Universal Bears vs. Art - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I worked very hard on that, thank you =/

2. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    This game has great production values, but it is a theme that has been beaten to death long, long ago. I really don't see how it will work as a Freemium title, either.

Why can't Halfbrick work on. Jetpack Joyride 2 already?

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I liked the look of it until they introduced the people moving around. I'd prefer a pure logic puzzler. Oh well. Plenty of other things to do.

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    They have seemed to try to add elements to a classic puzzler that often miss the mark. Like the moving people you need to avoid. Or the thirds you need to capture. Some if that feels too dependent on luck rather than solving a puzzle. Especially when it is a time level. I felt I was wildly moving around hoping to get or avoid them.

And someone earlier in the thread mentioned that the prices are being tested for the IAP or aren't final? Well they seem outrageously high to me meaning if someone buys one they are profiting from someone's naïveté.

I dunno the feel of it seems kind of sour - like just desperation to make a buck. 25 dollars to permanently add an extra move for instance. Come on half brick this isn't you.

5. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Can anyone explain why it supports Passbook integration?

6. macaraher926

macaraher926 New Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Is this game ever going to come out or what?

7. extreme472000

extreme472000 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Can anyone confirm if this is still in the canadian app store? I can't find it.

8. extreme472000

extreme472000 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    USA
    #28 extreme472000, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Released by apple in error. Emailed they and they will be fixing this before the proper release date

9. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

This doesn't seem to work properly on a 6+.

10. Aezio26

Aezio26 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Director
    Newark on Trent, England
    Doesn't seem to work at all..black everywhere.

iPad Air 2

11. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    I thought this was never coming to North America. I actually forgot about it.

12. Halfbrick Woody

Apr 20, 2015
    Product Manager & Lead Games Programmer Halfbrick
    Australia
    #32 Halfbrick Woody, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Sorry for the long wait. But it's here, now available for all. Please give as much feedback as you want as I appreciate everyone's input. If you have ideas on how we can make the game better, I would love to hear it.

Thanks for playing!

13. Congrats on the worldwide launch!

14. Halfbrick Woody

Apr 20, 2015
    Australia
    Thank you very much :) We are super excited to see what people think of the game.

15. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
  16. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    #36 Lavender, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Very cute game filled with unique and original qualities. Quality graphics. Controls are an easy swipe or tap of the finger. Runs smooth. The Bears purpose is to destroy all the the art. Bear vs Art is more of a puzzle where you have to figure out the right moves to take in order to avoid obstacles and land in front of art to destroy it. Very clever. The tutorial isn't very clear but the game is easy to figure out. You earn coins as you play that can be used for outfits and upgrades. I really like this but unfortunately, it's another creative game destroyed with timers and in app purchases. Of course you can keep paying and paying to play. I understand that a dev's hard work should earn something, but paying over & over to get rid of timers can get bothersome & excessive. It's too bad, because the game itself is very nice. I would rather pay a premium price for a premium game or in a free game, pay for iap's that are non-consumable. Ie: an iap for getting rid of the timer for unlimited play.

Because the game is 'cutesy' it would work well for adults and kids, but I would not recommend it for kids because the energy timer would become frustrating.

If you don't mind the timers and iap's, it can be quite enjoyable.

EDIT: my apologies. There is actually an iap to purchase a 'VIP access pass' which takes away the timer.
    EDIT (again): when purchasing an upgrade with game earned currency, there are 'upgrade' timers - anywhere from 20 minutes to 6 hours before the upgrade takes affect. This is effective with and without the VIP access pass.

17. Halfbrick Woody

Apr 20, 2015
    Australia
    Hi Lavender

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to put together such a detailed review of the game. There is an IAP which completely removes the need for the timers as you said, which is the same as paying a premium price for the app. It is called the VIP access pass. Hope that helps.

18. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Lavender, you can pay 5,99€ for VIP package which gets rid of the timers and gives you free entry to all levels.

I was looking forward to this game, but the amount of IAPs in this game keeps me on the fence. VIP access sounds fine even though I'm not entirely sure what "free entry to all levels forever" means exactly. If it's the way to unlock all the levels without necessity to play them, it's just wrong. But even after getting rid of the timers, there's still a bunch of IAPs. You can buy coins. You can buy skill points. You can buy hints. So even after paying premium price the game still asks for more money. You don't have to pay, I understand. But it's clearly not designed for the pure enjoyment from progressing and playing through the game in the first place. The game's beautiful, intro is great, music is nice. But the most important part of fun for me is the gameplay which suffers from ever-present IAPs. That being said, I'm gonna pass.

19. Halfbrick Woody

Apr 20, 2015
    Australia
    VIP Access means there is no more waiting for levels, you can play then and there over and over again with no consequence. It doesn't unlock all levels, as you still have to beat a level to progress. We designed this game the same way as Jetpack Joyride where all the IAP is there as a supplement for people who are impatient. We do not do what farmers do where you hit a wall and need to spend money. You can complete the game entirely without any IAP ever if you so choose.

Thanks for the feedback though.

20. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks for clarifying. It's not entirely clear from the description so it's good to know you still need to play through each stage to unlocked another. As I wrote earlier, I do appreciate the possibility to remove energy. On the other hand, there are still timers for suit upgrades, right? Judging from what I've seen so far in the game. Or the VIP access guarantee to get rid of those as well?

I appreciate your confirmation on possibility to finish the game without spending a real money, but it's not my concern. I'm the first one to support the premium games because it's the only way to fight against freemium model. I didn't doubt that it's possible to play your game for free, I'm just saying even if you choose to purchase the VIP access, the game still doesn't feel premium with all those IAPs hanging there all the time. Don't get me wrong, it's not a criticism, it's just how I feel about the game. I've been waiting a long time for it. A year from the first announcement. So try to understand my slight disappointment from what I see right now. I just didn't expect it. I just wish you were moderate with the IAPs in the first place. Even to go for full premium release from the beginning. But I do appreciate your feedback though. It's always a pleasure to see the developer active in his game's thread. It means you care and that's just priceless. Thanks for that! And good luck with your game.