Lag / Stutter issues - please help me solve them

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by del, Aug 23, 2010.

1. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Hi guys,

I was asking people about this on the Solopskier thread and found out that I shouldn't be having the lag issues I'm having. My iphone (3GS) has trouble with games like Monorace, Canabalt, and Monster Dash. I get little stutters almost every 30 seconds, which makes these games really unfun to play - I can never stop expecting the next lag. Just annoying.

Can anyone give me some tips as to how to solve this? I've installed the latest system software, I've tried quitting other open apps, and I don't think it's an openfeint issue as some have suggested.

I'd appreciate the help,

Del

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    did you try powering off/back on? sometimes memory or other things arent cleared properly and it can create lag.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Try playing in airplane mode and see if you keep having the same problem. Sounds like there's something regularly sending push notifications to you.

4. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Thanks, man. That must be what was doing it. Now - any tips on how to isolate the culprit app? At the worst, I guess I'll just have to go through them, one by one, and find out which one could be doing it. But anyway - the games are playable now. Thanks for your help!

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Well, email is handled separately, but you should be able to see everything that sends notifications in your settings menu under "Notifications."

Before you go too far, you can make sure that it is a notification by turning them all off (also on this menu). You can turn off email push from the email menu in settings.

Good luck!

6. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    ...if you're still here, Square...

I turned off email push and all notifications and still had the same stuttering. the only thing that works is turning airport to on. Any other ideas (I'm appreciating the tech support, by the way)

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    That's as far as my knowledge goes, I'm afraid.

8. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    that's cool. at least I know I can play those games stutter-free with the internet off. thanks again.