iPad Gurk III - the 8-bit RPG (by Larva Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Aug 10, 2013.

1. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Omg I went to play today and my save data is gone- no load game or anything. God I had sunk a lot of time into to this and don't want to start over until this bug is fixed.

Man this sucks

2. Endscrypt

Endscrypt Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Yeah bro the game Gurk iii is avaible in the U.K, I've also had it a few times! Having to answer security questions. I've also had my account for many years, the Qs it asks you are the security Qs you have entered. Isn't it only with paid apps it happens either way I do believe its for your own good just a security check I hope ?

3. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Am I the only one who maybe thinks the random encounters occur so frequently it possibly kills the game? No running from battle option (or auto resolve) really hinders this game. My party is level 7 btw. Constantly exiting out of the game, killing the app, then getting back in when, after 2 squares, I'm not in the mood to fight 15 sub level monsters.

Maybe it's just me.

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
  5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    As soon as iPad support is added I'll be purchasing this.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I mysteriously lost my save file; the "Load" button is inexplicitly vacant. Bummer.

7. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Just beat the author pretty cool game for sure.

Think this is the end end?

8. Struan73

Struan73 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Need Help

Hi there,

I am stuck currently. I have finished the Ice Maze quest and got the Chalice. With the word of the respective chieftain I went west (with all 4 keys shown in the character screen) and got to the West Passage. There is the plate with the 4 "keyholes" but I am not able to enter or to do anything? What do I do wrong?

In addition in the middle of the map there is a castle which I can't enter also....

Pls. Help.

Struan

9. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Is an 11th level party enough to beat Kroga and his minions? Been trying a couple of days and not getting close. Don't really want to grind 3 or 4 more levels. Any advice?? Fun game!

10. NightOwl40

NightOwl40 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Fun game...I've been playing for at least a weeke and have finally made it to the 3rd zone, only to find a nasty battle that my level 12 team is too weak for. Time to grind a few more levels.

11. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Is it worth the effort to try to take on the Mlonnix battle with a Level 12 party? Getting up to 2 of my party members wiped out before I get a move in. What level have you guys been when getting to this point in the game?

12. danzibr

danzibr New Member

Nov 2, 2013
    #152 danzibr, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    Hey hey, first time poster. Sorry if I do anything taboo.

I noticed on this site that there are spell lists for 12 characters. It looks like 4 warriors, 4 rangers and 4 mages, but during party creation I could only choose from 3 of each. Specifically, I don't remember any B'Az Aptar, for example.

Is there something I have to do to unlock them? Or was this included in an update? Or can I buy them somehow?

By the way, I'm on the second stage of the forbidden world. The dude at the end there (maybe the Mlonnix battle that bobish is stuck on) totally wipes the floor with me. I've been grinding to get some experience and gear.

EDIT: While we're asking questions, I have a couple more. Does anyone know of a good site with Gurk info? The wiki is good, but doesn't have the details I want. Like formulas. Is it worthwhile to try to start with super high toughness or awareness? Also, what's your favorite team? And what stats do you think are the most important?

13. danzibr

danzibr New Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Double post, but... I just beat this battle so I thought I'd be of help.

Summons are the way to go. Run around and kill dudes before Mlonnix until you get 1 or 2 dragon statues (or whatever they're called). They summon gold dragons. Use the statue and summon dudes near Mlonnix. He only gets 2 attacks per turn, so even if you summon really crappy dudes (hopefully you can do this at fast speed), they eat up one of his dangerous attacks. The dragon you summon will make short work of the scrubs with the Mlonnix.

Worked for me, anyway. It takes a bit of luck (such as Mlonnix starting far away) to not lose a dude on the first turn. Just restart until the positioning is favorable.

14. danzibr

danzibr New Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Any way to unlock *spoilers*

So when you beat the game you unlock the other 3 characters. Is there another way to do this?

I played this game about a year and a half ago on my iPad. My iPad died and I downloaded Gurk III on my phone. I'd love to play it again, but I want to use some of the characters you unlock, and I don't want to play the whole game just to unlock the other 3.

15. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Why haven't I played this game before!? It's freakin' FANTASTIC!!

16. pavogel

pavogel New Member

Mar 22, 2017
    I suspect that Gurk III is a HTML5/JavaScript application that actually runs in your device's web browser (even though it doesn't appear to run in a web browser). Sometimes apps are really a webpage that use a wrapper that makes it full-screen so you don't see the web browser controls. I also believe it written to use HTML5 Local Storage for its save file. This means that if you go into your browser and delete your Local Storage (sometimes called Web Storage or DOM storage), just like you delete your cookies, you will be deleting your Gurk III save file also. If you don't recall doing this before realizing that your save file was missing, it may have been done by any Anti spyware/malware apps you have on your device. I think it is the case that cell phone devices like iPhone or Android have local storage locked down where the user can't delete it unless the device is jailbroken. But I could be mistaken about that. I know on my android it won't let me delete local storage.

The following website allows you to play a game online that is using Gurk III eburp game engine...

http://pents90.github.io/eburp/

If you go to the site and start a game with Chrome browser on a PC, you can hit F12 to get the browser tools console to appear. Then click on the "Application" tab and expand "Local Storage". You will then see a key called "_GurkSavedGame". The value of this contains a JSON object which stores your game data such as character magic and hit point maximums and equipment. Incidentally, you can change these values to anything you want if you want to. But if you delete Local Storage in chrome, your save game will be gone. Since Gurk III uses the eburp engine this is likely the case.