Thoughts of Flash on iphone

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jychong, Jan 11, 2010.

1. jychong

jychong Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I see that Adobe is making a compiler that allows you to compile Flash apps into an iphone binary. It is supposed to be released soon. What are your thoughts on such a thing? Will it dilute the appstore?

2. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    games section will definitely have a lot more content rolling in from all the millions of flash developers that never took the time to learn iphone sdk.

3. dark matter

dark matter New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Associate Game Designer
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    I think there will be more games with the release of Flash CS5. Sites that host Flash games like Adult Swim and Armor Games are already putting their games on the Iphone; I think we'll see more Flash game sites putting up their games too.

4. I'm certainly not looking forward to it! There are something like 120,000 developers for the AppStore.

Last thing we need is to compete with another 120,000!:confused:

5. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    fascinating... but will they be promoted the same way through the app store? or will they just be website based? if they are website based, we would just have, basically the same competition as now right?

6. They will be full iPhone/iPod Touch applications like any other, not web-based. They claim Windows users will be able to compile and upload a complete app bundle from Flash.

7. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    It will be a flood of shovelware. Even worse than it is now. For every one or two developers who do a good job with it, there will be 250 more who do a terrible job.

i.e. Far in excess of Sturgeon's Law.

The greatest strength of Flash has been that it lets anyone become a game designer. The greatest weakness of flash is that it lets anyone pretend to be a game designer and programmer.

8. DaveLev

DaveLev Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Indie Games Developer for iPhone
    Derby, UK.
    I personally don't like the sounds of it ... We're selling hardly any games as it is and with more games on the store it can't really be of any help for any developer I would have thought!