Do you hate it when the trailer graphics look better than the actual game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Aug 18, 2010.

1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I can't stand it. :mad:

2. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    hahaha, entire thread right there. I don't think anyone could appreciate such a thing.

3. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I started this thread after watching this trailer -

The trailer graphics look like something you might see in a Playstation 3 game, but the gameplay graphics themselves look like Super Mario World. For all I know, this might turn out to be one of the best RPGs ever, but the trailer is REALLY overselling it.

4. mlfarrell

mlfarrell Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    san diego, ca
    its generally a bad sign when the trailer shows almost no gameplay. I dl'ed a free rpg once whose intro trailer was bad ass but the game sucked balls. deleted it. I didn't rate though (as a dev I know how much those 1 stars hurt), but sometimes its tempting.

5. slimothy

slimothy Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    ya wtf no gameplay in the vid i hate it when devs do that. oh well, i guess i wont b picking this one up

6. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Yeah, it sux.

1/3 developer logo
    1/3 publisher logo
    1/6 cgi
    1/6 (hopefully) actual gameplay

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Here you go. A chill pill.

8. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    No, I love it :rolleyes:

9. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I HATE it!

Even on TV when they say 'Not actual game-play'. IMO, that makes it worse, as if the game is crap and there's something they're not telling you.

10. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    No. I appreciate the work that goes into animating CG movies and stuff, and it often shows high production values. Games often have their own gameplay trailers anyway.

If you mistake something that's blatently a CG movie for a gameplay one on the other hand, that's entirely your own fault.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I agree, it should be entirely obvious it's not in-engine/in-game graphics. Unless of course they're old images and the game has been changed, but who would buy a game without checking out the newest screens? Not those ultra high res renders either, images in the correct resolution with the GUI visible (if applicable).

12. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    meh

it doesnt really bother me but im really more used to ingame graphic trailers/cut sence like in Halo