Cognitile - by Express Media

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by EXM-Matt, Nov 9, 2012.

1. EXM-Matt

EXM-Matt Member

Nov 9, 2012
    #1 EXM-Matt, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

Cognitile is a new twist on the maze/puzzle genre. Draw a path to the goal on your touch screen, but be careful since what could be a safe grid tile on one move might be a deadly trap on the next!

Numerous hazards are present in Cognitile levels including crumbling tiles, fire or poison traps, snakes and falling boulders. The game's core mechanic involves a "move counter", where passing from one tile to another is considered 1 move. Each hazard is designed to trigger at various stages of the move counter, and may reset itself to a safe tile a few moves later. At the beginning of each level before they can draw the path, the player is shown the exact sequence of hazards. Once the preview is complete, the tiles reset and the objective of the game is to plan a safe route from the start to the goal from memory.

Features:
    • Challenge yourself by playing through the 60 official levels with scaling difficulty
    • Custom level builder allows a limitless amount of content to be easily shared and downloaded from within the app. Build levels with the same tools our developers used to build official levels, and outdo us!
    • Over 50 unique tile designs and 40 doodads are available in the game's 11x7 grid.
    • Original soundtrack by BeatScribe
    • Cognitile is a universal app.

Release Date: December 18th, 2012
    Cost: $0.99

2. EXM-Matt

EXM-Matt Member

Nov 9, 2012
    #2 EXM-Matt, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    We're wrapping up development (currently in QA iterations), things are looking good for a mid to late December release. I've added promo screenshots in the first post and will be adding a trailer at some point this week.

3. EXM-Matt

EXM-Matt Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Trailer & release date added!

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    #4 bramblett05, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    Played 5 levels and its really fun like the look of the game plus you can make your own level. Alot more changelling also if you skip cog view. Great game express.

Thanks for the code I forgot to mention that lol. Touch 4g user know that it runs great on it.

5. background

background Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Auditor
    Thanks for the promotion code, just tried the game, it is well designed. Different from other maze games, it needs you to focus your memory to clear the traps, i will keep on playing.

6. enelya

enelya Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Thank you for the promotion code. I've tried the game and played about the first 15 levels with an iPhone 4S and it runs beautifully. The game design is well achieved and the premise refreshing from the mainstream memory games. I'm enjoying it very much.
    What could be improved: tutorial, we mainly have to figure out by ourselves which tiles the explorer can move on (one level confused me, looked like the outer tiles were a wall, but explorer could use them), or how to redraw a path we didn't do correctly at the first time. Boulders falling are also easy to miss, I died more times from them than other hazards.

7. EXM-Matt

EXM-Matt Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, we intended the first 5 levels to introduce you to each type of hazard, but the QA also identified the "baptism under fire" could be a bit too open-ended and confusing at first. We'll look at adding some well placed text bubble tutorial tips in the first few levels for an update.

Boulders are tricky since at first we intended all the hazards to essentially be equal, but when we first implemented it, it didn't have the shadow and was MUCH harder to see. This was a problem, but it also added an interesting dynamic that I kind of like, the subtle nature of it makes it more difficult to notice unless you're paying close attention. I think we can maybe darken the shadow some more though.

8. nerdherd

nerdherd Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    I am not good at review game.
    But this game you deserve to have!

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Played the early release build a bit and enjoyed it. This is a very polished line drawing memory game. I'm excited to see a level editor that will greatly enhance replay. The puzzle dynamics are straight forward and accessible so worth a try to anyone.

10. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    coming tomorrow?... looks interesting- will have to wait on the reviews or 1st impressions

11. EXM-Matt

EXM-Matt Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Yep, it's already started releasing actually, scheduled for midnight 12/18 in whatever your local timezone is.

12. Got a code. Thanks. This line drawing game tests your memory and ability to time obstacles.

You should add levels numbers so I can tell have far along I am into the game. Last level cleared so far is Fallen King's Retreat.

Also where there are more than one solution, there is no bonus to use the shortest route/time.

Lastly I would like to one tap advance to the next level without going back to the the main menu.

It is good. Not addictive to me. Maybe the difficult is too easy? IDK.

13. EXM-Matt

EXM-Matt Member

Nov 9, 2012
    I appreciate the feedback. I agree with the level numbers, a UI update coming along will revamp the level selection to look something like this: http://cognitile.com/official with side swiping.

As far as difficulty is concerned, you're on level 16 / 60. The difficulty starts to really ramp up on the 2nd half.

Thanks for trying it out.

14. EXM-Matt

EXM-Matt Member

Nov 9, 2012
  15. BeatScribe

BeatScribe Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    This is a game I was very proud to be involved with. It turned out amazing and the level designing was TONS of fun. I hope it blows up as big as it deserves to! :D

16. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    cool pic