Worth renaming app to reflect no longer tilt controlled?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Moonjump, May 12, 2011.

1. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I launched a Tempest style arcade game in November. I called it TiltStorm to reflect that it was tilt controlled. I got feedback that the game was good, but the tilt control was too tricky. So I added touch controls and made them default.

I've done more updates over time, but stuck with the name TiltStorm. I think that puts off some people who don't like accelerometer controls. Do you think it is worth relaunching the app with a new name that doesn't mention tilt? It was hard enough to get review sites to look at it first time, I imagine it will be harder when it isn't a new app. And that is the other problem, it won't show as new on the App Store.

It won't be a new app as I still want to support the existing players and have them continue to be part of an active Game Center high score table.

2. Don't think that their's an easy answer to this.

X number of people have already bought into the name of the game. How would you notify them that the new name is the same game as the old one? The offset to this is that with improved gameplay, controls you could get a whole host of new customers by rebranding it as a new game.

I think the question for me would be what are my current sales and how much would I stand to lose/gain by changing the name or simply telling people it has improved gameplay. Maybe you could do something that lets people know that it has improved gameplay? Maybe you could keep the name tiltstorm but add something onto the end of it ie Tiltstorm - Auto , tiltstrom touch, Tiltstorm interactive ........ something like that. Then it still provides a link to your previous game.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It is possible to rename the game via an update, I've had at least a dozen apps that changed names w/out affecting the user (i.e. the name just changed with the update.)

What I can list from memory:

Enjoy Soduku -> :) Soduku
    Xenon Music Studio -> Music Studio
    Asteroid BBQ -> Shockwave
    Light Wars -> Geofighter Light Wars

I've played TiltStorm, and... I'm not sure what else I'd name it. :eek: If you do an upade I'd raise the price a tad just before it's out and drop it when the update/name change drops so it'll appear on the lists.

I don't see any apps named SwipeStorm... ;)

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    How about TouchStorm? Sounds kinda similar so fans of the old name hopefully won't mind the change too much.

5. Moonjump

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    If I do this I thought I should keep the current icon to help users know it is the same app, but I think the word tilt is off-putting to too many users as they don't want that style of control. Some link should remain in the name, so considering keeping the Storm part.

6. Moonjump

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    #6 Moonjump, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions. TouchStorm and SwipeStorm are great names, but the tilt option will be remain a some people do like it. am considering paraphrasing Douglas Adams: "The increasingly inaccurately named TiltStorm has become...". So I cannot really use something that does not include all options.

I have a name in mind, but will keep it under wraps for now.

EDIT: I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for how to get the game looked by review sites at on relaunch. First time around came in the pre-Christmas deluge and it only got reviewed by a couple of smaller sites. Not sure that renaming to reflect user control requests is a strong enough reason.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well biggest problem i see is that it looks bland.. even tempest 2k had more action happening on screen than tilt storm..
    it looks and feels unpolished and somewhat slow.. watching an old tempest video i still get that wow felling .. then looking at tiltstorm.. it lacks the storm.. its some like a tender brezze.. it feels boring somehow.. and i doubt a name change will get you much more attention.

8. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Maybe you can update the game to rename it and then contact all the review sites to let them know about your game TouchStorm (or whatever you call them). You don't say it's new (no need to lie) and you don't connect it to TiltStorm unless you're asked directly. Given that review sites (and I'm guessing most customers) ignored the game the first time around, most probably won't make the connection. You won't get in the new releases list, but maybe you'll have a chance to get reviewed... Just an idea.

9. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

so you think reviewers are stupid? and think a name change only will possibly catch the interest of everyone? i highly doubt reviewers take a look at an apps name. playing hide and seek like anyone can't klick on an itunes links and see when the game was released or fire up appannie and see the hole history of the title including namechanges etc.. or klicking on the "other apps" of the dev to see that game X is an exact copy of game Y only the name is changed..
    great advice to hide/obscure such informations, that will definatly help.

10. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Maybe you should consider releasing the same game twice with two names. The only difference being the default control setting.

11. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    ouch.. very fortunate for the appstore.. so instead of 3-4 control options in game X we get 4 version on the store each with the default control in the games name.. o_O thats a weird suggestion..

i doubt the name of the game is the problem.

12. Moonjump

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I notice mr.Ugly that you have repeatedly said bad things about my game across multiple threads. Have I done something to upset you?

13. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    really? across multiple threads? i did not track that.. and np i'm not upset not was it my intention to upset you.

from my pov you need to invest alot more work and polish into your game to make it more appealing. changing the name won't do you any good imho.
    if you really believe you should get more attention with your game, polish it more. and with more a complete audio visual rehaul may be desireable.

you might not share my view but thats ok, its your product and finaly your descision what you do with it. no hard feelings at all. people tend to interpret to much into writing.. to much people try to read between the lines where there is nothing to read..

maybe we can agree to disagree on some points and thats fine with me :)
    would be boring is everyone shares the same opinion ;D

my intention with most of the stuff i write here is to try to help the one or the other to improve their product by offering my point of view..

alot take this personal at the slightest hint of "bad" comments. maybe the difference between an amateur and an pro who usualy can quite differ between his work and his person.. so no ill will intended.. i somehow also can't see where this should be..

good luck with your game :)

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You just need to know that mr.Ugly really isn't afraid to be honest about what he sees. If he thinks a game is lacking he'll tell you straight out without trying to soften the blow at all. It can come across as a little offensive sometimes but it's actually quite useful to have someone that will be totally open with you.

15. Moonjump

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I'm glad it was only accidental and I haven't upset you. I learnt to grow a thick skin after the first game I ever worked on, even though it was a number 1. It wasn't so much that there were bad comments, it was a concern that there may be some reason behind them being repeated.

Yes, TiltStorm isn't going to set the world alight, but I was wondering if a name change would at least boost income so that money isn't so tight until the next game comes out. Almost all the negative feedback was about people not liking tilt controls, so having that in the name is one factor in the lack of sales.

My background is as a games designer. I learnt a lot of new skills so that I could make games on my own, and that probably shows in my first solo game. I am able to do more with the new game, plus someone has agreed to do the music, which is the weakest area.

Having said that, I have been using the studio.HD app by Sound Trends and I am amazed at how much better I can make music with that. This new music would be one of the changes I make along with the name change, if I decide it is worth putting the work into that rather than getting on with the new game.

Thank you for the good wishes.

I understand mr.Ugly isn't afraid to say what he thinks. I didn't know if it was deliberate that he had said similar things about TiltStorm several times because of a grudge, or because it was accidental. Asking has cleared that up.

16. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I noticed Tiltstorm when it was first released, initially because of the similarity in name to Tilestorm (a game a friend of mine made using the ground Effect library) but never got beyond looking at the video. Yesterday I downloaded and played it and have to say, beyond initial slight confusion at the control dial (I didn't know what the hell was going on until the second game) it's actually pretty good. Smooth, fast, colourful, nice progressive difficulty and definitely way better than 99% of the stuff on the store.

Not quite 'hidden gem of the app store' quality but getting there and should certainly have sold a hell of a lot better than it has (IMHO).

When I suggested two titles it was kind of a joke but now I'm wondering what harm it could do and if it might even be a good idea, if only for the double exposure that makes sense when the original title was so tied to the controls.

17. Moonjump

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    Thank you for the comments GlennX. I think that has made my mind up to spend some time on an update.

I've taken on board your comment about the controls. I'll think of something to explain them to the first-time user.

The double app idea is good, but has too much potential for customer confusion. and it would double up on app maintenance.

18. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    On the subject of the controls, I'm a big fan of tilt for the right game and think those who refuse to play tilt controlled games are missing out on the only iPhone games that don't require 20%+ of the screen to be covered in thumb...

I think both of your control methods are great but have the potential to be confusing.

When I tried the tilt I found myself rotating the entire device (which didn't work very well for obvious reasons) before noticing that it's actually a very well implemented 45-degrees-is-flat scheme as used by Tilt to Live and many other great tilt games. The problem is, I'm a fan of that type of control and even I didn't think to try it at first. You should take a look at how Tilt To Live presents control options if you haven't already.

Similarly, the dial in the corner is possibly the perfect way to implement touch controls in your game but maybe that isn't the point if everyone is expecting swipes to steer. Maybe you should add swipes or rotate-to-angle-tapped as an option. You should at least make it so the touch controls only work on the dial so people don't mistake it for badly done swipes and stop playing after ten seconds.

You have to remember, you have a lot of people's attention for just a few seconds, you don't want them to feel confused for any of it. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about having written a game where I can see the evidence of confused players right there in the stats from Openfeint. I will not be making the same mistake twice...

19. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well you might also run into the problem that apple might reject another version if the difference is just the name, there is a fine but distintice line between two version of a game for iphone/ipad than two version for iphone with the only difference the name..

if you really want to go ahead and rename.. why not take the experience you gathered so faar and make it part tiltstorm 2 or however you want to call it then..

you already have your current customers as a partial fanbase and can crosspromote your new game with them.

rather than confusing potential customers make it clear its the successor to tiltstorm and try to improve as much points as possible.

as for the general quality of the game. it surely is not junk, like most of the stuff that gets daily added to the store, but i would not say its belongs into the 1% of worthwhile apps.. that would put it somewhere into the top 2000-3000 games.. i assume that a bit unlikely.. but this does not mean there is no room for improvement.. there is alot and with a solid base going from there can't be something wrong.. if moonjump wants to make a successor.

20. Moonjump

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I tried limiting to touches to the actual dial, but a finger can slide off the control at a critical moment as you are not looking at your finger (the reason I generally dislike virtual controls and went the accelerometer based route).

Using the best method for the game instead of something absolutely standard can cause misunderstandings. I will look at Tilt to Live. I already have it, but it is a while since I played it. My current thought is to explain it at the beginning of the first game using a control method, and again after looking at the instructions.

mr.Ugly. I am going to do some fine tuning, polish and a rename to unlock some of the potential of the game. I hope to do a sequel at some point, but I have my current game to finish, and a commitment to do another (a publisher is releasing a board game of mine, I am doing an iOS version to coincide with the release), so it may be some time.