iPhone Magic 2013

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Is there any news of this coming to iPhone anytime? This would be so amazing on a iPhone readily available for on the go play. Particularly on the iPhone 5 with that little bit extra screen size. Other games have been dubbed impossible to port to iPhone and then 6 months later there it is (ACR for one).
    Any news?

2. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    #1262 tabs, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    The game itself, in my opinion, is pretty hard to play on the iPad already. Text is not readable, almost, so you need to do a lot of zooming (if you are not familiar with the cards). Another thing, Imagine 50 tokens on the iPad? Packed! What more with the iPhone.

Seeing that they will be coming out with one more DLC this January (estimate), and the lack of content even on the DLCs, I highly doubt they will make an iPhone version. No official news whatsoever, but base on the timeline, Magic 2014 should come out mid 2013. Again, another reason why it is highly unlikely that they will make an iPhone version.

3. Damian83

Damian83 Member

Nov 22, 2011
    10 free foil cards for every deck!

1 - FNMDGP
    2 - KWPMZW
    3 - MWTMJP
    4 - WMKFGC
    5 - NCTFJN
    6 - GDZDJC
    7 - HTRNPW
    8 - FXGJDW
    9 - PCNKGR
    10 - GPCRSX

4. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    These are promo foil cards which makes the decks from 30/30 to 40/40. DLC are not included by the way.

5. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    #1265 Brrobotix, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks for the promo codes! So I'm relatively new to magic, but once I learned the rules I started playing on the medium difficulty. What are your favorite decks/strategies? Are the expansion packs worth it? I bought the story expansion with five decks and new story levels, but I'm not sure if I should get the other two packs of new decks. Also I know you guys liked the goblin gang deck, but I can't seem to use it well. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for all the help!

Also, if someone could post an overview of the strategies and usefulness of all the decks, that would be great (for example dream puppets strategy is to drain the opponents deck)

6. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    The expansion is worth it, but the DLCs, not so much. The last DLC will come out January 10ish if I am not mistaken. Due to the 'issues' with shuffling, I tend to rely on mono decks. My favorites are Obedient Dead (very well rounded), as well as Peacekeeper.

Tip for beginners? Learn the rules, practice it, and get the feel of various tricks like last in first out. Be patient, use removals well, put early pressure, hold of early attacks, gain life if possible, drop bombs, control the game, too many. Heh.

7. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    This is a rundown of the original ten decks...

Celestial Light
    The deck's theme is lifegain, but unfortunately lifegain is one of the weakest mechanics in Magic. The deck hints that you should play a controlling deck, with cards like Chastise to stay alive and a big White Sun's Zenith for the win, but without any good card drawing mechanics it's just not reliable enough as a control deck. I avoid using this deck, but my build is very aggressive, playing it as a creature rush deck and hoping to smash face with a big Ajani's Pridemate or Serra Ascendant.

Chandra's Fury
    This is the burn deck - fire and destruction all the way. Most people play this as a controlling deck, taking all the Flamebreaks and Earthquakes and trying to kill more than one opposing creature at once, to gain an advantage. I play a more balanced version that uses removal to clear the way for my creatures, then drives a ton of damage in with a Firebreather (something that has R: +1/+0, like Fiery Hellhound)

Pack Instinct
    Size matters. Pack Instinct is all about big big creatures, and hoping that simply being the biggest is going to win the game for you. Usually it doesn't, though, and Pack Instinct doesn't have Plan B. Garruk is a bad matchup for some decks (like Chandra) that use damage spells as removal because the guys are too big to burn, but most decks don't care about how big the creature is.

Dream Puppets
    Out of the box, Dream Puppets is hands-down the worst deck in the game. Every other deck is 100% committed to a way of winning (reducing your lifetotal to 0) but Dream Puppets is 50/50 split between dealing damage and removing cards from the library. It's very hard to win the first ten games with this deck, but the more you win the more you can focus on one mode of victory and the easier it is to win the next game. The fully-unlocked Dream Puppets deck is EXTREMELY powerful.

The version I play:

2 Hedron Crab
    4 Jace's Phantasm
    2 Aether Adept
    3 Dreamborn Muse

3 Thought Scour
    2 Unsummon
    2 Counterspell
    2 Into the Roil
    3 Mind Sculpt
    2 Crippling Chill
    1 Dream Fracture
    2 Mind Control
    2 Traumatise

2 Howling Mine
    2 Sapphire Medallion
    2 Font of Mythos

25 Island

The idea is that you are able to set up drawing more cards with Howling Mine and Font of Mythos, then each turn can bounce your opponent's threats back to hand (Unsummon, Aether Adept, Into the Roil) or stop them outright (Counterspell, Mind Control). You spend turn after turn delaying the inevitable, then your opponent simply runs out of time and cards to kill you with.

Goblin Gangland
    Goblin Gangland is about raw speed, trying to win before the opponent even realises there's a game on. It's the drag racer of decks - if the game goes past turn 5 then Goblin Gangland starts to get a bit nervous, but it's more than capable of winning on turn 4 a lot of the time. Gangland really benefits from unlocking cards because it's another deck, like Dream Puppets, that needs to be really focussed on it's purpose.

The key thing to be aware of is your deck's MANA CURVE. In the deck manager screen, down the bottom there is a little measure of how many cards in your deck are at each mana cost - I play a Goblin deck that fits the old Deadguy Red mana curve (we're talking Magic c.1997) and throws the entire thing down at 1 cost.

ORIGINAL 0/8/11/8/6/2/1
    UNLOCKED 0/15/10/6/4/2

With 15 1-drops I ensure not only that I will be able to play a creature on the first turn, but that I should be able to play 2 threats on the third turn, and maybe 3 threats on the fourth turn. If I'm doing that and my opponent is only playing 1 card per turn from the second turn, I generate a huge advantage early on.

ME 1 / 1 / 2 / 3
    HIM 0 / 1 / 1 / 1

By the end of turn 4 I've played 7 cards and he's only played 3 - I'm WAY ahead and can swarm his defences. Unfortunately I will pretty quickly hit 0 cards in hand and he'll be able to catch up, but I've got a big window for victory. That's called Tempo Advantage, it's why Goblin Gangland is so hard to beat.

Obedient Dead
    The black control deck. Odedient Dead loves to kill creatures, then finishes the game with some horrific 7-cost abomination from the pits of hell. If your opponent is playing a lot of creatures then he probably loses, if he's playing any other sort of strategy then Obedient Dead sits there with an Innocent Blood, Murder, and Mutilate in hand and watches you win. Liliana's Shade is suprisingly important to the deck, which needs the Swamps for it's big spells, but also needs to thin lands out of it's deck for later in the game.

Peacekeepers
    The gold standard for p***ing me off. Peacekeepers is full of pretty average cards that are simply there to carry the load for the three main ways of winning - Squadron Hawk, Geist-Honored Monk and Captain of the Watch. Peacekeepers is a lot slower than Goblin Gangland, but where Gangland is all-in on winning by turn 5, Peacekeepers has the legs for a longer fight. You kill all his men, he plays Geist-Honored Monk and has an instant army. So you kill the Geist and all the tokens, he plays Captain of the Watch for another instant army. So you kill the Captain and all the tokens, he plays Squadron Hawk to find an instant army, and this time you've run out of defences and lose. *sigh*

Exalted Darkness
    A one-trick pony. Exalted Darkness is all about Exalted, funnily enough. If your deck has either a) Instant-speed removal or b) mass removal this is an easy game. If your deck has neither of these things you probably lose. Instant speed removal means that when he says "I attack you with my 2/1" and waits to give it +5/+5 you can just laugh and kill his 2/1 and not take any damage at all, mass removal means that when he has 4 guys out at once in an effort to make a decent Exalted creatures, you can just sweep away 4 cards at once. Game over.

Ancient Wilds
    A bit tricksy and slow, the Ancient Wilds deck has lots of coming into play effects (Thragtusk, Elvish Visionary, Acidic Slime) and a couple of ways of returning those creatures to hand so you can use and reuse their effects. It can be fun to play around with that theme, and the deck works together very well, but what Ancient Wilds doesn't have is really any way of disrupting your opponent's plans. If you're trying to do something cute with Eternal Witness and Fauna Shaman and your opponent is trying to maul your face off it's going to end badly for you.

Briarpack Alpha is the key card for helping this deck to stand up for itself against the big boys and buy time for Thragtusk and Roaring Primadox to do their thing. It's got Natural Order/Terastodon though, which is one of the most fun things you can do in this game.

Crosswinds
    The most bonkers and difficult of the original ten decks. What looks at first glance like a deck of blue flying creatures is in fact a wacky infinite turns combo deck that features the card that is THE MOST FUN EVER - Rite of Replication. There are two or three overlapping combos in this deck that allow you to cast Time Warp to buy another turn, then return Time Warp to hand and do it again... your opponent never gets another turn! Panoptic Mirror will do it (either with Time Warp, or a Rite of Replication of Repulse if you've got Archaeomancer in play) or you can get to 14 mana simply cast Rite of Replication on Archaeomancer every turn, returning Rite of Replication and Time Warp to hand.

Getting to that ultra-powerful 14 mana stage is the hard part, and the deck often walks a tightrope of needing to draw the exact right card to stay alive another turn and lay another land. In the hands of a beginner I imagine it feels like a horrible mess, in the hands of an expert it's hugely rewarding.

Plus the number of opposing creatures that it's fun to cast a kicked Rite of Replication on is crazy (Rune-Scarred Demon, Pelakka Wurm, Captain of the Watch, Siege Gang Commander, Liliana's Specter, Acidic Slime...).

The version of Crosswinds I play...

3 Azure Mage
    3 Fog Bank
    1 Spiketail Hatchling
    2 Archaeomancer

3 Sleight of Hand
    2 Disperse
    2 Mana Leak
    2 Cancel
    2 Repulse
    3 Rite of Replication
    4 Talrand's Invocation
    1 Bribery
    2 Future Sight
    1 Gravitational Shift
    2 Time Warp
    1 Cast Through Time

1 Panoptic Mirror

25 Island

8. FoolishEarthling

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
  9. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    Dueling

Not a fan of the multiplayer version but the one on one version of the classic card game is amazing! Makes me want a table sized iPad to play it on:eek:

10. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    #1270 Brrobotix, Dec 30, 2012
    @FoolishEarthling thanks for the help! I was wondering about Goblin Gangland since I heard such great things about it. I actually unlocked the whole thing, hoping that would help me figure it out, but it still wasn't working. So should I try to remove some of the higher mana cost cards from my deck, since it looks like I won't be using them? I actually have been using Pack Instinct a lot, and I have found that against another creature deck its great because a lot of the cards allow you to have your creatures fight the opponents creatures. Given how strong your creatures are, these cards (and some creatures have an ability with the same effect) can be used to great effect. However against a control deck with instakill spells it gets pretty annoying and is hard to sustain.

I do love the Peacekeepers deck. Unless you're going up against a deck with lots of area-of-effect spells that deal set damage to all enemy monsters (ie Chandra's fury, another of my favorites) its a monster, though it can be frustrated by a control deck.

Its amazing how powerful just about any deck can be in the hands of an experienced player though. The difference in mage and archmage AIs is incredible, as I could beat the Mindstorms deck on my first try on mage, but I still haven't managed to beat it on archmage after upwards of 5 or 6 tries.

11. FoolishEarthling

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Here is my stock Goblin Gangland list that I play...

2 Goblin Arsonist
    2 Goblin Balloon Brigade
    2 Goblin Bushwhacker
    1 Goblin Fireslinger
    2 Goblin Guide
    2 Raging Goblin
    2 Ember Hauler
    2 Goblin Piledriver
    1 Goblin Wardriver
    2 Warren Instigator
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Goblin Chieftain
    2 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Clickslither
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    2 Siege-Gang Commander

2 Goblin Grenade
    2 Shock
    3 Krenko's Command

24 Mountain

12. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    #1272 tabs, Dec 30, 2012
  13. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Just took out Nicol Bolas with the speed build of the goblin gang deck. On my 4th turn I was able to use a relentless assault to finish him off, which was really exhilarating! Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to play around with the deck manager from now on.

14. Keithustus

Keithustus Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I'm having the same problem. Did this get answered? I must discard several cards at the end of my turn. How do I "drag to select" for discarding? Where do I drag them? I've dragged them up onto the mat, down over my discard pile, left, right, I've tried double clicking and looking for "choose card" like in Ascension (much better UI), but I can't discard. I had seven cards in my hand, used the Plane ability with the squiggly symbol to draw many more cards, now have 14, ending my turn, and I have to discard seven. But I can't! It won't let me discard them! Who can tell me how? I'm not going to give them $10 for the full version with crap like this.

15. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    When you discard multiple cards sometimes they only will discard after you've selected all of the cards you're discarding. For example, if it's three cards, you have to drag three separate cards down or up (pending the exact card) before all three are discarded together. After dragging each one, you can see that it was selected by a white outline replacing the orange one. Hope that helps

16. dwerny

dwerny Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Why can't I change the amount of mana in my deck? Am I missing something? I think the slower decks need more mana.

17. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Mana are set depending on the amount of colored cards you have in your deck. Example, more red cards = more red mana (based on casting cost if I am not mistaken). You cannot manually configure manas.

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Which is why I can't believe they still haven't developed a fully fledged version of magic for iphone/iPad, just like magic online or similar. There's so much money to be had with people buying/selling cards/decks/booster packs, much more than this set deck stuff. It would be the be all end all of card games for ios.

People should google/youtube "wagic" if they have a jailbroken Iphone and a bit of folder structure modding know how, to see what could really be out of this.

19. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Deck Pack 3 - Mana Mastery and Rogues out

20. FoolishEarthling

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Mana Mastery is one of the most interesting decks from a deckbuilding point of view... when you can play anything, which of the uber-powerful game winners do you leave on the bench?