Fractal Combat -- by oyatsukai

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TheCrib, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCrib

TheCrib Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi everyone!

Time has come to show our next upcoming title..

Official site: http://oyatsukai.com/fractal-combat

It's an arcade flight combat game.
    It requires at least an iPhone 3GS and it's an universal app. So, it supports Retina as well as iPad/iPad 2 screen resolutions.

The game features 7 worlds, 6 ships as well different types of missiles, generators and radars, which are more like upgrades.
    Ships and items are progressively unlocked and can be bought with the credits earned in the missions.

Here is a preliminary list of features:
    • Fast-paced futuristic arcade flight combat
    • 6 different vehicles
    • 2 flight models: partial vector thrusters or magnetic rotors
    • 7 unique and stunning fractal worlds
    • 70 missions to complete
    • A varying range of weapons, radars and generators
    • Game Center’s Leaderboards and Achievements
    • Intuitive touch and accelerometer controls

Aside from the market/garage portion, the game is very much arcade and it aims to be a mindless missile shooter with high-endish 3D mobile graphics.

Have fun !
    Davide

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Ok, I'm just going to ignore the obvious
    Ace Combat
    influences and HUD and say: INSTA BUY!!! Looks like this is much more fast paced than Ace Combat!!!

A few questions: are the missiles limited in numbers? I can't see a missile counter anywhere... Any non-missile weapons? Price? IAP? ETA on release???????
    CAN'T WAIT TO BUY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Calms down...

3. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    Great ! ..we already have a customer j/k 8)

I should have said a little more:

- There are only missiles. They are fire-and forget, but timing of launch makes a difference.

- Missiles are unlimited. Also because one has to use a lot of them!

- There is a shield that one should replenish (see the "Energy" augmentation on the HUD).

Given the amount of missiles flying around, I guess that the game play is somewhat closer to After Burner II than Ace Combat.

First missions aren't as busy, but they get progressively more intense and fast-paced.

Quite a bit of effort went into the HUD... we tried to make it as believable as possible by looking at real jet fighter's HUDs.
    There is some custom vector font rendering that hopefully makes it all look more realistic.

We plan to release this at the beginning of August and for $1.99.

Thanks for the feedback !
    Davide

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Like gunxsword already said: INSTABUY!!!! Looks better than MetalStorm!

5. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    WHOOHOO!!!!!! Em one question though... back when I was playing AC on PSP I put up unlimited missile + no/instant missile reload time (DON'T JUDGE ME! I finished the whole game without hacks on ace beforehand...) and encountered some crashes because there was just too damn many missiles on the screen... Will there be a missile limit? I'm guessing there's slight missile reload times in this game right?

Yup, I played that on PSP as well... And yeah that comparison would be better :D

:eek: You should check out screenshots of Ace Combat PSP/app store's HUD... seriously... they look EXACTLY the same as this game's... Coincidence? :confused:

TIME TRAVELLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great price too! (not dirt cheap or expensive!)

Oh and you don't usually see me using this many caps... I'm a bit euphoric that's all... :p

6. MmAaXx

MmAaXx Member

Jul 20, 2011
    #6 MmAaXx, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    maybe beacause both games using the real F16 interface ;)

7. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    ehehe.. well.. one has to wait for the missile to lock. But multiple targets can be locked and shoot at the same time.

When a missile is travelling towards a target, that target can't be shot again.
    So, it's better to launch a missile when a target is more likely to be hit.

I think that we simply took from the same source.
    Here are a couple of videos about the HUD found in an F-16's cockpit.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCBfAPO52t0
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHx-OWdHqf8

HUDs for other airplanes are quite similar too.

Thanks ! I really hope you'll like it.. it's definitely not as complex as Ace Combat, but we tried to make it as fun and as good looking as possible given our limited resources 8)

8. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    This HUD, that HUD, it's a good HUD and it's proven to work :D

Oh and now for some more serious questions:
    1. Methods of controls? What options will we have? (accelero/tilt, touch? Virtual joystick?)
    2. Type of controls? Eg. sim orientated - roll and rudder. Arcade - no roll.
    3. I see there are some customization options... are they unlocked by progress or in-game currency? If in-game currency, can missions be repeated for more of what ever currency that is used? (I don't like it when games only give out a set amount of currency/points for missions and more have to be obtained by performing better).
    4. What does the 'eject' button do? (other than ejecting the player...)

Last words (for this post): I will be lying if I didn't like the title screen and missile launch sound effects... It just doesn't sound like launching missiles at all...

9. TravisR2H

TravisR2H Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Icade could use a good arcade shooter. Any chance you can add icade support.

10. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    ahah.. right on !! d(^o^)b

11. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    I don't have experience with iCade, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't work so well for this game.
    FC really needs analog controls to move. Especially when using the helicopter-like vehicle.

It's arcade in the game play, but the controls aren't "digital".

12. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    Let me answer point to point..

1) Default controls are with the accelerometer but there is an optional virtual-stick. There are 3 sensitivity levels to choose from, and controls positions can be swapped left/right.

2) The flight model is quite unique. There are no barrel rolls and no loops. Think more of an helicopter.
    There are VFX ships, and those are a bit more like a plane. They fly forward but don't rely so much on forward momentum to keep their orientation. It's a bit like a thrust vectoring jet. But unlike any other game (for better or for worse 8)
    The HEL ships instead are much more an helicopter. Thrust pushes up and one has to bend the ship forward to make it go forward.
    VFX are much simpler and most people find the controls to be natural.

3) Worlds and classes of items are unlocked by progress.
    The total score is the sum of the score of all the missions, and there is only one maximum score per mission.
    However, the credits needed to purchase items can be earned by playing the same mission many times.. so there is freedom in that.

4) The Eject button actually pauses the game and brings the a menu that allows to change options (controls, volume, etc.) on the fly or abort the mission.

About the missiles' sound.. you're the second person that says that.. so, I guess that we should try to get a better sound for them.
    However right now we're rushing to complete a few other things (localization, optimizations, etc.) ..so, we may not be able to look into that for the first release.

Thanks for the questions ! 8)

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    The sim like HUD kinda clashes with the "arcadey" tag. Otherwise looks great.

14. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    ..I like to think that it's a mix.
    I personally really like airplanes and I wanted to give the game a touch of realism.
    Hopefully it will work out 8)

15. TheCrib

Aug 11, 2010
    Programmer
    Tokyo, Japan
    #15 TheCrib, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011