

4. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I don't know about you guys, but I hate the sounds in Zenonia, especially the little-kid voice for like an 18 year old or however old he is. The sound effects aren't that intriguing either, I get a bit annoyed after a while. That didnt really ruin the game, but its just a negative I have against it. Atleast you can turn sound off.

5. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah I just didn't get the question. I play a lot of my games on downtime at work. As a result, I don't always listen to sound, unless of course I am at home. As long as the gameplay is good and the visuals are good, I can't say that terrible sound is a hinderance. It does however, add to the over all polish of the game. This is only for the iPhone though. If you were to ask me about this for an Xbox 360 os a PS3 game, sounds and music are a must for the overall feel of the game. As a musician myself, I like to see what sounds capture what scene the best and I let it effect me in a way that it's supposed too..

There are games on this platform that have not-so-great/repetative sounds/songs that I will play no matter what (Zenonia, Chronicles of Inotia). But games like Star Defence and Castle of Magic that has music that do a great job at capturing the feel of particular moments. And I will always lean to that. It's just not HUGELY nessisary on this platform for me.