OnLive demonstration: Crysis, Burnout Paradise running on the Phone.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kartel, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    #1 Kartel, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    http://tv.seas.columbia.edu/videos/545/60/79?file=1&autostart=true

2. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Oh. My. Gosh. This. is. EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who else, here, is excited?

I know I am.

3. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    However, he kept saying the same thing over and over. I almost fell asleep. Wished I could've skipped to the iPhone part. Still cool though.

4. Grx

Grx Active Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Really want to see this, but it just won't load. Can someone please upload it to YouTube or similiar website? Would really appreciate it.

5. iPodtouchfancarjacks

iPodtouchfancarjacks Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    north carliona
    yea please

6. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    it takes 1hour25minutes to download. Let me try )

7. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    48 mins in.

I'll try to send it to youtube, just not sure how to grab the video. I'll try an extension in Firefox and see.

8. Bramsey89

Bramsey89 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    If this works, it will single-handedly kill Nvidia, Ati, and most computer manufacturers.

9. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    #9 Bdragonst, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    this suks for people living in Montana hahaha

anyway you cant upload 48 min video on youtube unless you split videos into like 9-10 min parts or you subscribe your account into producer or something

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not to mention the PS3 and XBox 360, especially if subscription rates are less than $20/month. I've been following this technology for a while, and as excited as I am about it, I'm still a bit skeptical that it's actually possible in a live environment (with millions of people online). Perhaps the console makers have nothing to worry about, but I'm sure they're at least a little anxious about it.

11. Grx

Grx Active Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Upload just the most important part - the gameplay. ;)

12. wttwoa

wttwoa Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    i wonder what the computer requirements will be on the games. id be intrested in getting it for the tv and comp, but i dont know if my internet connection will let me, speedtest here i come. and i hope this will be able to work on the idevices, all of them

13. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    So when the creator of Onlive was asked about bandwidth caps, he seemed very uncomfortable answering the question. He said they they talked to all the major ISPS and the average gamer plays about 40 hours a month. Then he said that if you consume the monthly bandwith cap for your area you could always just upgrade to the next tier. Onlive is a cool idea but it eats too much bandwidth.

14. wttwoa

wttwoa Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    #15 wttwoa, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    so it will basically only be for people with high or no bandwidth cap? and here the vid from the full press conference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdecNDDr9g

15. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    No it's trying to be targeted as a cost effective solution for everyone who plays video games (without having to worry about hardware) with any type of high speed internet that's DSL or faster. Since the tech has been in development for over 7 years and the creators didn't anticipate a bandwidth cap happening on all the major ISP's.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think you're missing the point. If you play so much that you actually burn through the typical bandwidth cap, there's a good chance that you're currently spending $100+ on PC/console games. With a fairly low monthly fee, and perhaps and extra $20 for higher bandwidth, you're still coming out way ahead with Onlive.

I think this will all come down to pricing schemes. If they charge a monthly fee for unlimited gaming (and the technology delivers as promise), Onlive will quite simply dominate the marketplace, at least among hardcore gamers. If the publishers demand per-game charges (combined with a monthly charge), then it's a more level playing field. I wouldn't be surprised if they will do a combination of both schemes, with most games available for a flat fee and new/premium games involving additional charges.

Considering the incredible incentives for game developers and publishers to jump on board, as well as the inherent advantages to gamers, I would be very surprised if this system doesn't take off -- if it actually works.

17. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I'm watching the video now and I groaned at the part where the demonstrater said Activision didn't sign up to have a publishing deal with Onlive. They're the biggest gaming publisher right now (and not very well liked because of the things the CEO has said) and I've noticed how they don't have many sales on their games (no Steam deals, Call of duty Zombies is one of the very few 10 dollar apps right now). My guess is that they are going to try to do something crazy and make their own video-game console so they can try to make even more money.

18. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Onlive said they would have a subscription model but i'm curious to see how that's going to work. My guess is that everyone will still have to pay full price for day one titles though. There's no way publishers will agree with having all their games playable through one service with a small monthly subscription plan. They have to make sure retailers get a good amount sales too.

19. wttwoa

wttwoa Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    they will probably add cost per game mainly because on the press conference ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdecNDDr9g ) at 11:35 it has a demo button and a buy/rent. hopefully they'll not charge alot or add subscription fees and you can play games all you want. and on prince of persia menu it has a 5 day rental and buy button and it charges the credit card automatically