What is the best program for creating art/sprites for games??

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by tsarep, Jun 23, 2010.

1. tsarep

tsarep Active Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I hope I am doing this right but...

Me and my cousin would like to start developing a game but do not where to get a program. It is best if this is free... ;). Thanks in advance.

2. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #2 spacecowgoesmoo, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    I use GIMP (Freeware Photoshop Clone) for just about everything, and Pixen every so often for pixel art. Pixen is buggy and tends to crash a lot in my experience, but it has some great unique features and safely auto-saves after every crash so it's just an inconvenience. Inkscape is also very good, I used it alongside with GIMP for the upgraded graphics in Gomi HD. All of this is freeware, of course.

The biggest issue IMO is GIMP vs. Photoshop, but I've used both and have only come across one small thing that GIMP couldn't do. If you do have experience in Photoshop but are strapped for cash, try GIMP for a while, but change all the keyboard shortcuts to the Photoshop standards and you might be surprised how well it works.

After changing the Keyboard shortcuts, be sure to close GIMP properly through it's own window, not by quitting X11. Otherwise the shortcut changes won't be saved.

Also for GIMP, you'll want to change an internal setting of X11 so that the mouse cursor will auto-focus on different windows without an extra click every time (You'll see what I mean, it's kinda hard to put into words). Google for a OSX Preference Pane called "Secrets", and flip the "Focus Follows Mouse" setting in the X11 section to ON.

3. StevePerks

StevePerks Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I use Inkscape. It's a totally free vector based graphics package available for both the Mac and PC.

It can be a bit buggy (crashing) sometimes so be sure to save your work regularly and like any software of this type requires a learning curve, but it really is an excellent package. I generally create the vector art in Inkscape and export it to PNG files of the required size.

More info at http://www.inkscape.org

4. tsarep

tsarep Active Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Both those programs look great. I will be sure to try them out.

5. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Yes, both Gimp and Inkscape work great, except support for OSX can be sketchy. When I tried Gimp a couple months ago on OS X, I couldn't even get it to run. Inkscape works fine, but I was having issues importing my CDR (CorelDRAW) files.

If you are using Windows, the above programs work without any major problems. OS X support has always been hit and miss.

6. tsarep

tsarep Active Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Flickitty, are their any programs that run better on OSX. If not we can try on his PC. We haven't really started yet? This is all just for future reference.

One more question. How did you guys start developing. Web based games, or straight to iOS.

7. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I bought a wacom and the included software is amazing, but I already have Adobe CS4...

But I use GIMP and Paint.NET for my quick quick QUICK sketches

8. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Flickitty, did you install X11 off of your OSX install DVD before running GIMP? It's some kind of programming language thing that's required for running GIMP and is sometimes not included on the default OSX install. Without it GIMP will not be able to run, kinda similar to what you described.

9. DarkeMage

DarkeMage Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    High School
    Sydney, Australia!!!
    I ain't a developer/ graphics designer, but I do it for fun, and I use GIMP, so I recommend that. It's a neat program and it's free.

10. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    I know that they are not free, but but I use Adobe Photoshop + Fireworks. They are great tools. I've tried GIMP and Inkscape and other open source stuff and to me they just don't cut it.

My recommendation is use what you can afford for now, even if free, but as soon as you can afford it, invest in some good tools. They will make your job much easier.

I've been a independent pro developer for over a dozen years and I've learned that you can spend your time much more productively than fighting with your tools.

P.S. Photoshop Elements is <$100 and works more than acceptably for bitmap stuff.

Share and enjoy,

11. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Hello,

It depends on which type of 2D you want to produce :
    - cartoon-like sprites : Illustrator (vector based)
    - realistic/stylish handmade sprites : Photoshop/Gimp (pixel based)

Why :
    - cartoon : as you search to work with flattened colors delimited by distinct zones, you will never have a better control on it than with vectors. Vectors let you control absolutely every single curve point you want, to a nearly infinite precision.

Here is some artwork compilation I made for my current game, with Illustrator :

[​IMG]

- realistic/stylish handmade sprites : All power to your fingers. As a real drawing style speaks easily with your own hand, not your mouse, it's better to use a pen tablet. Mouse interface would be way too clunky in a direct handdraw. You pen tablet unleashes tons of awesome painting styles, like the size of your brush, its pressure, its graphic style, etc. It lets you produce tons of different layerwork in no time.

Well this one is not so realistic, but the shadow treatment could hardly have been done with Illustrator in the same working time :

[​IMG]

You can even use both supports, which is handful for 3D textures : Vector for the base pattern, and tablet for the shadows/style details.

This is what I used for my chars, and it came really handy, making the textures far more precise :

[​IMG]

Now the price can be a choice breaker :
    - Vectors : all you need is Illustrator (no other free software had equal power), which is ~1000$/850€
    - Pixels : you will need a good pen tablet, with a good pen sensitivity. Lower (acceptable) models start at 400$/300€, higher models (LCD screen, which can't be beaten for precision imho) are about 1500$/1200€ to 2000$/1800€. But here you can use a free pixel editor instead of photoshop.

Personally, I didn't hesitated to purchase those licenses + a LCD pen tablet, and I don't regret it at all. It's quite an investment I agree, but trust me the wonderful things you can do with this stuff is far more valuable than the price.

So in the end, for the same price, you can access the 2 techniques. Your choice.

12. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    *ahem*

Tools don't matter. If you are blaming tools, then you have no true skill nor talent. There, I said it. Deal with it.

13. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Flickitty, I have to disagree with you. It is true that tools will not make an artist out of someone who isn't one. However, if you have to search for 10 minutes to find a particular feature because you're dealing with a wacky user interface, then you lose time and Time = Money.

Like I said, I've been building software for a long time, since before 1980. I've programmed every type of system from mainframes accessed through a teletype, to TRS-80, Atari, Apple II, Mac, iPhone, MS-DOS, umpteen versions of Windows. I've programmed in Assembly Language, Objective-C, ActionScript, countless flavors of BASIC, .NET, SQL...let's just say that I've used a LOT of tools over the years.

The concept of tools differs little whether you're a carpenter, artist, or programmer. Tools make a difference. No they don't make you a better programmer or a better artist or a better carpenter. But good tools DO make you more PRODUCTIVE, and it is worth the money to get good tools.

- EOM -

14. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    You are talking about preferences and productivity, which are completely different than skill and talent. All productivity has given us in regard to software, is bloat and unnecessary complexity. Productivity isn't 'better', it just ****s up your schedule, leading to more and more problems in the cycle.

15. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Who said anything about skill and talent? I agree with Blue Ox. The right tool for the right job can make a world of difference.

People can find one tool clumsier to use than another. I use Photoshop and have for years. I used Gimp for awhile when I did some contract work at Google and I could not stand it. Granted, I'm used to Photoshop, but to me the arrangement of tools in Gimp makes little sense to me. Some of the simplest tasks take far too much effort to accomplish.

If I had to use Gimp to make games it would drive me nuts. However, if I could not afford anything else and had no other choice I would certainly use Gimp, or something similar.

A poor tool can hinder talent. A good one can make it easier to bring out. A lot of it comes down to personal preference.

16. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

I agree.

Huh?

17. SpaceHunter

SpaceHunter Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Try Pixelmator!

There's something about tools created on a Mac for a Mac :) Although Photoshop is the standard, I can't stand the look/feel and bloat that comes from Adobe :D Not to mention the price!!

18. oleksandr

oleksandr New Member

Jul 14, 2014
    #18 oleksandr, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    From my experience as a game art designer I would suggest to use 2 different programs:

first program to draw separate textures. I would suggest to draw it in vector - it's much easier.

second program you will need to create animation of your textures and to render a sprite sheet. I use Anatomy Sprite Animator tool at http://spritetools.com.

There are also good animation tutorials on the same website.

good luck!

19. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    In Photoshop, one must use the pencil tool and a proper subdivision of the grid.
    Since selections in this software tend to "jump" to the next pixel (hard to explain but it's the snapping thing), you need to subdivize below the pixel level (slice your pixels in halves).

For example:

- Gridline every: 2 pixels
    - Subdivisions: 4