Universal The Walking Dead (+ 400 Days DLC) by Telltale Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 25, 2012.

1. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    As of right now in the US store on the left side it says it's "compatible with iphone, ipod touch, and ipad. Requires IOS 4.2 or later."
    Then in the description, it says "NOTE: Compatible with ipad2 and up, and iphone4 and up-WILL NOT RUN ON EARLIER DEVICES,"
    That's word for word. So they haven't taken the ipod touch down at all here.
    I'd say based on that everyone should have no problem getting their money back one way or another.
    However, I'd much rather have them say soon a fix is on the way and just hold tight. Seems people really want this and even those who didn'y buy it want to get it (like me!) Fix it and be done with it, Telltale!!

2. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I agree with you wholeheartedly there. While it's weird that the game will not run in every iPod Touch (fortunately, I didn't have that problem), I'd say it's more likely that Telltale will make it fully universal in a later update than remove the iPod Touch possibility wholesale.

3. WAV 80

WAV 80 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It doesn't let me save Carley, but lets me save Doug. Anyone having the same problem?

4. Caipa

Caipa Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Amazing game! Even with all the hype I was still surprised and impressed. Can't wait for the rest of the episodes and already bought the season pass.

5. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I can only speak as it relates to the TV series as I have only recently purchased the comic book's entire current run up to issue 100 on my iPad, and have just started reading it.

To answer your question: It doesn't. However, it does offer a cool sense of foreboding and additional background for those who are familiar with the last two seasons of the TV series.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Not the best possible performance for iPod. Good game though, a little scary even :p

7. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Thanks.

8. Sekelani

Sekelani Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Pizza maker, crust
    Australia
    Any due date?

9. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
  10. chapel07

chapel07 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    want to really enjoy this game? play this on the ipod touch 4g, the suspense plus the lag would really contribute to the atmosphere of the game..hell, before you even know it, the lag appears at the very crucial decision making..and sometimes you'll just see yourself bitten..

11. DeadGuy427

DeadGuy427 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    US Army Infantry
    Lacey, WA
    The game definitely has some tie ins with the comic series... In this first episode you meet up with Glenn and Hershel on his farm, and see what they were both doing before Rick and the group from the comics/show get together.

12. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    While I didn't have any problems in that particular situation (managed to save Carley at my first try) I've had a couple of situations in which the choice I selected wasn't validated. Maybe try again and see if it works.

13. theakira

theakira New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Does the game hitch on the iPad like the Jurassic Park game did?

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yes. Airplane mode and safe mode (if jailbroken) helps though.

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Telltale tells stories, but obviously doesn't know how to optimize games. This runs poorly even in PCs and consoles. Ugh. Other than the performance this is a near perfect game.

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I know right :( Voices and animations don't match at all

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Last Telltale game that ran well on my iPod was Puzzle Agent. Oh what a classic it is btw. One of my all time favorite iOS games.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Picked this up last week but didn't get to it until today. Just drained the battery of my iPhone 4S playing thorough most of the episode in one shot. In the lag-meter, the game is somewhere between Law and Order (no lag at all) and Jurassic Park (sound glitches, but okay performance). Generally I has no issues with performance, but I did use System Activity Monitor to clear out my RAM before starting. As far as gameplay is concerned, The Walking Dead is a huge step forward for TellTale, if only because choices matter. I find it interesting that making failing at a task (and getting yourself killed) feels much less consequential than saying the wrong thing or saving the "wrong" person. The level of interactivity is pretty much perfect for me, and even though you are clearly guided through the experience I didn't feel like I was just playing through the story but actually participating in it. The puzzles are not very difficult, but the moral choices you have to make can be excruciating. I have to confess that
    I chose to save Doug instead of Carly because she knew my secret and wasn't sure I could trust her.
    It was a crappy move and I kind of feel terrible about it (even though we're talking fiction and pixels here).

As someone who measures the quality of a game based on whether it reaches it and make me feel "something," I am thoroughly impressed. It says something that I'm not just looking forward to the next episode but actually want play again and see what changes if I behave differently. Can't speak about how it compares to the PC version, but I general I much prefer a touch interface with traditional adventure games, and the controls here feel well integrated and effective.

I'm sure this ground has been covered by many already, but I thought I'd add my two cents here.

19. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

No. This game runs way better than Jurassic Park did. There are still a few minor hiccups here n there but nothing that'll spoil the experience.

20. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Will episode 2 and 3 hit around basically the same time? From browsing their site it seems like it. If so, I'll definitely just buy the season pass then.